He Caught The Frisbee!!!

madeleine

Experienced Member
hehe well in my frisbee class we throw the frisbee like 55 minutes in pairs. After that we take once handler and dog out and they will practis the different frisbee moves. And that stops when the last one is finished :D
So you spent a lot more time in learning to throw the frisbee than doing that with dogs.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
hehe well in my frisbee class we throw the frisbee like 55 minutes in pairs. After that we take once handler and dog out and they will practis the different frisbee moves. And that stops when the last one is finished :D
So you spent a lot more time in learning to throw the frisbee than doing that with dogs.
I need to find a frisbee class near where I live. I honestly didn't know they even existed. I think it would be fun to do frisbee classes with Remi when he is older.

MaryK

Honored Member
I'll have to learn as Ra Kismet was given a frisbee today by a friend. It's a soft one though, I'm lost, don't know much about frisbee's at all. Only thing he's done so far is actually CARRY it inside for me!!!!!!!! He held something in his mouth other than a soccer ball!!!!!!!! Still recovering from the shock!

Is there a difference with the soft ones? I'm totally dumb on this one so any help will be very much appreciated!

madeleine

Experienced Member
Yeah the soft ones, from kong for example, aren't conform the official matches rules. And they through a bit different then the ones who are correct. I find them harder to throw.

Anneke

Honored Member
Frisbee is sooo much fun!! And I totally get your excitement with that first catch!!

BUT Please please be carefull with your young dog! One bad landing can cause soooo much damage! I know those high jumps look spectacular, but a dog has to learn how to jump AND land. Jumping usually isn't hard, but the landing is;)
And a well thrown frisbee does help with that.

And that vid from Disc dog connected... Well the guy is Lawrence Frederick and he's a legend;)
He's been to our dogschool(in Holland) a few times. I haven't been to his classes, because I don't take frisbee lessons yet. But he knows the owner of our dogschool who is a judge for UFO(world frisbee championships)

I have a dog that can catch, but she has an owner who can't throw:ROFLMAO: Well, I can throw a good distance throw, a fore arm, a backhand and I have been working on my side arm under leg spin (#26 in the vid) Jinx has a pretty good flip. Where I throw the frisbee straight up and she jumps up and turns in the air. Looks very cool;)

Classes here are throw practice, where you practice throws in pairs or solo followed by practice with your dog.
I really want to take classes, but these classes are given on thursday or saturday and I do agility on friday. So taking that class would make Jinx do two high impact sports in two days. And I don't want to put that pressure on her.

madeleine

Experienced Member
You probably don't spent much time frisbeeing with your dog in a class. If you and your dog frisbee 5- 10 minutes then you have a long time. When you have a dog who has much energie I do believe you can take the frisbee class on the thursday. Also depends on how old Jinx is now offcourse!

Dazzle started with frisbee when she was 9 weeks, though i believe we spent 3/4 off thst year catching rollers (frisbee thats rolls on thr ground) just to get her to have interest in the fribee and to give me time to learn how to throw before doing that with her.

Anneke

Honored Member
I took about 10 lessons, about 6 years ago, with Cooper. But Cooper does not think the frisbee is fun.:D He will catch it once or twice, but then other things are more interesting:rolleyes: Throw a ball, and he'll catch it a thousand times...

Funny, I actually wanted to play frisbee, but because Cooper didn't like, we started agility.
Now I have Jinx, who looooooovvvvveeessss her frisbee and now I like agility more...:ROFLMAO:

Jinx has a lot of energy, so she probably could handle it.
Maybe I'll ask a friend of mine, who is a frisbee instructor(not at the dogschool) if she has some time to do some training with me. I know she is a lot cheaper than the classes at the school and she teaches in small classes, which I like too.

madeleine

Experienced Member
Sounds great the way your friend teaches!!
Hehe it's hard to choose between all the fun sog sports!

Off topic:
Do you also compeet in agility? if so, FHN or Cyno?
If it's Cyno we may run into each other a time :D

madeleine

Experienced Member
Ooh I also have a lot to learn! Had this weekend our first official competition, 3 dk's hehe :D
We compeet in Cyno, though we don't go to the wintercompetition.

MaryK

Honored Member
Yeah the soft ones, from kong for example, aren't conform the official matches rules. And they through a bit different then the ones who are correct. I find them harder to throw.
Thank you. I'll have to get the correct one AND learn how to throw it! The soft one's met a sticky end, Zeus got hold of it and well, it's a shredded soft Frisbee now:( LOL that's what Zeus thinks of Frisbees - takes a scientific view of it all - with his teeth!:rolleyes:

madeleine

Experienced Member
hehe poor frisbee, must have been scared like hell..
Try looking on the web for officlal frisbee where you can compeet with, there's is enough off choise between them to meet all the dogs and handlers demands ;)

MaryK

Honored Member
hehe poor frisbee, must have been scared like hell..
Try looking on the web for officlal frisbee where you can compeet with, there's is enough off choise between them to meet all the dogs and handlers demands ;)
Thank you will do that, as I have a strong feeling Ra Kismet would LOVE frisbees. LOL yes poor Frisbee, soccer balls, jocks (he's partial to men's jocks:rolleyes:) and socks!

MaryK

Honored Member
I use a soft frisbee with gunnar for now just beacuse the one hard one I gave him he chewed it til his mouth was bleeding and he was very sore the next day so for now i use a soft one and as he progesses and gets older i will switch to a harder one!
Would this happen with an older dog? Ra Kismet is almost three years now. I don't want him to be hurt in anyway.

Dogster

Honored Member
Would this happen with an older dog? Ra Kismet is almost three years now. I don't want him to be hurt in anyway.
It could happen, if Ra Kismet decides to destroy his plastic frisbee. a chewed-up frisbee can be pretty sharp, and it can hurt their gums. Dogs usually prefer soft frisbees to harder ones, so I recommend starting out with a soft frisbee, then you can get a harder one when your dog learns to LOVE frisbees, and learns how to catch them.:D

madeleine

Experienced Member
You can phone or email a company who cells compeet frisbees, ask a brand frisbee which is 'soft' to the dogs mouth.
Sometimes I find a tiny bit off blood on the frisbee, such a mix between drool that has a red line in there...
When i check her mouth them she hit her tongue between her teeth or something like that. It's always over when we walk out again. ;)
Doesn't stop her catchig the next one.... She must have it!!

MaryK

Honored Member
If you have the money I recommend investing in one of these frisbee's to Keep Ra Kismet from getting hurt. I've never had one myself, but I do plan to get one when I get a job.
http://skyhoundz.com/
Thank you Southerngirl. Not sure which one is best but cost will depend on the overseas postage.:rolleyes: They do quote before processing, which is great, as sometimes the postage to Australia is ridiculous - like $60 + for a $10.00 target stick. Not the companies fault of course, but all the same, I'm not prepared to pay that much. Plus, not sure if they will incur Customs costs either, will need to check that out too. Such a pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: