Trick Challenge: Limp

Discussion in 'Training Challenges' started by running_dog, Mar 21, 2014.

1. MaryK Honored Member

That sounds like a good idea. I'll try that today. As Leaf at times seems to know what I want but doesn't do it as yet.

2. MaryK Honored Member

That's a good idea, I love it on this forum you can always find a creative way to get a trick to work. Now all I have to do is find a popsicle stick and something like a pipe cleaner.
    kassidybc likes this.
  3. MaryK Honored Member

Congratulations on a mini break through. Something else to try!
    kassidybc likes this.
  4. MaryK Honored Member

Good point! I know Leaf's very smart and you have a good point. She now thinks my hand is part of the trick. Dogs sure aren't stupid, it's us as trainers who don't always managed to convey to them what we want.
    brodys_mom and kassidybc like this.
  5. brody_smom Experienced Member

I guess this trick might be a little easier for males, as they already have the muscles developed for standing with one leg up. For the back leg anyway!
    MaryK and running_dog like this.
  6. kassidybc Experienced Member

So are any of us going to be done with this challenge by Saturday (the end of the challenge)? :p I know we won't be!
  7. running_dog Honored Member

Zac won't be :rolleyes:
    MaryK likes this.
  8. srdogtrainer Experienced Member

You know when River was learning the front paw limp I used my hand to give him the idea of what I wanted. Then I phased it out by making it a wiggly/ wobbly surface to get him to realize he had to keep it up, but my hand wasn't staying in place and holding his foot up as well anymore. Then he started doing it more on his own.

Does that make sense?
  9. srdogtrainer Experienced Member

We've made progress, but we will need more work to prefect it.
  10. srdogtrainer Experienced Member

11. srdogtrainer Experienced Member

I think he might have done a little better using his regular food. We have been using his regular food for everything lately so the hot dogs may have been a little distracting for him.
  12. brody_smom Experienced Member

River is so gorgeous! Of course, you already knew that.

I never thought of lowering the value of the treats. We've been having the same problem.
    MaryK, running_dog and srdogtrainer like this.
  13. brody_smom Experienced Member

Brody neither.
    MaryK, kassidybc and running_dog like this.
  14. srdogtrainer Experienced Member

Training session 2, without hot dogs.
    kassidybc, brodys_mom and running_dog like this.
  15. srdogtrainer Experienced Member

I think that is all we will have for this challenge for now. Sat's are very busy for me. I am looking forward to seeing everyones' progress so far.
    running_dog, MaryK and brodys_mom like this.
  16. running_dog Honored Member

Somewhat of a busy day here leaping to a rushed filming job at the end of the day but Zac came up with his best limping attempt yet for his video moment I'm really proud of him :). Please ignore the heckling from his unappreciative audience!

17. running_dog Honored Member

I'm guessing that we Trick Challengers could all do with another week on this trick before I post the next one?
  18. srdogtrainer Experienced Member

Very nice! You did all that with free shaping? That is awesome! As for the unappreciative audience I can relate. The only comment River hears from my sister is "go away!" She is not at all a dog person.
    running_dog and MaryK like this.
  19. srdogtrainer Experienced Member

I think we would benefit greatly with an extra week or two. This is a pretty hard trick! Congrats to everyone that gave it a try! :D
    running_dog, MaryK and kassidybc like this.
  20. kassidybc Experienced Member

Another week or two would be helpful. :)
    running_dog and MaryK like this.