Doggy Dandruff

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Aw Bekah, doncha hate it when the kid or young person in the family is the one most "on-the-ball" about dog nutrition and dog health?? Poor Bekah, hee hee, good luck trying to convince your brother that he should re-evaluate the dog food he is feeding that dog.

Or, it could be treats, or some type of scrap of table food that the dog is getting, too. Or, it could be an infection, too. Your brother might not even realize that is not normal dog poop, if the dog is always like that.

Bekah, I wish YOU had the dog with the loose stools for a few weeks, Bekah, i bet YOU could sort it out, what is wrong with that dog..i bet YOU could figure it out, and fix it, too, but, i bet, since you are only a young person, maybe no one will listen to you, or think it really matters very much. sometimes, that is the case.
but, then again, i am older adult, and i also failed at trying to get my relatives to stop feeding Iams, Purina and Science diet............haha, sorry, i guess age doesn't reeeeeeeally matter after all...not everyone realizes it DOES matter what we feed our dogs.:rolleyes:

Dogster, do you swap out the new foods slowly? It can make a difference for some dogs. yeah, and since Shivon has apparently proven Shivon is bit sensitive in the tummy, maybe for Shivon, you should go extra extra slow,
and introduce only one new food every few weeks, til you can catch up with Sara's buffet of various dog foods. I think i will try to rotate my dog food a bit more, too...but very slowly!!:ROFLMAO:

Dogster

Honored Member
Tigerlily, I introduced the foods VERY slowly. She just didn't like them, and I don't know why. It gets annoying, you know, by the 7th time, when she wouldn't eat I started to get annoyed.:rolleyes: But she was a dumb and crazy puppy then, so hopefully things changed.:)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
AH, i just add meat scraps on top. Problem solved. Or mince the meat up all throughout the kibble. We always DO have a bit of meat to spare at my house,
and i think the various types of meat that Buddy gets are GOOD for him....he gets bits of fish, beef, chicken, pork, turkey, eggs, whatever,
makes HIS mealtime more fun,
and i feel it adds to the chances that he IS getting enough protein.

Dogster

Honored Member
At 7 months, Shivon was smart enough to eat out the meat or bits of ham.:rolleyes: Thank God she got over it.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Dogster, it might be easier, to just toss a meat scrap onto the kibble,
than continuously swap up kibbles on a sensitive-stomached dog???

edit:
for clever dogs like Shivon, one can mince up the meat into crumbs all over the kibble.

sara

Staff member
Switching kibble is really no different than adding different meats to the food. Infact, for my sensitive guy, swapping kibble doesn't make him sick, but give him a little meat, and there's a nasty mess on my floor. There's such a huge myth about kibble (comes from manufacturers wanting people to feed ONLY their foods) Seriously, it's not an issue, as long as the dog hasn't been fed the same thing every meal of every day for years.

Dogster

Honored Member
Thanks Sara!!! I want to try switching foods, to build up tolerance, if that doesn't work (I really want it to) than I will add meat to the food, like Tigerlily said.:) Sara, about your last post (#30), I will add Blue wilderness and Natural Balance to my list, plus the canned foods you mentioned.

My mom is worried though, she says that if we feed Shivon canned and dehydrated raw, she might, how can I put this.... "go on strike" and not want to eat the dry food. My mom thinks this because, once upon a time, there was a little doggie that got sick after her shots, and there was someone who fed that little doggie chicken stock because she felt sorry for her (of couse I'm talking about my mom). That little doggie wouldn't touch her food later on. I'm wondering if that was the cause.....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Yes, i know a dog who can't digest meat well, either, it's amazing to me. It is a 100% purebred dog, no idea how this happens that a dog can not digest MEAT, but, it DOES happen:eek:

I feel switching meat is all normal part of a dog's natural food,
whereas kibble can contain any number of odd ingredients that no dog was ever intended to ingest. Stuff like corn, wheat, soy, byproducts, all manner of horrific chemicals, may be in kibble,
but most dogs were intended to eat meat. The fat or fiber content in some kibbles may be way more than the dogs last kibble was, and that could cause diarrhea. But meat, is mostly about the same amount of fat, the same amount of fiber, basically the same "ingredients" one meat to another.

//" how can I put this.... "go on strike" and not want to eat the dry food..............That little doggie wouldn't touch her food later on. I'm wondering if that was the cause....."//

lol, i did this to my daughter's dog, :oops: ( i DID ask her permission first!!)
and he would no longer eat his kibble without a dab of oil or a scrap of meat on it. (my daughter is vegetarian, and has no meat in her house).
He was a cunning and clever lil dog, to be sure. My daughter DID eventually get her dog back to plain dry kibble, but, it DID take a while, and the dog DID skip many a meal til he got too hungry and gave in, and ate his plain kibble.
so i think your mom might have a valid concern. It probably varies from one dog to another, i'd guess...........some dogs can and WILL "work it" to get us humans to keep offering various improvements!! :ROFLMAO: while another dog will eat anything.

i do fear we have created a lil cuisine monster out of Buddy, who ALWAYS gets some type of embellishment on his kibble, always.
I should offer him a bowl of plain kibble, just to see if he'd eat it, i have never even tried.:ROFLMAO:

Dogster

Honored Member
Tigerlily, I really HOPE Shivon won't do it again. Sometimes she just seems too clever...
I wonder if Buddy would eat the kibble????

We don't put anything in Shivon's food anymore (just to be on the safe side), though we give her meat, veggies, yogurt, etc. as treats.:)

Dogster

Honored Member
Her favourite is a celery stick dipped in almond butter (because peanut butter is not good enough for us:rolleyes:)

sara

Staff member
Picky dogs happen, but mine certainly haven't got picky. They love meals, but then, I've made my dogs food obsessed. If you always soak the dry in water, even if you're not adding extra's, the dogs think there's extra.

Does your dog usually eat all her food right away? If not, there are ways to get that happening.

And by only adding canned or dehydrated raw every few days, she shouldn't get too picky :)

Dogster

Honored Member
That's what I think too. If I only give the "good stuff" every few days, I don't think she would notice much. And yes, she eats all of her food right away (especially with a bit of water and fish oil or flaxseed oil).:)

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Shivon is the pickiest dog I ever met. When we went camping together, Shivon didn't eat for a week! When we put yogurt on her food she would lick it off!!!

My dog will eat anything!!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Well, it sounds like Shivon might be a lil princess! There are dogs like that, and it is not impossible, that Shivon is an exceptionally brilliant dog, with a very discerning palate, who has learned "if i hold off, i might get offered something even better!":ROFLMAO: One of my children did that...mmHmm.

Amateur

Experienced Member
My philosophy is if they are hungry enough ... they will eat
but a little peanut butter mixed in doesnt hurt

Dogster

Honored Member
Shivon IS a little princess.:rolleyes: I'm hoping and I have my fingers crossed that it's just a phase.......