Meet Baby Boy

Sameeee

with all thats been going on here it is hard to beleve it has been 2 months since Rocky came home. he has grown he is 4 1/2 lbs and as spoiled as can be. Precious is all momma to him. cleaning his ears. comes running to check on him if he crys, sleeping together. and having a blast playing together. it has been so good for Precious she is so happy now.
when I would walk on the treadmill Rocky would try to get on so I put him on and he loves walking on it. I only let him on a few sec's at a time and will up the time on as he grows, now Precious on the other hand says not gona no way ya not going to make me walk on that thing lol
will post pics as I get them

Dogster

Honored Member
To post pics, just click the "Attatch a File or Photo" button beside the "post reply" button. Once you click it, you can upload a file.:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Hi Sameee, was just thinking about you the other night! So very happy that things have worked out so well for you. Rocky and Precious sound like they are the perfect match. So cute that Precious is into full on "Mommy Mode", that's adorable:love:

LOL well one dog loving the treadmill is grand, Precious obviously isn't the sporting kinda gal and not into gym work!:rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing pics of them both.:D

mRae

Hi All, Meet my new Baby Boy Shih Tzu, almost 5 weeks old so it will be 2 1/2 weeks before I can bring him home. An't he sweet? am counting the days until I can bring him home, the lady told me he had his first bath and grooming yesterday and did good. hope I can train him and have him in his full Shih Tzu glory, my Presious a 5 year old female hates to be groomed so she gets a short cut. looking forward to start all kinds of training with him. maybe some will rub off on Presious lol. will post more pics as I get them, in my profile pic is Presious 5 years old to the front, and Sissy Dog 8 years old to the back. I lost him to doggie cancer last December. had them both since they where 8 weeks old. hoping Baby Boy will be a good friend to Presious so she won't have to be alone.
Hi Sameeee, I have a 9 week old girl shihtzu. She is fun. Maybe we can compare notes as we go along. I am not accustomed to raising a puppy, have only had two others this young. Most of my dogs have been rescues and came along a bit later in their lives. This little one is quite a character. I am getting a real kick out of her antics and relearning much that I long ago forgot. Your baby boy is a real cutie!

Sameeee

Hi mRae. having a shih tzu puppy is so much fun you get to see their personalty come thro. BB Rocky is 4 months old now and makes me laugh so hard with all he does. he is growing so fast too. too fast lol. your wittle girl looks so much like Rocky. she is going to be a beauty when she grows up. start brushing her now so she will get usta it. I am gona try to get Rocky in full shih tzu glory. they are so beautiful with long fur. a pain to take care of but worth it. the shih tzu is a very smart breed. they learn fast .
have fun with your BB girl and if you need any help just ask I will help all I can.

mRae

Thank you Sameeee, I want to try and have Lucca in full coat too. I have been laying her down and stroking her and combing a bit, handling her feet and telling her good 'grooming', I also lay her on her back on my lap and stoke under her neck and legs so I will be able to get her to let me work on those areas later, hopefully, if she is very tangled. She is soooo funny, makes me laugh with her antics-runs like crazy sometimes. She was born on 9/11/12 so she is still very young. I am not sure how much she can absorb at this age, but I try to just assume she gets something out of the stuff we do together without expecting total understanding. Lucca is growing fast too. She weighed 3.4 when I got her and now she is already 4.75-I weigh her on my kitchen scale-it goes to 8 # so after that I will have to find another way. She was the largest puppy in the litter-I wonder if that means she will be big, or she just started out that way? I don't have alot of experience with really young puppies. I only raised two very young ones-one a rescue whippet whose mom died when th puppys were born. I got him at 5 weeks when the breeder just couldn't cope with all the puppies. She had tried fostering them on one of the other dogs with puppies without success. Then my female standard poodle came to me at 8 weeks-she was without question the most sensitve and amazing dog I ever had. She became my mom's old age companion and was a devoted 'nurse' during my husbands fatal bout with cancer. She died peacefully in my lap last summer. It was such a painful loss, but we had had a rich life together. I am looking forward to raising Lucca to be as tuned in to people as 'Hettie' was. I think she has the temperament for that. It is why I chose her--or rather she chose me. She was the puppy that kept returning to me and stayed in my lap while I was with her 'family'. I actually went to look at the puppies with the intent of getting her sister who had a mostly black face and ws very cute. But Lucca clearly knew what was best. I look forward to being able to check in with you and others on the site about her progress and what might be different about this breed. My sister had one when her children were young, a male, and his delightful temperament was what led me to get Lucca. When it came to family fun, he was a champ! I am paper training her at the moment as my vet is very cautious about the outdoors until she is fully immunized-But then I will transition her to outdoor potty time. We have rainy winters here, so it could be a bit of a challenge. At least there is not a lot of 'dog' to bathe. My back yard is mostly patio and gravel terrace, so that is where we will have the 'potty' area. I have a door off my bedroom, so that should make it pretty easy to access. Please post more photos of BB Rocky and your whole family! Photos are so fun!

mRae

Lucca sounds like a very smart sweet furbaby. the thing about shih tzu's is the more you treat them like children the more they respond. here is a link to one of my other posts on how I potty trained Rocky. worked great only took him a week to get it right.

http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/home-made-potty-patch.5441/
Sammeeee that is awesome-Lucca does really well with my kitchen and her piddlepads, but when there are area rugs involved, she gets confused. So basically she understand to go to something not 'the floor' but does not always manage to find the piddlepad. Sometimes she thinks her blanket or an area rug is ok. Suggestions? Is that why you made 'grass'? I got dog litter. She thinks that is either to chew or lay on. even though I put her pad on top of it. I think she may be gtting confused by too many 'options'. I know I do. O_o

Sameeee

you just have to keep after her, and watch her if it looks like she is going to go on a rug grab her and take her to the potty pad and say "on the potty pad" so she knows where you are wanting her do go. you can take up the rugs for a while so they won't confuse her. plus they could smell like potty and she will go back to them. I never used dog litter before so can't say much on it. I made the potty patch like the ones they sell. but bigger it has worked great. the problems I had with potty pads is they think it's something to play with and tear it up lol

mRae

Rocky is 4 months old now and is growing so fast. like with all puppys ya just want them to stay babies.
Would love to see some new photos of Rocky. Yes, they grow so fast! Lucca is really growing and becoming more coordinated and much more tuned in too. We have been playing training games, she loves them!!

mRae

So now I have a question, probably silly, but I can't think how to do this. Lucca is sleeping all night, knows how to use the potty pad and will sit and give me eye contact. How though do you teach a dog with 3" legs to lie down from a sit? I have always lured my dogs to down, but she is so low, holding the lure on the ground does nothing???? I am not sure how to train this. Do I wait to capture the behavior? She does lie down a lot, but I don't see how to put that on cue. I'm sure the answer is obvious, but not to me. O_o

mRae

Also, what should I teach her next? My grandson is expecting a new trick a week-he loves to help me with her. I am thinking something easy for him to help with. He usually comes for dinner on Sundays, and he is 8.

Sameeee

I would say when she is in a sitting position take her front legs and bring the out in front of her until she is in a lieing position while saying "lie down" then treat.
as for another trick
have her sit. put a treat down in front of her. tell her "wait" if she trys to go for it put your hand in front of her and say "wait" again, keep saying "wait" untill she sits and waits. after a few sec's. point to the treat and nod your head. tell her "OK" after a while all you have to do is put the treat down she should wait without you saying anything and then nod your head ok for her to get the treat.