Me, Jenny, Bella & Zara

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
:) Had nice training sessions with Bella today, earlier I did loose leash walking in the kitchen aswell as stay (whilst I made a cup of tea lol) and leg weaving whilst walking - first time tried that and shes getting it quick, and of course Boo lol she is getting the idea of that now. She's wanting me to play fetch so I'll probley do the toy box one in a minute. Infact she keeps looking at her toybox and then me and back again.

Zara isss the worst patient ever, shes sooo boucy and we keep wincing and going careful of your stitches. Did a bit of loose leash walking yesterday in the living room and she was ok. But she's a horrible puller outside. I've heard mention of a newtrix head collar - are they any good as we have tried haltis and harnesses and both together and i can't walk her and mum struggles.

Dogster

Honored Member
Did you try stopping every time Zara pulls???? When I trained Shivon, I used a treat and always had it by my side. Every time she would walk nicely or look at me, I would give her a treat. She eventually learned not to pull (although she still sometimes pulls in unfamiliar areas).

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Doesn't work at all, nor does turning round. She never gives any slack. At a loss of what to do. Zara is very hard to get focused. So she has no interest in treats or even toys out the house.

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh my.... well, umm.....I kind of ran out of ideas.:( Rollerblading (or any type of exercise for that matter) would be good for Zara (before a walk), maybe it would calm her down. Although, I probably wouldn't risk rollerblading with Shivon nor Zara.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
She tends to go to the park to run loose to get her exercise, but like now she cant do that as shes only supposed to be going on short walks because of the stitches and we can't because she pulls so much and we dont want her to do something to the stitches. Just sometimes we cant always go to the park and it would be nice to be able to walk her on leash.

Dogster

Honored Member
I forgot to answer before, but I've tried one of those halters. It wasn't tthat company though. I used it for about 2 days with Shivon (she was still a little puppy). It didn't work at all. She still pulled, and she wanted to get herself out of it. (she would probably get used to it eventually, but she was so miserable and she didn't want to walk) I think the devices all claim to work, but there may be mixed results, depending on the dog. Maybe it would work for Zara.....

sara

Staff member
The Newtrix works with oppositional reflex. it puts pressure on the back of the neck as well as the bridge of the nose... worked like a damn for Buck, my deaf foster BC who pulled like a freight train!!!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
The only thing that worked for Z was a head collar. I used the Gentle Leader with him, as at the time that was the only one I'd heard good things from. I didn't know then about aaaaallll the other head collars that are out there. Anyway, the turnaround method did nothing for Zeke, we could have walked a hole in the ground walking back and forth and he still would have been zooming one direction and then the other when I turned around. Stopping when he pulled did no good either, for him. Stopping and backing up did no good for him. I couldn't reward him either for coming back with anything but praise, because at the time he didn't have his tennis ball obsession and he had ZERO interest in food. Still has zero interest in food but he is now motivated by tennis balls. We tried a GL at the recommendation of a trainer friend of mine and he's been wonderful ever since. The great thing about head collars is that you CAN wean them off of them so that eventually you don't need it.
You DO have to do some conditioning to get them to like the head collar. It's a weird feeling for them, they are not used to things on their faces. Conditioning them to it is very important. I'm starting this tomorrow with the Lab I've been working with. Any method works with him, but his owner is very very petite and he's a big dog; she has trouble working with him with the turnaround method and the stopping-when-he-pulls method. He gets it, but she has a tough time handling him so she can't really work with him enough to get him good at it. So we're starting with the head collar tomorrow so she can handle him easier, as it is tougher for them to pull in a head collar.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Might try the newtrix collar. Gentle leaders don't work on Zara, any kind nor any harness. Just wanted to see what other people thought before I saw about ordering one because they aren't cheap and i can only get it by ordering directly from them because they don't see them in the uk

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Yep only started training her this yesterday. Uploading a video of her practicing boo aswell, will post that when she's done.

Dogster

Honored Member
OMG!!!!! SOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO: Are you going to teach Bella cop-cop (your paws on my feet) afterwards????

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
yep gonna give it a try once shes use to doing boo.

I like the bit where she creeps towards me and then when i say boo appears between my legs. Didnt realise she'd creeped till i watched video back lol

Dogster

Honored Member
Awwwww....... I wish Shivon knew that so I wouldn't have to teach her. (I have a long list of tricks that I want to teach her this year already and I keep adding more!!!):p

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Me too lol i have a long list and as people post more tricks the list gets longer lol

Boo??? was that the one you wish she knew -if so its quiet easy using lure, i lured her through then clicked and treated till she seemed to get it. Not sure yet how i'll progress from that to getting her to put her paws on my feet for copcop

Dogster

Honored Member
I think I'll teach Shivon boo next week. This week I'm teaching her roll in a blanket and ashamed. I'm also going to practice clean up. She puts her toys away in pretty much any box (without a command). I need to teach her to do it WITH a command.:rolleyes:

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
I need to teach her roll over - so far luring isn't working. Shs doesn't seem to be getting it yet. So i've been giving it a break before i try again.
And as for ashamed putting tape on her face or snout doesnt work she just looks at me to say what are you doin?? lol:rolleyes: