I Fell Off The Wagon... Petfinder

MaryK

Honored Member
Disabled dogs are alot easier than they are made out to be! I have 2 deaf dogs, my Mom has another one (she was my first deafie) and they are soooo much easier than my hearing dog. I've never once wished my deafies could hear, but I constantly wish my hearing dogs were deaf! LOL

And Mouse has very little vision, yet she can do tricks like any perfectly "abled" dog can!
Oh Sara I'm crying, she's just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL and SOOOOOOOOOO SMART:love::love::love:

She needs to be a Ambassador for all disabled doggies, she's just amazing A STAR:love::love::love::love:

And her little tail, never stopped wagging, I'm hooked and IN LOVE BIG TIME:love:(y)(y)(y)(y)

Not ready for another dog at present, have two, small house and the legal limit is two dogs anyway:(

But when the day arrives when I can have another dog, I'm going to be looking for another 'Mouse':love:

Would it be o.k. though to have a little one like Mouse with Ra Kismet? He's VERY lovable but also VERY boisterous. Of course, he could be all nice and calm by the time I can have another dog:rolleyes:.

sara

Staff member
Mouse and Boo both like big dogs :) They're tough little critters, as long as the big dog doesn't pounce on their backs. Gotta worry about their backs alot :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you Sara:) Yes, I've heard you have to watch their backs, don't see many here, but saw a lot back home.

Tougher than they look hee hee!!!

Ra Kismet is more likely to jump OVER their backs than on them, he jumps over Zeus with ease - sideways too a kinda hop - and Zeus is the same height, maybe a smidgeon shorter, as Ra Kismet.:D Ra will play chase a lot though, and I think he might just out run a Dachshund. He can fly and LOL his legs are longer:LOL:

Will have to read up on them, as they are such sweet little dogs.:love:

Honored Member
I would love to own a deaf dog one day.

I'm not very good at fading the visual cue when training Holly anyway so I don't think a deaf dog would be any harder to train than Holly is and it would mean that when I tell people (family members) that there is no point yelling at the dog or that the dog does not understand what you are saying they will have to actually listen (eg, my father uses all sorts of random words and whistles when he wants Holly off a chair when all he actually needs to say is "off" because that is the cue she understands and she will do exactly what he wants if he gives her the correct cue - humans are so hard to train).

I also think that, as a dog trainer, I could learn a lot from a deaf dog. I would really have to focus on my body language which is so important to dogs and rely less on verbal encouragement and vocal tone. And I'm sure there are a tone of other things a deaf dog could teach me that I can't even imagine.

But, and I guess this is a good thing, I have only ever met one deaf dog (excluding ones that are deaf due to age) and that was only this year. It was a collie owned by our obedience trainer and I have never met a double dapple dog.

NZ doesn't have such a huge dog overpopulation problem and it seems (although I could be wrong) that NZers don't seem to worry about owning pedigree dogs as much as other countries do. I would guess that maybe half the dogs I meet are pedigree. eg, of the usual 7 dogs at obedience class only 2 of them are pedigree (a lab and a german short haired pointer) and at agility 3/6 are pedigree (a weimaraner, an australian cattle dog and a cairn terrier).

sara

Staff member
I would love to own a deaf dog one day.

I'm not very good at fading the visual cue when training Holly anyway so I don't think a deaf dog would be any harder to train than Holly is and it would mean that when I tell people (family members) that there is no point yelling at the dog or that the dog does not understand what you are saying they will have to actually listen (eg, my father uses all sorts of random words and whistles when he wants Holly off a chair when all he actually needs to say is "off" because that is the cue she understands and she will do exactly what he wants if he gives her the correct cue - humans are so hard to train).

I also think that, as a dog trainer, I could learn a lot from a deaf dog. I would really have to focus on my body language which is so important to dogs and rely less on verbal encouragement and vocal tone. And I'm sure there are a tone of other things a deaf dog could teach me that I can't even imagine.

But, and I guess this is a good thing, I have only ever met one deaf dog (excluding ones that are deaf due to age) and that was only this year. It was a collie owned by our obedience trainer and I have never met a double dapple dog.

NZ doesn't have such a huge dog overpopulation problem and it seems (although I could be wrong) that NZers don't seem to worry about owning pedigree dogs as much as other countries do. I would guess that maybe half the dogs I meet are pedigree. eg, of the usual 7 dogs at obedience class only 2 of them are pedigree (a lab and a german short haired pointer) and at agility 3/6 are pedigree (a weimaraner, an australian cattle dog and a cairn terrier).

Yeah, I learned ALOT training my first deaf dog, Scout. You really learn to pay attention to what you're actually telling a dog :) Unfortunately, you get quite lax in the way you speak to them... Oliver, the poor guy, gets confused now and then LOL

Here`s Scout, my first deaf dog, who now lives with my Mom in Ontario

Amateur

Experienced Member
Oh I forgot about the light clicker !! Fun to see mouse in action ...
Wait ... Mom lives in ontario ... and does she ever come to visit you ????!!????
Hmmmmmm .....

Dogster

Honored Member
LOL Amateur:ROFLMAO::rolleyes: Does she live close to Toronto???:p

I would LOVe to own a deaf dog someday, they're amazing.:D Also, not many people want to rescue a deaf dog, or a dog with "disabilities" because they think it's so much more work than a "normal" dog. I don't think so, but my parents do.:rolleyes: I'd adopt Poppy in a heartbeat!!:love:

Sara, you do such an AMAZING job with your dogs!!!!:D Mouse's tricks are sooo adorable!!!!:love: LOVE her beg!!! I think I've watched that other video about 5 times by now.... LOL:LOL: They're amazing!!! YOU'RE AMAZING!!!!:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Yeah, I learned ALOT training my first deaf dog, Scout. You really learn to pay attention to what you're actually telling a dog :) Unfortunately, you get quite lax in the way you speak to them... Oliver, the poor guy, gets confused now and then LOL

Here`s Scout, my first deaf dog, who now lives with my Mom in Ontario
Scouts the happiest little chap I've ever seen:D Had me grinning the whole vid that TAIL:love:Can believe you miss him like crazy, he's ADORABLE:love: And little Mouse popped in too:love:

I want them both!!!!!!!!!!! Send them over please for a play date:D:love:

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree, no such thing as a normal dog, they're all extraordinary, wonderful, beautiful, special and I'll run out of room too many words to describe dogs:D

It's a shame that too many people feel dogs with disabilities are hard work, your vids Sara show just how smart they are(y)

No experience just my personal thought. I think dogs with disabilities are smarter or maybe easier to train because they focus on YOU rather than on all the distractions around them. Am I kinda close Sara?

You're a FANTASTIC TRAINER and I ADORE your babies:love:

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Awww, that was the best video!! Mouse is so precious, :love: and Sara, you're amazing!! (y) I hope you don't mind if I share that with a friend who has 3 doxies, I know she'll love it (she had 4 until a few months ago, she lost her oldest). Mouse is truly an amabassor for all deaf dogs - he's an amazing little guy.

And really, is there such a thing as a "Normal" dog, I think not
There are all kinds dogs with disabilities, my Alf is a special needs guy - he's basically got learning disabilities. Weird for a German Shepherd, huh? :oops: He was hit by a car (we're assuming - the vet said obviously a very hard blunt trauma) at a very young age (before the pound/rescue got him - and that was at 10 mos). We've thought maybe he took a blow to the head, he's recovered wonderfully (except his back end, sadly that's all screwed up) - but he has a hard time learning lots of things, sometimes even things that seem "simple" (sure not for him). He just doesn't "get" things, many times never does. He's my champion drawer and cupboard closer, gets the newspaper for me every morning, picks up anything off the floor for me and hands it to me -- he's great at jobs - but tricks, yikes. He knows sit, down, stay, leave it (with food on his paws, on his nose, etc), shake (left paw only, can't do it with his right), roll over - and I think that's it. He just can't grasp other things - altho we constantly try .. and try .. and try (for years now). He LOVES clicker training, and we work all the time. He loves getting clicked, so I always find even the tiniest thing to reward him for, and he's so happy. But it's tough. Makena breezes thru things .. and Alf watches, and even tries to copy, but then gets so confused and frustrated, and then gives up. It used to make me sad - but I had to learn to take my cues from him. He wasn't/isn't sad - he's a really happy dog. He just doesn't want to be frustrated by things he doesn't "get". So - we just do what he understands. :LOL: Is he normal? Well .... for Alf, he is. For a German Shepherd, no. And it's another lesson in acceptance to be learned from the dog world. I look at him and Makena - they're inseperable. She can't learn things fast enough - and he's entertained by watching bugs, chasing butterflies, and watching the neighbors thru the knothole in the fence. :confused: But for them it's all good, cuz they're connected at the hip, and they want to do what each other does, so he keeps trying to learn what she's learning - which is a good thing. And even trying is probably good for him. On the other hand, I've let her see him around other dogs (he's FABULOUS) and observe (either from a distance or the safety of the car) and I believe she's taken cues from him too .

So just as with people - dogs with disabilities have lots to teach us. We just have to pay attention, and learn. (y):cool:

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh Jackie that's beautiful:love: Alf sounds so adorable:love::love::love: And for a chap with learning difficulties, his list of tricks is AWESOME, he can come and teach Rakins to pick up, get the newspaper (in one piece please Rakins) and close drawers and cupboards (not open them, are you listening Rakins?). He's amazing and as to smart for a GS, he's every bit as smart as any GS I've owned or known:D He has talents others don't always possess, love of other dogs, where he's helped Makena so much and a HUGE loving heart:love: Happiness despite what must have been a VERY traumatic event in his young life. Doesn't hold a grudge against the world which in some way caused his trauma. Loves Makena, loves you, loves life. He's one HUGE LOVE MACHINE:love::love: What a dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What more could anyone ask for.

Yes dogs do teach us lessons, the world needs to look to dogs much more, then it would be a much more peaceful, accepting and loving place.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Aww Mary, that's so sweet - and totally true.

Sara, I ran into my friend with the Doxies today. Took Alf to a big dog event at our local dog park (fund raiser, vendors, demos, etc) - he had a blast! :LOL: - and she was there with her 3 doxies (one is in Makena's nosework class). Told her I was sending her an amazing video, told her about Mouse, etc. She couldn't wait to see it - and said she's going to share it with her Doxie club. Maybe Mouse will end up being famous!! :cool:

Just watched Scout's video - he's amazing too!! He's so happy, and can't work fast enough.:LOL: I remember how adorable he was/is :love: - and how broken up you were when they left. How are they doing? And do you at least get current pics all the time?

MaryK

Honored Member
That's fantastic(y):D
O.K. Sara you'd better start teach Mouse to sign autographs:LOL: Or can he already do that?:D

sara

Staff member
Ha ha you all are hilarious! (oh and btw, both Scout and Mouse are girls LOL, Oliver and Boo are my boys :) )

Really, I am not anything special, I'm really not. Just ask Adrianne, Deaf dogs are really, REALLY easy!

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh dear and I had Mouse as a girl first, then saw everyone calling her a boy and changed:( Sorry Mouse, you do LOOK like a gal, and a very pretty, cute one at that:love:

Sorry to Scout too, she's just so cute and lovely:love: , but her name made me call her a boy:eek:

Sara, I think you underestimate yourself as a trainer:) Your dogs can do some awesome tricks and frankly, no-one would realize they had some disabilities, they're just FANTASTIC:D

sara

Staff member
Oh dear and I had Mouse as a girl first, then saw everyone calling her a boy and changed:( Sorry Mouse, you do LOOK like a gal, and a very pretty, cute one at that:love:

Sorry to Scout too, she's just so cute and lovely:love: , but her name made me call her a boy:eek:

Sara, I think you underestimate yourself as a trainer:) Your dogs can do some awesome tricks and frankly, no-one would realize they had some disabilities, they're just FANTASTIC:D
Scout is named for the little girl in "To Kill a Mockingbird" (Boo is named for another character in that book) a favorite book of mine. And actually, most people think she is a boy because of that, I've only every had one person guess why her name is Scout... and she is an English teacher LOL. All my dogs have literary names, even Mouse is named for a dog in a book :)

I really wish you all would quit thinking I'm amazing. I'm not, there are a TON of better trainers out there, and a TON of people doing more for deaf and disabled dogs than I am. Yes, I try to do my part, but it's no more than most, and alot less than some (whom I admire greatly!) What my main goal is, is to teach my deafies enough that they "look" amazing, then use them to educate people.

MaryK, there is a lady I know who rescues deaf herding dogs (Koolies, Border Collies and ACD's) in Australia. she knows others who run deaf Koolies in agility. I could put you in touch with her, if you like. But be warned, she is not a positive trainer, but is quite willing to argue the benefits of adversives (Just ask Adrianne)

And I'll say it again, over and over, that deaf dogs ARE easier than hearing dogs!

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh, come on Sara. Why is it so hard to convince you that you ARE amazing??:D You rescue dogs no one else wants. And you are educating people about deaf dogs, and how easy it is to train them. You are helping them. Thanks to you, a lot more deafies or dogs with disabilities will get adopted!!! Just wait and see!!!

I wonder how we can convince Sara that she is in fact amazing???:D

Btw, LOVE how you got your dogs' names from liturgy.:love: GREAT name choices!!!:)

Amateur

Experienced Member
I understand what Sara is saying. She is doing what comes naturally to her and she doesnt think of it as overly note worthy, because its just what she does. No need for accolades or pats on the back - that is not why she does it. She does it because she get something from it - it is the dogs who give her the sense of accomplishment and joy. This is why she thinks she doesnt think it worthy of all our praise ........... but it is so shut up and take the compliment :rolleyes: