We've Added Another Deaf Pack Member To Our Family!

Gordykins

Experienced Member
So... this must be a really stupid question... but how do you clicker train a deaf animal? I always thought they had to hear a click?

sara

Staff member
Thanks all!

So... this must be a really stupid question... but how do you clicker train a deaf animal? I always thought they had to hear a click?
Easy, you clicker train with either a light or a hand signal. Scout was trained using a thumbs up and Mouse, Boo, and Munch are trained using a little LED keychain light

Here's Mouse's first session learning to "read a book" You can see the flashes of light.

Gordykins

Experienced Member
Thanks all!

Easy, you clicker train with either a light or a hand signal. Scout was trained using a thumbs up and Mouse, Boo, and Munch are trained using a little LED keychain light

Here's Mouse's first session learning to "read a book" You can see the flashes of light.
Makes sense! Thanks for the adorable demo too :)
I just hadn't thought of hand signals and things like that as clicker training before. One of the other foster moms who I know had a foster dog who was hard of hearing, and she used a thumbs up. The trainer had recommended a laser pointer until she learned that chasing the laser pointer was the one thing that really made this dog light up... so she suggested that she kept the light as a playtime thing, and just used the hand signal.