I Think We Need A Thread On What Everyone Is Working On!

sara

Staff member
Like I said in the title, we should have a thread going on what everyone is working on atm. Give people and newbies more ideas.

It'll probably be best if everyone keeps it updated, so when a trick is done, (I know they're not ever done completely! LOL) say so, or post a video, then say what we're working on next.

sara

Staff member
Oliver is working on:

Shy- we've only done one session, but he's consistantly wiping his face now without the tape, we just need to add time.

Moonwalk- Again, only one session so far, but he's already going 3 or 4 "steps"

Cross paws- this is the single hardest thing I've ever tried to teach Oliver... But he will now do right over left consistantly on verbal cue only... left over right? not yet! LOL

Lift back leg like he's peeing- He's to the point that he will do it with an object on cue... trying to fade the object

Balance on a broomstick- He'll put all 4 paws on a 3" beam, but the broomstick gets 3 only so far.

Pray- He's mostly there, but we need to fade the lure.

sara

Staff member
Mouse is working on:

Say No- She's hilarious, and needs to slow down, so far she does this so fast she looks like she's shaking. and we have yet to get a cue, right now, her cue is the books with the tape on them.

Elephant trick/rear end awareness- Almost there, but she has a habit of moving off the block still

Shy- she's at the same point as Oliver, she'll wipe her face, but no time yet.

Backwards Weave- So far she's halfway.

sara

Staff member
Boo is working on:

Push a ball towards me- He knows to push the ball, but so far, he pushes it everywhere. I think I'm going to have to go back to square one

rear end awareness- I want him to back onto a book... but he has no idea what a back end is! LOL

Dlilly

Honored Member
Chance-

*Cross paws- I'm still asking for his paw. This trick is hard!
*Take my socks off- He can pull my sock off when I wiggle my foot. Just need to add the cue now.
*teeter totter- Just working on up contacts now. :)

Shiloh-

*Lift back leg- still working on this one
*soccer- she will push the ball once, but she has a thing with using her paws instead of her nose
*backward circles around me- Both at step 1. this trick is hard for ME.

Anneke

Honored Member
Jinx:

Back up: at the stage where she can do 3-5 steps with lure. I'm am adding the cue right now.

Help me up: She knows what to do, but the backing up on three legs is hard for her:D So still with lure

Say your prayers on my arm: am adding the cue and fading the lure.

Cross your paws: to the right almost perfect, adding the cue. To the left still with lure.

Backstall(jump on my back): I am still on all four(hands and knees), building upwards.

Cooper:

Help me up: need to add the cue

Cross your paws: to the left is on cue. To the right needs a little more time. It is on cue, but sometimes still needs a little luring.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Buddy is working on "Invisible Boundaries" so he won't step off of his own yard onto street unless released to do so,
and this week, and every week, he is also working on not chasing bunnies :rolleyes: and refocusing back onto me after a bunny runs by.

and this week, we are also still working on a heelwork/doggie dance routine to song "Stand By Me":ROFLMAO: by Ben E. King.
Buddy needs to hold a beg long enough to do a "shy" move while sitting up straight in beg position, (Buddy is NOT great at prolonged beg positionO_o )
for the lyric that goes "And i won't cry" line.

oh yeah, and "help me up" but, i'd forgotten i am working on THAT one!!:ROFLMAO:

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Missy's working on:

Recall in backyard - my yard is full of birds and squirrels so we'll be on this one for a while.

Off leash obedience - working on teaching Missy not to chase cars, bikes or joggers... must work on this or she'll never be reliable off leash... but I am not giving up!

Stacking cups - she can stack them (if I'm holding the first one and put it under her nose), now I need to put the base on the floor and keep it there, and work from there.

Shame - she wipes her face after she chews on a bone or after eating her dinner. Still need to capture this a bit more, then add the cue.

Missy and I have some work to do... but we will get there! ;)

Jasper's working on:

Beg/Sit Pretty - I just need to fade the treat and he'll be good to go! :)

Dogster

Honored Member
Shivon is working on:

backwards weave: perfecting it!!!!:)

around: almost done!!!!

backwards circles: going to start (y)

cross paws: going to start (y)

Oh, and RECALL, something we will be working on for a while, LOL:ROFLMAO: Good progress though!!!:D

running_dog

Honored Member
Zac is fairly regularly working on....

Help me up - Was going okay then suddenly it was all, "Paw? what paw? whose paw? which paw? Oh how about I give you bow instead?" :confused:

Shell game - Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease sniff the top of the plant pots don't just push them all over!

Back up - we have a verbal cue but Zac only does a couple of paces.

Itchy back - an accidental trick, need to separate verbal cue from "roll over"

Roll over - Zac does this but very unwillingly so am "re-explaining".

Zac is occasionally working on...

Shake head no - very very slow :rolleyes:

Disc vault - Still working on getting Zac to touch me at all when he jumps :ROFLMAO:.

Cross paw - hand targeting

Volleyball - increasing height of returns, increasing weight and inflation of ball

Basketball - reliable first time basket, increasing height

EDIT - I see we are including life skills as well... Zac is working on recall, circle, bike commands (get over/round, come over/round, steady, stop), recall, instant down, recall, recall, recall and er did I mention recall?

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Ripley - working on -

Help me up - getting it for the first few steps when I am on my knees - not getting it when I am on the floor - just thinks that giving me kisses will make me all better...!

Roll yourself in a blanket - get the roll over now (thank you guys cause when we joined this site we were stuck on this one!!!!) and blanket in mouth but lets go as soon as she rolls!

Stepping up onto a small object (step stool) - three different tricks at least - front paws - perfected, all four paws - perfected and into sit on the object, just backup and back paws onto it - getting there but far from perfected.

Shy - get it sometimes but not always - some days she just rolls into a bombardment of tricks she knows incase she gets the right one.... having problems with this one, which I never had problems with with my BC's....?!!!!:confused:

Just starting to try - yes and no.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
oh, yeah, buddy has long long list of "lifeskills", for his dog-aggression:rolleyes: i'm not including those really, just wanted to mention i AM working on your advice :) about the recall/not chasing bunnies, Rdog!

some ppl may see recall, "Buddy, COME!" or "Stay" as an actual cue, not a "lifeskill", but who knows.

sorry for derail!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Always still working on all tricks stated in info page too - to remind Ripley of tricks done and try and piece together trick sequences for the future too.

orpheum

Lenka
Stretching back leg on command.
She needs a reminder in the beginning of each session, but she's starting to get it.
3d session yesterday.

Kirra
Heelwork position number 4, 5 and 6 in all directions and turns (out of ten).
She almost gets it, but it can really take a while before I'm happy.
Fading out hand signals during transitions.

Jack
Climb in my neck and then walk a circle around my head over the arms and back to neck.
Almost finished.

And some other things I'm constantly working on with all 3 of my dogs.

bekah1001

Honored Member
Oooh I like this idea.
Brody I'm working on:
Sit: I'm able to walk, and run away from him from sitting. Now I'm working on adding more distractions: dropping treats.
Backup: Brody is doing pretty good with this one but I'm going to start to try and add distance.
Twirl and Through: Have the dog do a half spin (dog's bum facing you) and backup between your legs.

Jenny: Work on recall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Member
Working on:

Bow: newly learnt, trying to get the verbal cue
Walking on both sides of me for agility

Adding a verbal cue to old tricks (it takes me ages to get to adding verbal cues): play dead, roll over, sit beside me

Ongoing work:
Recall
Leash walking
Stay

Need to start work on:
Leave it
I'm thinking I might make an invisible barrier at the front gate just incase Holly sneaks out the front door.

xena98

Experienced Member
i was just wondering if anyone knows a tutorial or anything like that on how to get there dogs to balance on two feet like sylvia trkmn does ie right front and right back at the same time. I would love to teach that but dont know how
Teaching Gabby to roll over with a blanket in her mouth which she is doing pretty good at but sometimes we manage to do the roll and forget to grab the blanket and than she stands and attacks the towel and than does it so we do have to perfect that one lol
we are trying to perfect our moves for heelwork to music as we have a comp happening in july
We have finally got the backwards figure 8 happening now with the occasional smash into my leg but we still cant do the backward weaving as I am not co ordinated lol
also trying to get some ideas of what to teach as I have taught her lots of things
thanks guys

cheers

sara

Staff member
LOL Oliver's the same! Hard tricks, he's no problem... the easy ones? He's looking for something more, I think LOL

I used a target stick to teach Oliver to beg... I'd been trying off and on for 2 years without success. When I tried it with the target stick? he got it in one session.

running_dog

Honored Member
i was just wondering if anyone knows a tutorial or anything like that on how to get there dogs to balance on two feet like sylvia trkmn does ie right front and right back at the same time. I would love to teach that but dont know how
ElliotDMDS was working on this, there is a discussion plus progress videos here.