Facebook Pages :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Maybe I should be supermoderator who is also the Grammar Police.... Be careful, very, very careful! one trophy taken away for every wrong usage of your/you're, they're/their/there... tee hee
Cor me mum nevver taught me all that propper stuff youse nose how it is but she did tell me the bleeding rozzers would be after me if I didn't change me ways!:ROFLMAO: Didn't get to go to one of dem fancy school neither, didn't go to school aktually:ROFLMAO: Need a thread on duh Queens English, rite propper mess I be makin of it!

LOL I too noticed the slight slip:LOL: it's the same with 'may I' and 'can I'. When someone says 'can they.....' instead of 'may I.....' I'm always tempted to ask 'are they able to.......".

sara

Staff member
Cor me mum nevver taught me all that propper stuff youse nose how it is but she did tell me the bleeding rozzers would be after me if I didn't change me ways!:ROFLMAO: Didn't get to go to one of dem fancy school neither, didn't go to school aktually:ROFLMAO: Need a thread on duh Queens English, rite propper mess I be makin of it!
Ha ha ha I didn't understand half of that... translation please? ha ha ha

sara

Staff member
LOL I too noticed the slight slip:LOL: it's the same with 'may I' and 'can I'. When someone asked 'can they.....' I'm always tempted to ask 'are they able.......".
That's one that I never notice. "Can I" has become so common, that it's mostly acceptable.

You know what's funny. Canadian slang, well, with the exception of Maritimers and Newfies, is very boring compared to English, Scottish, Irish, Australian and Southern USA slang. You will actually be able to understand everything I write as we talk...

sara

Staff member
How did I miss this whole thread?? :oops::LOL: Love everyone's pages!! (y):love: I'm with you Sara, mine have none, I can barely keep up with email, don't need to sit on FB too. *sigh*
I've never been huge into FB anyway, though I spend more time on FB than I used to due to my sister giving me a Niece or Nephew in the next few weeks... I'm still not making my dogs a page LOL

MaryK

Honored Member
Ha ha ha I didn't understand half of that... translation please? ha ha ha
Translation from English into Canadian:ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond her control, my Mother was not able to teach me to speak correctly, nor was she able to send me to a Public (Private elsewhere other than the U.K.) School. On the odd days I did attend school it was just a mere comprehensive one, where English was not really an issue, any more than maths, spelling and other such academic subjects. I was not really of a mind to attend anyway and spent many, many days playing truant from school. My favorite place being the pool hall, where I received a quite different form of education, guaranteed to set me on the wrong side of the tracks.

The result of all this misspent youth was a complete and utter failure to grasp even the most rudimentary basics of the English Language.

The only advice and help I received was to mend my ways, otherwise the lovely gentlemen of the British Police Force would come after me, armed no doubt with batons, to arrange free accommodation at Her Majesty's Hotel, Wormwood Scrubs. (A prison in the U.K. for anyone who needs to know).

I do sincerely apologize for de-railing this thread.

MaryK

Honored Member
That's one that I never notice. "Can I" has become so common, that it's mostly acceptable.

You know what's funny. Canadian slang, well, with the exception of Maritimers and Newfies, is very boring compared to English, Scottish, Irish, Australian and Southern USA slang. You will actually be able to understand everything I write as we talk...
I think the reason I notice it so much stems back to my school days. I was about 7'ish and straight after the relevant English lesson on "may I" "can I" I asked the teacher "can I go down the street" OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Her look was enough to cause me to remember that lesson for the rest of my life!

If you like I do know Cockney Rhyming Slang, well most of it, even though I am NOT a Cockney:D That would confuse you I fearO_o

MaryK

Honored Member
The Craic and the Guiness, good Irish Pub Fare!!!!!!!!!!!! All we need now is a fiddle, a song and a dance:ROFLMAO: Salante (sorry no acute on this keyboard, means 'to your good health') Bottoms Up!

Dogster

Honored Member
Whoops!!!:oops::whistle: Can't believe I missed that, thanks Sara, LOL:p I am usually good with grammer.... I dont lik 2 uze da chat slang wordz... Just messing with ya, Sara!!!:p:ROFLMAO: Now I will start triple checking my posts:sneaky: No more mistakes for me!!!:sneaky:!

I'll take one non-alchoholic beverage, please!!!:ROFLMAO: