How To Train My Dog To Hug My Leg

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
buddy has fallen way behind,:rolleyes: and he is NOT wrapping his paws on my leg, :( we didn't even work on this the other day at all,----------- i used all his treats and his entire dinner yesterday,:rolleyes:
working on his "Invisible Boundaries" trick instead.

I can now walk down the block, and Buddy stays on his grass. :eek: I can now throw treats:eek: or his favorite toy:eek: out into the street and Buddy stops at the edge of the street/stays on his grass.:D:D:D

We have much more 'proofing' to do, and Buddy is still working on knowing where his cement driveway ends, and the cement street starts, but, he has "i stay on the grass" pretty much nailed. I thought he was doing great on driveway, too, but, i now suspect Buddy does not really get the concept of where his driveway ends,
and where the street begins...more work to do there.

My neighbor saw me working on this with Buddy, and must have thought i was trying to show Buddy some electric fence, and came over and said, "You know, with those electric fences, you can just zap the dog a few times, and they know where the edge of their yard is after that.":rolleyes::( He was stunned:eek: when i said "No, there's no electric fence, i'm just training him to stay on his own grass by using treats.":ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
but today, we will work on the hug-a-leg trick again.
I think, i will start all over, from scratch, and work more using that tutorial on this thread, where dog paws item behind the stick, cuz Buddy is only putting one paw on each side of my leg, but not "hugging" it.:(

ANY IDEAS TO HELP ME GET BUDDY TO WRAP HIS PAWS ON MY LEG? He only places one paw on each side of my leg, and that's it.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
now i am watching 2nd video, Lisa, and ohhhhh,
i'd never thought of using Buddy's "cross paws" to try to get it into hugging a pole! THAT'S BRILLIANT!! I might give that a go!

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I was practicing this trick and I finally gave the cue word. I chose pound, thanks to tigerlily I just thought it was cute! I couldn't figure out how to get him to hug my leg instead of my arm. So I decided to try a stick. And he caught on quickly! This trick is the hardest for me to teach but I love seeing his little mind work everything out! :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
awwwwww, that will be soo cuuuute!! KUDOS on the progress, i feel like half-miler now, as i haven't worked on this particular trick since my last post,:oops: but your progress Remi, has me inspired!!
I also kinda wonder, when i watch Buddy, since i worked so so hard, for so so long, (off and on for years!!)
to get Buddy to hold his beg a bit longer,------------ that Buddy automatically thinks, "oh here goes mom again, trying to get me to balance while i am in a beg position...okay, watch me let go...see? see? i'm balancing, mom, i'm balancing!! no hands! i'm balancing!! ta-da!":ROFLMAO:
is why he keeps trying to let go altogether and just balance.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I also kinda wonder, when i watch Buddy, since i worked so so hard, for so so long, (off and on for years!!)
to get Buddy to hold his beg a bit longer,------------ that Buddy automatically thinks, "oh here goes mom again, trying to get me to balance while i am in a beg position...okay, watch me let go...see? see? i'm balancing, mom, i'm balancing!! no hands! i'm balancing!! ta-da!":ROFLMAO:
is why he keeps trying to let go altogether and just balance.
:ROFLMAO: Reminds me of Remi today! Thinking for themselves is adorable! Remi refused to work without a treat touching the stick. And this half way through just sat there and every time I said 'pound' he would just tap/paw at the stick without moving. :ROFLMAO: He has that look like "I see no treat so you get half the trick. Remember this is the part where you teach me the trick. That means I get treats, I wanna see them first ma. AS soon as I took a treat out he jumped for the stick. The best is when they do tricks on their own with no cue and just give you the puppy dog eyes. :rolleyes: