Meet Baby Boy

mRae

I would say when she is in a sitting position take her front legs and bring the out in front of her until she is in a lieing position while saying "lie down" then treat.
as for another trick
have her sit. put a treat down in front of her. tell her "wait" if she trys to go for it put your hand in front of her and say "wait" again, keep saying "wait" untill she sits and waits. after a few sec's. point to the treat and nod your head. tell her "OK" after a while all you have to do is put the treat down she should wait without you saying anything and then nod your head ok for her to get the treat.
Thanks, Sammeeee, I will try that. She gets really excited when I touch her though. We will def work on the wait for treat. That would be fun for Aiden to practice with her. She learns really fast too,

MaryK

Honored Member
Actually there is an easy way to teach 'lie down/drop' just hold a treat close to her nose and lower it down to the ground, just slightly in front, that way she will automatically lie down/drop. When she's completely down, reward with click/treat.

It's better than taking her legs out and down from the sit as some dogs do not like this being done to them.

MaryK

Honored Member
( Rocky ) = Rocky Road Ice Cream,
Vanilla
Chocolate
Carmel
and a little Nuttts

if you have seen Rocky Road Ice Cream, the Vanilla, Chocolate, and Carmel all swirled together that is how Rocky's colors look. and he is a little Nuttt. lol
That's GORGEOUS, he's such a sweetie too:love:

mRae

Actually there is an easy way to teach 'lie down/drop' just hold a treat close to her nose and lower it down to the ground, just slightly in front, that way she will automatically lie down/drop. When she's completely down, reward with click/treat.

It's better than taking her legs out and down from the sit as some dogs do not like this being done to them.

Thanks, Mary, that is what I tried first, but she is such a low rider, she didn't go down. Maybe I need to just wait longer? She just stretched out in a low low sit. Should i click that and then keep working toward down? Maybe she will get tired of 'stretching' and lie down?

mRae

Hi All, Meet my new Baby Boy Shih Tzu, almost 5 weeks old so it will be 2 1/2 weeks before I can bring him home. An't he sweet? am counting the days until I can bring him home, the lady told me he had his first bath and grooming yesterday and did good. hope I can train him and have him in his full Shih Tzu glory, my Presious a 5 year old female hates to be groomed so she gets a short cut. looking forward to start all kinds of training with him. maybe some will rub off on Presious lol. will post more pics as I get them, in my profile pic is Presious 5 years old to the front, and Sissy Dog 8 years old to the back. I lost him to doggie cancer last December. had them both since they where 8 weeks old. hoping Baby Boy will be a good friend to Presious so she won't have to be alone.
Somebody here got a new fleece dress for Christmas. She gets so cold!

Attachments

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks, Mary, that is what I tried first, but she is such a low rider, she didn't go down. Maybe I need to just wait longer? She just stretched out in a low low sit. Should i click that and then keep working toward down? Maybe she will get tired of 'stretching' and lie down?
I would wait a little and keep asking for down, before click/treating her, otherwise she'll think that the low, low sit is what you want and keep giving you that instead of down. I wouldn't click/treat for that at all.

Maybe just take the treat a fraction further away - in front of her - so she has to really 'stretch'. That may get her all the way down. I haven't had this problem myself, all my dogs have been large/medium sizes, so gone down easily.

mRae

We have taken a little back step here. Lucca will pee on our walks, but does not want to poo on the leash. Ideas anybody?

MaryK

Honored Member
I had a German Shepherd the same. Maybe Lucca needs a little more 'sniffing time' and also (this may sound weird but it was the case with my GS) some 'privacy'. I found with my dog if I turned slightly away, then she'd poo for me.

Also does Lucca go for his walk straight after eating? He may have already done his business if he goes a while after eating and not need to go again, except to pee.