He Caught The Frisbee!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Sports' started by Gunnar_&_Me, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Gunnar_&_Me Active Member

My 7 month Aussie finally caught his frisbee in the air!!

Are you having trouble with your dog and a frisbee all I can say is patience I never thought Gunnar would catch one I thought I was doing something wrong then one day he just did it!!!

Need tips?

2. southerngirl Honored Member

That's great that he caught it in the air. Considering Gunner is a puppy make sure you don't throw it to high, because he's still growing.:)
    MaryK, Mutt, madeleine and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tâmara Vaz Experienced Member

Congrats!:) !:)! I think I felt just like you some weeks ago when Laika(-my dog-) also finally caught a Frisbee on the air ...
    MaryK and madeleine like this.
  4. Mr-Remington Experienced Member

Congrats! I've been trying to teach my 8 month old aussie to catch the frisbee for the longest time, but he just doesn't get it.
  5. Dogster Honored Member

Congratulations!!!! That's fantastic!!!!!!!:D

Shivon caught a frisbee in the air for the first time 2 weeks ago, I was so happy!!!!:)
    MaryK, madeleine and Tâmara Vaz like this.
  6. Dogster Honored Member

I love this video, it helped me a lot when teaching Shivon to catch a frisbee:):

Hope this helps!!!:D
    MaryK, madeleine and Tâmara Vaz like this.
  7. Mr-Remington Experienced Member

Thank you Dogster!:) I do a lot of that now, but I'm gonna try the fire game tomorrow. He loves the frisbee he just can't catch it.
  8. 2SpoiledAussies Well-Known Member

Toby loves the Frisbee, because we used to play tug with it before he could catch it.
  9. Gunnar_&_Me Active Member

I never thought Gunnar would I had almost given up then today I got him riled up rolled it on the ground a lot tossed it up right in front of him a few times let him catch it then threw it and he surprised me so be patient he will catch on when he is ready!
    MaryK, Dogster, Mr-Remington and 2 others like this.
  10. madeleine Experienced Member

Yeah!!! Congrats to all frisbee catching dogs and there owners!!

Did you know that your way off throwing the frisbee actually influences the catching part off the dog.
    The better you throw the frisbee the better and safer a dog can catch it.
    And there are dogs that only will catch a good thrown frisbee, and don't even attempt to catch a not so well thrown one. And then there are dogs like Dazzle, who sometimes forget to put out the landig gear..

So if there is one big tip in the dogfrisbee world, learn how to throw s good frisbee :D And thay part you can do withouts dog. And than add your dog when you can do it..
    Try some other types of throwing aswell, there fun!!!!
    MaryK, Dogster, Mutt and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mr-Remington Experienced Member

Maybe thats my problem! lol I've never played with a frisbee before I got Remi. I guess I need to learn how to throw a good frisbee.
  12. madeleine Experienced Member

hihi all good things come with practis!
    On youtube there are plenty vids on trowing. And on the official sites off the dogfrisbee there probably will also be the basic info off different throwing styles.
    Let us know how the frisbee is going!
    MaryK likes this.
  13. southerngirl Honored Member

And there are dogs that only will catch a good thrown frisbee, and don't even attempt to catch a not so well thrown one.
    That's Missy, if I throw it bad she won't try catching it.
  14. Mr-Remington Experienced Member

Dogs are too smart for their own good. :rolleyes:
    MaryK, madeleine and 2SpoiledAussies like this.
  15. Dogster Honored Member

About throwing types.... Check out this guy...

I wish I knew 1/4 of the throws he does... I only know one(and it's not very good), LOL:ROFLMAO:
    MaryK, madeleine and southerngirl like this.
  16. MaryK Honored Member

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! I want to get Ra Kismet a frisbee, looks like I will have to get my degree in Frisbee throwing before I attempt to work with him:rolleyes::D Didn't know it required special skills!!!!
    Tâmara Vaz, Dogster and madeleine like this.
  17. madeleine Experienced Member

Like in the movie there a few basic throws. Suvhs as the backhand, side arm (or hand), floaters etc.
    From all these you can make variations. Throw one over your leg, beneith your leg and so on, and you get a new variation. People still make new ones so it's a sport in progress yeah!
  18. madeleine Experienced Member

It really does, especially when you want to do it safe.
    You and the dog can get injured when there is little attention to the details.
    MaryK likes this.
  19. Gunnar_&_Me Active Member

Yea seeing as Gunnar is still young I throw the frisbee lower to the ground e doesn't really jump its more of a running leap!
    MaryK, Dogster, madeleine and 2 others like this.
  20. Mr-Remington Experienced Member

:eek: Um....So is there a special class I take to learn how to throw a frisbee? LOL I can't imagine how long it takes to learn that many types of throwing, and there is no way I can learn those on my own. :oops: