How To Train My Dog To Hug My Leg

Discussion in 'Training Challenges' started by Mr-Remington, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Dogster Honored Member

Wow!!!! Bella is doing AMAZING!!!:D I need to start this with Shivon...
    tigerlily46514 and TiflovesBCs like this.

2. Dogster Honored Member

OMD I love that trick!!!!!:LOL:
    bekah1001 and tigerlily46514 like this.
  3. dogcrazy Experienced Member

Great job Tif!!! Carmel is on the same level as Bella in training this trick!
    TiflovesBCs, Dogster and bekah1001 like this.
  4. Dogster Honored Member

That's awesome!!!!:D
  5. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

buddy has fallen way behind,:rolleyes: and he is NOT wrapping his paws on my leg, :( we didn't even work on this the other day at all,----------- i used all his treats and his entire dinner yesterday,:rolleyes:
    working on his "Invisible Boundaries" trick instead.

I can now walk down the block, and Buddy stays on his grass. :eek: I can now throw treats:eek: or his favorite toy:eek: out into the street and Buddy stops at the edge of the street/stays on his grass.:D:D:D

We have much more 'proofing' to do, and Buddy is still working on knowing where his cement driveway ends, and the cement street starts, but, he has "i stay on the grass" pretty much nailed. I thought he was doing great on driveway, too, but, i now suspect Buddy does not really get the concept of where his driveway ends,
    and where the street begins...more work to do there.

My neighbor saw me working on this with Buddy, and must have thought i was trying to show Buddy some electric fence, and came over and said, "You know, with those electric fences, you can just zap the dog a few times, and they know where the edge of their yard is after that.":rolleyes::( He was stunned:eek: when i said "No, there's no electric fence, i'm just training him to stay on his own grass by using treats.":ROFLMAO:
    southerngirl, Dogster and dogcrazy like this.
  6. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

but today, we will work on the hug-a-leg trick again.
    I think, i will start all over, from scratch, and work more using that tutorial on this thread, where dog paws item behind the stick, cuz Buddy is only putting one paw on each side of my leg, but not "hugging" it.:(

ANY IDEAS TO HELP ME GET BUDDY TO WRAP HIS PAWS ON MY LEG? He only places one paw on each side of my leg, and that's it.
    bekah1001 and Dogster like this.
  7. Mr-Remington Experienced Member

I, too like tigerlily46514, am having trouble getting Remi to wrap his paws around my leg. He just doesn't understand what I'm asking. Can someone tell me what I should do? I'm lost on ideas.
    Dogster and tigerlily46514 like this.
  8. bekah1001 Honored Member

After my exams are done I am defiantly working on this trick and the handstand trick!!!
    Dogster and dogcrazy like this.
  9. Pawtential Unleashed Experienced Member

I think if you could teach them to catch the toy like in Kikopups vid you would have the hug part...

She has the two dogs hugging with a go paws cue but I can't find anything on that?

Or here is an idea for cross paws work that seems to work: [pole work starts 3:22]
    collie23, dogcrazy, Dogster and 3 others like this.
  10. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

THANKS FOR TIPS!! WOW, THAT top KIKO VIDEO, i have never seen that one, and i LOVED it!! Just could NOT STOP smiling throughout the whole thing!!!:ROFLMAO:
  11. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

now i am watching 2nd video, Lisa, and ohhhhh,
    i'd never thought of using Buddy's "cross paws" to try to get it into hugging a pole! THAT'S BRILLIANT!! I might give that a go!
    Dogster likes this.
  12. Dogster Honored Member

Awwww!!!! LOVE the videos!!!!!:love:
    tigerlily46514 likes this.
  13. Mr-Remington Experienced Member

I was practicing this trick and I finally gave the cue word. I chose pound, thanks to tigerlily I just thought it was cute! I couldn't figure out how to get him to hug my leg instead of my arm. So I decided to try a stick. And he caught on quickly! This trick is the hardest for me to teach but I love seeing his little mind work everything out! :)
    Dogster, bekah1001 and tigerlily46514 like this.
  14. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

awwwwww, that will be soo cuuuute!! KUDOS on the progress, i feel like half-miler now, as i haven't worked on this particular trick since my last post,:oops: but your progress Remi, has me inspired!!
    I also kinda wonder, when i watch Buddy, since i worked so so hard, for so so long, (off and on for years!!)
    to get Buddy to hold his beg a bit longer,------------ that Buddy automatically thinks, "oh here goes mom again, trying to get me to balance while i am in a beg position...okay, watch me let go...see? see? i'm balancing, mom, i'm balancing!! no hands! i'm balancing!! ta-da!":ROFLMAO:
    is why he keeps trying to let go altogether and just balance.
    Dogster and Pawtential Unleashed like this.
  15. Pawtential Unleashed Experienced Member

Video of progress? We LOVE videos!
    Mr-Remington and Dogster like this.
  16. Dogster Honored Member

And pictures!!!!!:D

Awesome job to you and Remi!!!!:)
    Mr-Remington likes this.
  17. Mr-Remington Experienced Member

:ROFLMAO: Reminds me of Remi today! Thinking for themselves is adorable! Remi refused to work without a treat touching the stick. And this half way through just sat there and every time I said 'pound' he would just tap/paw at the stick without moving. :ROFLMAO: He has that look like "I see no treat so you get half the trick. Remember this is the part where you teach me the trick. That means I get treats, I wanna see them first ma. AS soon as I took a treat out he jumped for the stick. The best is when they do tricks on their own with no cue and just give you the puppy dog eyes. :rolleyes:
    tigerlily46514 and Dogster like this.
  18. Mr-Remington Experienced Member

I will try to make a video and take lots of pictures when we work on it later!!
  19. sara Moderator

I'm late to this thread, but I may just have a go with Oliver on this one!
    tigerlily46514 and Dogster like this.
  20. Dogster Honored Member

I want to too!!! As soon as we finish the paint trick:D
    bekah1001 likes this.