Trick Challenge: Limp

MaryK

Honored Member
If I use my hand River will put pressure on it like he is trying to step. If I use a poll as a guide he will keep it up for a couple steps. I'll have to make a video of it and show you what I mean.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll try that today. As Leaf at times seems to know what I want but doesn't do it as yet.

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm having trouble getting Chloe to limp without support from my hand, so I think I'm going to try having Chloe target an object (instead of my hand) with her paw, and limp with her paw on it. I would start with something like a Popsicle stick, then keep using smaller objects, until I am using something that won't support her weight (like a pipe cleaner) and in order to target it she would have to limp without any support. If that makes any sense. :p
That's a good idea, I love it on this forum you can always find a creative way to get a trick to work. Now all I have to do is find a popsicle stick and something like a pipe cleaner.

MaryK

Honored Member
I think we got a minor breakthrough - which we really needed as every time I so much as think about training Zac seems to have a minor relapse and we have to postpone, this is the first time I've actually tried to break new ground with limp in over a week. It isn't a breakthrough by shaping though, just what felt right at the time.

Zac would lift a paw on the cue "limp" and we had built up a millisecond of duration using the "finish" cue. Today after a little revision of the above I ditched the clicker and when he raised the paw I presented a treat (well it's just his kibble but it's working at the moment), if he lowered the paw I took the treat away, if he kept the paw up he got the treat. He got the idea super fast, now he holds the paw up and chomps treats down as fast as he can. I thought I better quit before I over fed him but maybe, just maybe, if we take our time, I'll be able to lure him forward with his paw up because he knows the treat is taken away if he puts his paw down... here's hoping anyway :rolleyes:
Congratulations on a mini break through. Something else to try!

MaryK

Honored Member
Are you sure that Missy doesn't think that it is part of the trick to keep her foot in contact with your hand? You could try moving your hand away while she is mid step and clicking the non contact. Dogs are not stupid, if they are not making progress then we haven't explained it the right way.
Good point! I know Leaf's very smart and you have a good point. She now thinks my hand is part of the trick. Dogs sure aren't stupid, it's us as trainers who don't always managed to convey to them what we want.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Sometimes she leans heavily for support but other times she's barely resting on my finger. I am trying to make sure she's balanced correctly, i.e. not standing hard on her right leg, before I ask for the right left lift. This seems to help a little.
I guess this trick might be a little easier for males, as they already have the muscles developed for standing with one leg up. For the back leg anyway!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
You know when River was learning the front paw limp I used my hand to give him the idea of what I wanted. Then I phased it out by making it a wiggly/ wobbly surface to get him to realize he had to keep it up, but my hand wasn't staying in place and holding his foot up as well anymore. Then he started doing it more on his own.

Does that make sense?

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Somewhat of a busy day here leaping to a rushed filming job at the end of the day but Zac came up with his best limping attempt yet for his video moment I'm really proud of him :). Please ignore the heckling from his unappreciative audience!

Very nice! You did all that with free shaping? That is awesome! As for the unappreciative audience I can relate. The only comment River hears from my sister is "go away!" She is not at all a dog person.