Doggy Dandruff

Dogster

Honored Member
My dog Shivon gets dandruff VERY easily after a bath. The dandruff continues on for days..... I bought her a natural soap bar (the best you can find in Ontario) that is anti-dandruff. No luck.:( She has these GIANT flakes, looks like she's covered in snow. I heard form someone that a raw EGG YOLK is good for dandruff, although I don't know if I should try it, as I don't know if it IS affective and Shivon also has a sensitive stomach. I would very much appreciate any comments about feeding Shivon an egg yolk for her dandruff, as well as any other suggestions.:D

Anneke

Honored Member
All I can find on the subject, is that the dog gets a dry skin. Giving salmonoil or linseedoil should help.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
What do you feed your dog?
Like, what brand of dog food? (you can msg me if you want to, i can google it and read the ingredients to see if it might be something in his diet, and write you back),
it *might* be something wrong in his dog food for him to be that dry.....some dog foods are not great, even if it is famous brand, even if it is expensive dog food, it still might not be right dog food for your dog, but-----not to worry, finding a more nutritious dog food does not always mean spending a lot.

Does Shivon scratch a lot, or no?

Anneke's ideas are good, also, you could try fish oil capsules, bust it open with a pin, and squirt a capsule onto his dog food.

Is Shivon a good water-drinker? He drinks plenty of water?

sara

Staff member
I feed Salmon Oil one meal, and Olive oil the next. Both are good for skin and coat and are healthy fats. Flax Seed oil is good too. What kind of food you feed makes a difference too, as well as if it's canned or dry. When I was only feeding dry food, Mouse used to get dandruff after a bath too, but with my new way of feeding, and always soaking their dry food in water, I have not seen any dandruff in probably 6 months.

Dogster

Honored Member
Tigerlily, here are the ingredients for Shivon's food (chicken):
Chicken, Chicken Meal,Whole Ground Rye Whole Ground Brown Rice, Pollock, Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Pea Fiber, Soybean oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Pumpkin, Apples, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Spinach, Blueberries, Potassium Chloride, Olive Oil, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Garlic, Salt, Zinc Proteinate, L-Ascrobyl-2-Polyphosphate (a source of Vitamin C), Calcium Carbonate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Iron Proteinate, Chondroitin Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation soluble, Dried Lactobacillus lactis fermentation soluble, and Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation soluble, Inulin, Yucca schidigera extract, Dried Kelp, Niacin, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Rosemary Extract.
I hope it's not the food, it's the only one she will eat.:cautious: Shivon drinks well, although her skin is a bit on the dry side in the winter. She doesn't have as much dandruff now. Sara, I'll try putting water in her food, see if it works and I'll give her flaxseed oil too.:)

sara

Staff member
You should be able to find a good supplement for skin and coat at global when you're there getting Slippery Elm! LOL

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Dogster, what is the name of this dog food? You can message me, i can read then read the pro's reviews of this dog food.
This dog food is pretty good/ not too bad, but, it could be better, but, it is definitely an above average dog food. There is no corn! YAY!!:D and no byproducts, no horrible deathly ingredients, no unspecified meats, no slaughterhouse waste, no poop, ("animal digest")no cardboard, ("cellulose") so this dog food IS above average, contains some pro-biotics, and a pretty good dog food. It lists meat, and a specified meat in MEAL form:D (great to see in a dog food).

Of the first 8 ingredients, 5 are carbs, not meat. One of the top 8 ingredients, pea fiber, IS a plain ol filler, with zero nutrients. But, the carbs used, are mostly higher quality carbs, with 2 exceptions.

In evaluating dog food ingredients,
the vast bulk of the ingredients,
are those listed PRIOR TO the main or "first listed fat" in the list. Items listed AFTER the fat, are usually not significant proportions of ingredients.

If you do decide to ever try a new dog food,
you can always add a lil scrap of meat to the dog food, the dog WILL usually eat it then. Yes, yes, then you'd ALWAYS have to add a meat scrap to it, but, meat is good for dogs,
and most homes can spare a scrap for the dog..you can even mince up the scrap, and spread it all through the dog food. And of course, swapping out dog foods has to be done slowly.

I can spot a few possible allergens in your dog's food. When a dog is allergic to something, the dog does not get runny noses or watery eyes like humans do,
dogs get SKIN problems when they are allergic.
You may also want to look over the ingredients in any store bought treats that you feed Shivon, too.
Adding fats like salmon oil, or fish oil, might be more helpful, than adding water.
unless your dog is not a great water drinker.

here are a few ingredients in that dog food, which many dogs are allergic to:
Rye
Soybean oil
Brewers Dried Yeast

Your dog food does rate an "A"
on these quizzes: i did not have full info, like is the pollack preserved with ethoyxquin)
(there are a few things i'd change on these quizzes)

http://www.pawstoadmire.com/index_files/rateyourdogfood.htm

same quiz, slightly different: (there are several versions of this quiz, floating around out there, some have been tweaked a bit here or there)
http://recipes4gourmetdogs.com/2008/10/dog-food-rating-scale/

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i like Sara's way of alternating the extra fats to the dog food, that is great idea.

I used to alternate fish oil, with cannola oil,
before it dawned on me,
whenever i use the cannola oil,
my dog itches his back on the grass more, and scratches himself more,
and i read up on "what IS cannola oil" and i then learned, it is not a good thing.:rolleyes:

so i now never use that anymore. Just fish oil, but, i may, try a bit of olive oil now and then, too. Adding fats to a dog food, helps the dog absorb some of the fat-soluble vitamins, too.

Dogster

Honored Member
THANK YOU Tigerlily!!!!!:LOL: The food is Lotus, by the way, sorry I forgot to write the name last time:cautious: . Shivon wouldn't eat the better-quality foods, like Acana or Performatrin. There were some other ones too, but I lost track after the 7th food change.:rolleyes: I might try a different food, I was thinking of Orijen. I would like to ask if Orijen has TOO MUCH meat for Shivon, because at the pet store (Global Pet Foods) they told me not to buy it, as it contains too much protein. I don't agree with them, but rather be safe than sorry.:rolleyes: I think Shivon might be allergic to the Brewer's dried yeast, it wasn't in the other foods before. I'll try the fish oil today, with her food. By the way, the problem with adding meat to her dog food is that If we go somewhere where we can't take meat, she WILL NOT eat her food. So I try to avoid that.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
well, i hear you, you have a valid concern, cuz you ARE right, Dogster!!!---->once you add an embellishment to a dogs food, BAM! the clever dog now will balk at dog food without the extra meat! You could always pack a bit of hotdog or cheese to drop on top when travelling, or even a smear of peanut butter when travelling.

We wanted to raw feed, but, we realized, we could not afford it, and frankly, my guy balks at the idea, despite my frequent attempts to educate him on it.:rolleyes:

but we compromised with each other we started addding cooked meat to every bowl,
cuz our dog was "life-threateningly" malnourished, and we wanted to jump-start his nutritional rehab, so we do always add a bit of whatever protein we ate,
Buddy gets some......fish, chicken, pork, beef, venison, eggs, turkey, whatever. We just take some and if it is spiced, we rinse it off well, and then add it to his bowl.

When we travel, we do think ahead of what lil embellishment will travel well, and do bring something along. Even a package of tuna, which is sometimes sold in very small foil containers now.

I hear you on your dog not doing well on the top shelf dog foods, my dog LIKED them, but, wowza, he got horrible gas on all the potatoes in the "grain free" kind.:oops::sick::eek:
we could not stay in the same room with him!!:ROFLMAO:

Buddy was one lonely dog on the "grain free" dog foods!!!;)
Plus, we really could not afford those top shelf "grain free" kinds.

Most of the "grain free" dog foods, are chockful of potatoes, just full of potatoes, AS IF, potatoes are somehow superior to oats or rice. Nutritionally, potatoes are pretty darn close to oats or rice, really.
We ended up feeding "Chicken soup for the dog lover's soul" which is a great dog food, but not perfect, but for the price of about a $1 a pound, it is hard to beat. It lists 4 meat or meatmeals on top of list, hard to beat, and it's made in my country.
If i could afford it, or if i had smaller dogs,
i would probably buy Orijen or Wellness dog foods, taste of the wild, or blue wilderness is good, too. Lotsa top dog foods.

Yeah, i never know what to make of the "too high of protein in dog food could damage their kidneys" either.:confused: .......first off, a dog food tends to list ALL proteins, whether or not the protein is biodegradable and absorbable to the dog....like, even leather, cardboard and corn has protein in it, but a dog fed all corn and leather would be malnourished, it is no longer biodegradable and absorbable to a dog.

Most meats are about 20% protein, odd, as you'd think it was 100% protein, but, it's not. It's mostly water.
off topic, but, you, Dogster, are like 60% to 75% water! who knew, right?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
but, you could try a yeast free dog food, and if Shivon's dandruff goes away, problem solved. If it doesn't, well, maybe Shivon is just gonna be a flakey dog? who knows?

or, if you are happy with the food you have, which is good dog food,
maybe adding in fish oils, or more oils, will solve it??

Dogster

Honored Member
LOVE the post, Tigerlily!!!! I LOVE your enthusiasm. Anyways, back on topic, I searched up Chicken Soup, I think it's GREAT, just what is this???- choline chloride Just curious. I hate it when there are A LOT of potatoes in grain-free dog foods. I know, technically, potatoes aren't grains, BUT they have starch, and it's not good for dogs. I want to stay away from potatoes, Shivon gets gas from them too.:sick::sick: NEVER going in that direction again. I think Shivon gets gas after yogurt, or fruits, I'm not sure (Sometimes my mom can't help it, just HAS to give her table scraps. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I'm also guilty.:oops: ). Shivon also HATES fish. I'm wondering why??? Have to finish the food I have now before we start changing foods, again. But first I'll try the fish oil, see if it works.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
it is some type of preservative, and it is B vitamin,
but it does not make the list of ingredients to avoid:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

Preservatives to avoid include BHA, BHT, and ethoxyquin---often found in fish, and NOT always listed when they write "fish", you have to go to the manufacturer's website to discover, if they are using ethoxyquin to preverve the fish.

chicken soup is not perfect, but, for the price, for some one on a budget, it is hard to beat. It's not the best ever dog food, but it is good dog food, and we do make each meal about 1/3 to 1/2 meat. We have sort of advanced from a sliver, to about 1/3 to 1/2!! ha ha!! But, we've had yet another kid move out lately, so we have more meat now!!:ROFLMAO:

i also found this on the whole "too much protein" question, which i do not know much about:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=protein_myth

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
buddy only eats WARM fish, unless it is tuna. and he hated even warm fish at first, it took him many tries to "like" fish, but, now he does. I eat a LOT of fish, so that helps him like it, maybe...i hand him lil bits of MY fish, if he will "smile" at me, or do another trick. Or look at me while i hold the bit near his face. but yes, i am guilty of feeding my dog from the table!!:rolleyes:

I limit his tuna, due to concerns about mercury, etc.
but wow, he LOVES tuna.

he is such a lil prince, he only eats WARM eggs, too. Even tepid eggs, he is NOW too good for them...all this from a dog who ate poop when we met him.:rolleyes:

Dogster

Honored Member
Shivon HATES only fish in food (I guess I forgot to mention that, whoops:oops:) Shivon LOVES tuna. I give it to her on special occasions (birthday). She loves all "human" food, she will eat anything. ALL dogs prefer human food to dog food, I am pretty certain.:rolleyes: