Me, Jenny, Bella & Zara

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
That's ok. Like I said just wish I knew someone else with a dog - my friends have cats or one has a gerbil (i have 2) lol so they no help.

Can't do any at the moment though anyway as she is in season and has sore paws so can't even take her for a walk at the mo till they better really need to get some boots for her for on tarmac if shes gonna run.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
I know my dogs and Bella is definately the sort who would rather run and avoid any confrontation rather than figh or rather bite. I could only see her biting if she was cornered although the other day when she hurt her paws from running from the dog that got into the tennis court she was all for running didnt even try to go to bite or growl just run. SHe would avoid it.
Zara is the one you have to watch of the two.
Bella is just like Jenny was when she was younger, they have the exact same temperament(and Jenny was teased as a puppy by our neighbours so has more reason to be fearful of humans) she loves dogs now but not always and shes fine with people aslong as they dont speak to her, but if you throw her ball she loves you. Bella has the same ball obsession so hopefully that would help in the future via introductions or stuff rather than treats.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I'm about ready to give up, but, i'm stoked you will seek out a behaviorist to help you help Zara and Bella.

//"Like I said just wish I knew someone else with a dog - my friends have cats or one has a gerbil (i have 2) lol so they no help."//

If you do locate ppl with dogs,
they may not have any knowledge on how to best approach your dogs having possible aggression issue.
Their dogs may have exact wrong type of personality for your dogs to work with.

Helping rehab aggressive dogs,
is a lil more involved,
than just finding other dogs,
or friends with no training
to help you figure it out as you go along.

If your dogs do have aggression or FEAR issues, they are way more likely to bite.Please google "Fear Biting",
it is common in shy or anxious dogs, so Bella may be prone to this development if mishandled, and tends to get worse as they get older. not better. Unless treated with counter-conditioning, etc
that is GREAT Bella hasn't bit anyone yet, but, she is in risk group for this behavior to develop, so you'd want to proceed with best trainer/behaviorist you can find, to head off whole issue escalating to biting. It could.

Lol, most of the articles i find on it, are not great enough to post, as they all have something in the article i didn't like.

Like this one:
(the last lines kinda bite, and, as usual, they make no reference to the fact it is genetic disorder)
http://www.petfinder.com/pet-training/fear-biting.html

GOOD LUCK!

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
I'm not sure shes a "shy dog" as you are saying it, more nervous i think she just needs to learn to interact more. I think Zara has made it worse as I have said she is a bit of a bully. You have your opinion and I have mine. I feel Bella is more likely to climb up a tree to get away from anything she is scared of or hide behind us than get anywhere near to what shes afraid of let alone within biting distance. She's not really confrontational thats more zaras style not Bellas. I feel biting would occur if ever only if she was forced into a corner as it were. Unlike Zara, Bella isn't a nippy dog even in play with us.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Yes, many ppl call shy dogs, "nervous" dogs, and scientists, cutely enough, refer to them as "anxious" dogs. "Shy" dogs is old school term, and i'm older. It's genetic, whatever you call it. Many many other members here, also own shy dogs, too. YOu are not alone. Some ppl also call them "fearful" dogs.
Some of the ppl here who have shy dogs who bite if strangers reach for their dog, call it "fear aggression" in their "fearful" dog. It's same thing. I just call it "shy" cuz that's the old term for it.

But we can make them better (or worse), on how they are managed.
It's not my "opinion" that shy dogs are more likely to bite ppl, than "normal" dogs, it's a fact. You can ask your behaviorists when you get there.
Good luck!

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Why aren't your dogs neutered/spayed, btw?
Zara only had her 1st season a month or 2 ago and shes a late bloomer and they like it to be between half way between seasons to spay.

Jenny is neutred.

Bella I want her to feel more comfortable before I feel comfortable leaving her with strangers even if it is a vet. This is only bella second season aswell she had her 1st feb last year on her 1st birthday

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Nope not breeding, and most especially not with zara *shivers thinking about 10 mini zaras* she was a terror as a pup and still is lol she should be being done in the next few months

Dogster

Honored Member
LOL!! I've seen videos of dogs bouncing in the snow, that must have been hilarious!:ROFLMAO: Wow! Your neighbourhood needs dogs! At least they have each other to play with!:D

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Next time we get some more deep snow I'll have to video them. It was Bellas first time in deep snow and she loved it. Was funny because at the end she has ice balls handing off her back end and it between her paws. I think i have a couple of pictures.

Found them.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
CUTE DOGS!
the snow here can get up to Buddy's chest. I live about 30 minutes from one of the "Great Lakes" (Lake Michigan) and we get TONS of "lake effect" snow, even more snow than areas much further north of us.
We even have to shovel paths in the yard, and lil circles of shallower snow, as Buddy seems unable to poop in snow that deep, as his rearend is under the snow, too.

It's like Buddy has to "swim" in the snow sometimes!
but, this winter, not so bad....yet. (crossing fingers, hee hee)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Next time snow is up to Buddy's chest, i'll try to get a picture! He does weirdest 'run' in that deep of snow, if it isn't real soft snow, then
Buddy will sort of leap in and out of the snow, too funny:ROFLMAO: like a bunny.

and every winter,
he has to learn all over again, that he can't really sniff the snow the way he sniffs the ground. He sniffs at the snow too hard at first,
gets a nosefull of snow up his nose,
and then spends a minute or two pawing his nose, and blowing it all back out again, shaking his head in annoyance at the discomfort of having snow up inside his nose........but, soon enough, each winter, he learns how to safely sniff at snow at right amount of pressure, i guess..

til next winter, then he has to learn that all over again!

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Jenny was so obsessed with her ball she tried rolling a ball of snow lol.
Infact today she was eyeing this huge branch and then looking at me then to the branch - I was like nope don't even try lifting that.
Took them all to this new place where there were a few dogs but not all at once. Think it will be a good place to do some training with them individually.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Hahahaha sooo funny and cute and clever.

Jenny even brings leaves for us to throw - I mean come on leaves they arent gonna go far lol. think i have a pic of her bringing one somewhere.

Here it is - not the best pic but theres the leaf in her mouth as shes charging towards me lol