Hello

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I'm with Tif, i have also heard of some stories of antlers becoming splintered. apparently, there is a difference between a SHED,(antler found lying in the woods)
and a marrow filled fresh antler that was sawed off of a dead deer's head that you just shot...

One is more likely to splinter, than the other, but, i can never remember which is which.:confused: so being an admitted "worry-wart" about my dog's health, :rolleyes: , i skip the antlers.....

btw, salix, i'm so EXCITED for you!!
the FIRST thing i bought for my dog,
and FIRST thing i gave him,
was his I.D. tag, already engraved with our address and phone numbers, on a collar, the moment i met him, before he even got into my car, that ID went on.;)
We had pitstops to make on the way home, etc, didn't want my brand new dog to run off on a pee-pee break on the way home...

cuz, i'd been warned 8,000 times, that newly rehomed adult dogs are easy to lose in those first few weeks....but, it is way less of risk for a baby dog.

I'm assuming the I.D. TAG you mention, is already engraved, etc.

I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU, DO KEEP US POSTED!! NO DETAIL TOO SMALL TO INTEREST US!!! :ROFLMAO:
AND WE'D ALL LIKE TONS OF PHOTOS!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
LOOKS LIKE YOU DID A GREATJOB GETTING READY, SALIXFIRE!! :ROFLMAO:

how about pee pads? or are you just going to use newspapers?
and ezymatic urine cleansers?

Here, kikopup mentions a cleanser by brand name, to use to remove the scent, cuz, the scent alone can trigger a urine "reply" to the scent...

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Getting a dog to LOVE his crate, is occasionally a bit trickier than one would think,
and once a dog makes up his mind that his crate sucks,:cautious:
it's harder to change his mind about it,:(
than it is making sure right off, that the dog thinks his crate is AWESOME,:D from the get-go.

also, make sure that you NEVER put dog into crate as a punishment or time out,
cuz dog will remember that and hate his crate.
(you can just swap out word "purse" for "crate")---->

Kiko has two other vids on same topic, called "crate training part one"
and "crate training part two" you can google to watch.

I know you didn't ask for advice, but, THIS is one of those things a pinch of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

salixfire

I've heard that the shed antlers are safe whereas the sawn ones might splinter. According to some people (ie can't find any actual evidence for) it's something to do with the shed ones are fully formed and hardened whereas the sawn ones are softer and hence splinter as they're not quite fully formed. These ones are from shed antlers and have great reviews on other forums I go to. :)

The ID tag is winging it's way to us as we speak and will hopefully arrive either today or tomorrow. Yes it's engraved already with all the details required by law as well as stating the dog is microchipped.

We won't be using pee pads, we've got loads of newspapers in. Enzymatic cleaners, that we still need to buy thanks :)

Crate training, I've watched those vids as well as a few more and read a few books that had advice about it so hopefully we should be ok (said before getting the pup :cautious:). It's great you offer advice Tigerlily, I did ask for any and all :D Please keep it coming if you can think of anything we may have forgotten.

We've got the vet booked for Saturday morning for a general health check/new pup check and the puppy school has been observed and now booked and paid for. The pup has had it's first vaccination and been chipped. Camcorder is fully charged and empty so we can take plenty of pictures. We have waterproof backseat covers for the car, a grill so that we can get air flow in but pup can't get out, small seatbelt harness (we won't be forcing it on the pup on the first journey, my partner will be sitting in the back with the pup), portable water and food dishes and water bottle. A puppy kong will be filled and put in the freezer before we go so that it has a nice frozen treat when we get home. Pictures will be forthcoming... :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WOW, is this one lucky pup to be going home with YOU or what!
I'M SO STOKED, is today "THE" day that little Mori comes home?

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Ooooh, I'm so excited for you - and I LOVE the name Mori!! To dog people, it's like bringing home a new baby!! :love: Looks like you've got about everything - but I'll throw one more suggestion out there - you may want to think about a baby gate. You've got a crate so you're good for now, but for down the road (those wild 'teenage' times), a little gate may be a thought. I've always found them to come in handy (altho maybe becuz I've had multiple dogs for so long, I don't know how to operate a house otherwise:LOL: ). The other thing I'd like to suggest - when you pick up little Mori, you smuggle one more puppy out and email it to me right away - they're so cute!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

salixfire

Friday is "THE" day. We are so excited! Unfortunately a baby gate wouldn't work for us as I'm permanently in the wheelchair and the doorways are only just wide enough for it but thank you for the advice. (y) If we could smuggle another one out I know just the one I would pick, however it would be staying with us :p :ROFLMAO: Any more advice?

salixfire

He was the last male in the litter so we didn't actually get a choice in this litter, but the breeder did give us the choice if we didn't want this pup we could get first pick in her friends litter that has just been born. However, when we went to meet them all the males were very much the same, hyper, chewy and ever so pleased to see us. The only two with very distinct personalities were two of the females. The biggest one that I assumed was male until I picked her up who was very bossy and bitey (worse than the males and bigger than them too) and a very sweet small female who just walked around to the side of my wheelchair, out of the way of the others but in reach of me and happily sat there and wasn't bitey at all. She didn't seem nervous but I think reserved is a better word. If I could choose two from the litter I would have picked the small sweet one but then I'm a sucker for more reserved dogs.

southerngirl

Honored Member
If I could choose two from the litter I would have picked the small sweet one but then I'm a sucker for more reserved dogs.
I am too. I'm always drawn to the shy ones while everyone else wants the outgoing one. For me I guess it's because I myself am shy or reserved when It comes to meeting new people.

Can't wait to see pics. and videos of Mori when you pick him up.

salixfire

Mori is officially home. :X3: He was such a good boy in the car. He whined a little at the start and then napped until we had almost reached home. I would have stopped for pee breaks for him but the roads were starting to flood with the torrential rain so I got him home as fast as I could. Despite over a 2 hour drive and 20 minutes when he was awake at the end he held on to toilet until we got into our garden. Heavily praised! He then was a bit shocked and confused, so decided under my wheelchair was his safe haven. Sleep he then decided would fix everything and so ended up curled next to me on the sofa for a few hours. When he woke, he whimpered and so I put him on the floor where he ran to the door and outside with my partner and had a pee. It was time for his dinner which he ate (I was expecting him to be off his food the first night) then settled and watched Thor with us (he fell asleep before the end :p ) Soon we'll be heading to bed. I'll be posting pictures tomorrow. :)

southerngirl

Honored Member
Yeah Mori is Home!!!:D I can't wait to see pictures of the adorable little guy. It sounds like he is taking moving to a new home very well.

Dogster

Honored Member
YAY!!!!!!:D Sooo happy for you!!!!! Glad Mori (love that name:)) is finally home!!!! CAN'T WAIT FOR PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

(I think Thor is a little too mature for a puppy:cautious: :ROFLMAO:)

salixfire

Hi all, sorry for not replying sooner with pictures but the last couple of days have been a bit hectic. I've tried to post this many times but distractions always seem to happen mid post.

He's been fairly good, only a couple of accidents in the house but most of the time he asks to go out. I forgot how much puppies sleep. We went to see the vet on Saturday and she was so impressed with him she didn't charge us. He whimpered a bit in the waiting room but once in with the vet he went to sleep on her table. Afterwards we had forgotten that it was our friends birthday so had to pop in to give her her present. Mori came with us as we didn't want to leave him alone for the time and he was very good. Despite the noise and people shouting and milling around he fell asleep on my lap. He can sleep through anything it seems, a crate clanging, people shouting, action movies etc. :ROFLMAO: Here's a video of him sleeping:

At night he cries a bit when we first put him in his crate but settles down fairly quickly now. Last night he only asked to go out twice and slept the rest. He's learning to settle in his crate and is very food motivated. He'd do anything for a bit of cooked chicken and only most things for kibble. :p He really likes sit! It's currently his go to trick. Down was a bit more problematic as he just bent down and tried to get the treat, then backed up instead of lying down. Instead I had to capture it first and now he'll be lured down.

His only two bad sides are he bites and chews a lot and has taken my partner as a chew toy. We're doing the yelp and leave the room but that seems to only make him worse as he's started biting her legs as she's leaving/ignoring him. So instead we're trying to ignore him when he does it and click and treat when he calms and plays nicely. He also likes chewing wires, which in our house is a very bad thing to do.

However all that aside, here's some pictures of our little boy:

Today Mori also went for a trip on my lap to the local shops. He loves people but got a bit whiny when people walked past him without saying hello. Also he didn't appreciate getting soaking wet when the heavens opened up and soaked us both to the skin. He sulked in his blanket (a vain attempt to keep him warm and dry) but then started watching the world go by as we tried to get home as quickly as possible. Now he's asleep next to me wrapped in a towel and looking ever so cute :X3: