Trick Challenge: Limp

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm so impressed with all these reports that are coming in now of dogs that have finally got the idea of limp, you and your dogs are all totally amazing :cool:. Hopefully Brody's moment will soon come :).

Zac is definitely withdrawing from the challenge now. I'm going to try to train hind leg limp another time but I don't think front leg limp is a good idea for him. This week he really hurt his "limping" paw (typical!). Even when he was in quite severe pain he would not limp by choice he either stood still or walked but very very lightly. I think it's maybe because his legs are so spindly and to limp he'd have to land with a lot of force on one paw whereas to walk he can land very lightly on whichever paw he chooses. Basically I've decided that if he would sooner endure pain like that rather than limp I don't think it is a trick I should be teaching him. I've seen him limp quite willingly on his back paw so I will try to teach him hind leg limp and post a video when he has 4 good legs to stand on again.

Sorry to you all for pulling out like this.

Looking forward to seeing all your videos when you get a chance to post them. With all of these breakthroughs do you still want another week or would you prefer to finish on Monday?
Poor Zac, big hugs to him hope he's better soon. Shame he has to pull out but of course it's what's best for Zac which counts, not a challenge.

MaryK

Honored Member
Well partner has grunted affirmative to videoing Leaf's limp tomorrow HOORAY only been asking for a solid week! So all going well should have it up tomorrow.

Plus I think I've finally got Leaf to do a normal limp LOL not a Leaping Limp!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Well partner has grunted affirmative to videoing Leaf's limp tomorrow HOORAY only been asking for a solid week! So all going well should have it up tomorrow.

Plus I think I've finally got Leaf to do a normal limp LOL not a Leaping Limp!
I'm looking forward to seeing this. Tell partner he better keep to his word, there are people counting on him!

MaryK

Honored Member
Leaf's Limp Challenge Video - finally!

Please pardon my coughing, male kindly shared his 'male virus' and I've been quite sick all week. Nothing of course as bad as he was/is - mines just a cold - female one;)

Also please excuse sound effects, planes were over head, fortunately taking off so not as noisy.:rolleyes:

Plus not the best title, sorry, not sure what went wrong but as it's the trick which is important feel toosick to mess around with the title etc.

First time, she did it really well. But male complained about lighting:rolleyes:

Second attempt, Leaf wanted to do her 'Leaping Limp" so we had to retry;)

Third attempt, I wasn't supporting her just trying to stop her running us both into the fence:eek:

I think she managed about 7/8 limps. Anyone who wants to count and let me know I'd appreciate that, as I had problems bending over (nose runs and coughs) so didn't do an accurate count.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
First - I LOVE Leaf's limp, I thought it was GREAT! I think she's adorable and I think she's got such a sad little limp I wanted to reach thru and help her. :love::LOL: Great job Mary!!! And Runningdog is right - do a leaping-limp on alt legs (sort of) and she would look like she was skipping! :ROFLMAO: Maybe that can be your next trick?

And Dogster -- you're back!!! Where have you been?? We've been about to send form a search party and send it out!! Hope you stick around for a while (or at least don't ever disappear for good). I bet Shivon would catch on really quickly. Are you back for a while? (sorry, don't mean to hijack).

Not training this one (or really, anything complicated anymore) - with a 10 yr old (well, in a couple mos) and an 8-1/2 yr old with a bad back end, we're just sticking to 4 on the floor.

running_dog

Honored Member
Not training this one (or really, anything complicated anymore) - with a 10 yr old (well, in a couple mos) and an 8-1/2 yr old with a bad back end, we're just sticking to 4 on the floor.
Why not join us for the crawl challenge? Just posted it, lots of options for four on the floor dogs :cool:

And having Dogster back is well worth a derail :)

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Leaf's Limp Challenge Video - finally!

Please pardon my coughing, male kindly shared his 'male virus' and I've been quite sick all week. Nothing of course as bad as he was/is - mines just a cold - female one;)

Also please excuse sound effects, planes were over head, fortunately taking off so not as noisy.:rolleyes:

Plus not the best title, sorry, not sure what went wrong but as it's the trick which is important feel toosick to mess around with the title etc.

First time, she did it really well. But male complained about lighting:rolleyes:

Second attempt, Leaf wanted to do her 'Leaping Limp" so we had to retry;)

Third attempt, I wasn't supporting her just trying to stop her running us both into the fence:eek:

I think she managed about 7/8 limps. Anyone who wants to count and let me know I'd appreciate that, as I had problems bending over (nose runs and coughs) so didn't do an accurate count.
No apologies necessary, Mary. It looks great, and I usually put the sound down when watching videos anyway! You have done well, both of you! I love the "intermission" for Leaf to have a good scratch. Brody pulls that one all the time when he gets bored. BTW, it is funny how the male version of a virus is always more serious than the female one!

MaryK

Honored Member
Well done to Leaf and Mary (and to your semi tame cameraman :))!
If you got her to leaping-limp on alternate legs she would look like she was skipping... that would be a super trick too :cool:.
Thank you:D Leaf's a dream dog to work with, so willing, if she doesn't get it then I know it's me not giving her clear instructions:):rolleyes:

LOL you've got the camera man well summed up!:LOL::rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion. That would be something akin to an extended trot - o.k. she's a dog not a horse - I'll work on that with her. Any suggestions as to how to get her to change legs and not get confused over which trick I want would be appreciated.:D

MaryK

Honored Member
First - I LOVE Leaf's limp, I thought it was GREAT! I think she's adorable and I think she's got such a sad little limp I wanted to reach thru and help her. :love::LOL: Great job Mary!!! And Runningdog is right - do a leaping-limp on alt legs (sort of) and she would look like she was skipping! :ROFLMAO: Maybe that can be your next trick?

And Dogster -- you're back!!! Where have you been?? We've been about to send form a search party and send it out!! Hope you stick around for a while (or at least don't ever disappear for good). I bet Shivon would catch on really quickly. Are you back for a while? (sorry, don't mean to hijack).

Thank you Jackie:D LOL she's a great actor as well, if only you could see her face more clearly, she get's this little 'frown' of concentration which goes so well with the limp trick.:) Yes, I get what you are both saying, that would be uber cool. Any suggestions as to how I teach it? Don't what the girly confused over which trick I want. Rather like an extended trot for a horse - LOL a miniture horse!

Derail away, I too am thrilled Dogster is back and you're right she better not disappear again like that, had me so worried too!

I'm with you on training Golden Oldies, Zeus too has retired, due to wonky back legs and cushings disease. He now participates as the audience, except when videoing too distracting for the semi-tame camera man:D

MaryK

Honored Member
No apologies necessary, Mary. It looks great, and I usually put the sound down when watching videos anyway! You have done well, both of you! I love the "intermission" for Leaf to have a good scratch. Brody pulls that one all the time when he gets bored. BTW, it is funny how the male version of a virus is always more serious than the female one!
Thank you:) LOL never sure with Leaf whether it's boredom (oh staff nowadays, really can't the camera man get the lighting right BEFORE the Star Appears) or her allergy, there were ants around and they bite like mad! Probably a bit of both! She doesn't like being kept waiting during trick time:eek:

Oh you're so right, the male of the species (humanoid anyway) ALWAYS has a worse cold is in MORE pain etc. etc. and they claim to be the stronger sex!:rolleyes:

MaryK

Honored Member
Why not join us for the crawl challenge? Just posted it, lots of options for four on the floor dogs :cool:

And having Dogster back is well worth a derail :)
Do please join in with the Crawl trick Jackie. LOL some of those juice lamb bones should do the trick - oops no pun intended. Seriously, even Zeus may attempt crawl, no promises though, he takes forever to learn a trick, though once he's 'got it' he never forgets!

running_dog

Honored Member
Thanks for the suggestion. That would be something akin to an extended trot - o.k. she's a dog not a horse - I'll work on that with her. Any suggestions as to how to get her to change legs and not get confused over which trick I want would be appreciated.:D
I would start with her in front of you and get her to target each of your hands in turn with alternate feet while you back away. That way it feels like a different trick to her.

MaryK

Honored Member
Wow Mary, Leaf is limping fantastically! :) Chloe still hasn't gotten this trick, I think we may take a break, and come back to it later.
Thank you, she's a dream dog to work with, always willing to learn and work, I'm so lucky!:D
Sometimes having a break works wonders, so maybe Chloe would benefit from a break. I've found quite often a short break from a difficult trick works, the dog comes back with a clear mind and quite often does the trick with ease "Hey Mom this is what you wanted isn't it?".

Chloe will get it so don't give up altogether:D And don't forget to post when she does, albeit maybe a bit late:D