We've Added Another Deaf Pack Member To Our Family!

sara

Staff member
And he's a CAT!!!

I decided to get a cat a few weeks ago, and started looking seriously last week. I was thinking I'd have to get a kitten, to get everything I wanted in a cat. I wanted on that would, not only be good with the dogs, but that would play with the dogs. I wanted an indoor, friendly, cuddly cat, who is food oriented so I could clicker train it, and one that would accept baths, I also prefer male cats.

I did not think, in any way, that I would be able to find a deaf cat, as they're very rare... especially one that would fit my criteria...

Then, on my third day of looking at Kijiji (not including trips to the shelter and SPCA) There was a deaf cat posted!!!

And he's PERFECT!!!! He's pure white, with blue eyes, he's 8 months old, neutered, thankfully not declawed, playful, cuddly, great with the dogs, and... get this.... LIKES BATHS! (I found him playing in the water in the bathtub, so I bathed him :) ) He came with everything he needs, and has settled in perfectly. I got him at 5:30 last night and he ate, played, used the litterbox, and slept with me and my 3 dogs in the bed (though his purring right next to my head will take a bit to get used to :) ) I even was able to do a clicker training session with him last night (LOVES freeze-dried liver :p )

I cannot believe a perfect deaf cat came along, just when I started looking for one! I'm seriously impressed!

i haven't decided on a name yet. he came with the name Casper, but it's too common, I need a literary name for him (all my animals are named after literary characters) But I'm leaning towards Merlin

So if any of you have any ideas, that'd be great.

unfortunately, I cannot put pics on the library computers, so I'll have to wait until my roommate gets home to post any of the 300+ pics I've already taken of him :)

ooooooh I get to buy a whole new bunch of pet stuff! there's some pretty cool cat stuff out there!

Dogster

Honored Member
Congratulations!!!!!:D Aww, he sounds perfect!!!:love: I'm glad you stumbled upon him!! I love the name Merlin by the way!:)
I can't wait to see pictures!!!:)

sara

Staff member
Thanks all :) He's really fun... except when he wakes me up in the middle of the night, laying on my head batting my nose LOL He's had 2 clicker training sessions (both filmed) and he's starting to understand the light means food :) He's really food motivated, so we'll do very well.

bekah1001

Honored Member
YAY! Can't wait for pictures! He sounds like an awesome cat. Mine is very curious about water we haven't tried giving him a bath yet :p

sara

Staff member
So, I had a bath last night, and the goofy cat was sitting on the edge of the tub, batting the bubbles! it was hilarious!

Mouse is kinda scared of him (he's whacked her several times) so I don't think I'll teach him to whack her... yet :p

sara

Staff member
Goofy kitty update!

Apparently, he decided my bath wasn't... ummm..... sticky enough. He decided to add in a half glass of red wine!

He's started enticing the dogs to play with him now, and, for the first time since I got him, he decided that I needed another body in my bed (4 of us aren't enough, apparently!) He plunked himself on my chest, turned his motor on, and stayed there most of the night... periodically kneading my cheeks and licking my face. Suffice it to say, I didn't have the most restful night:(:sleep::coffee: I don't actually think the cat sleeps... ever!:rolleyes:

So I have a few more ideas on names... I thought them up while the cat was inducing insomnia O_o

Mr. Munch (Robert Munch, the children's Author)
Heffalump (Winnie the Pooh, but I don't think it suits him)
Peter Rabbit (Tales of Peter Rabbit, Children's series)
Tom Kitten (Same as above, but Tom is a little too common)
Sawyer (Huckleberry Finn)
Shadowfax (Gandalf's horse in Lord of the Rings... but too dignified)
Hobbs (Calvin and Hobbs comic strip)
Cricket (Horse in Anne McAffery's Dragonsdawn)
Seuss (rather obvious LOL)

ok so any other ideas? I though posting this list might jog some brains :p

southerngirl

Honored Member
Apparently, he decided my bath wasn't... ummm..... sticky enough. He decided to add in a half glass of red wine!

He's started enticing the dogs to play with him now, and, for the first time since I got him, he decided that I needed another body in my bed (4 of us aren't enough, apparently!) He plunked himself on my chest, turned his motor on, and stayed there most of the night... periodically kneading my cheeks and licking my face. Suffice it to say, I didn't have the most restful night:(:sleep::coffee: I don't actually think the cat sleeps... ever!:rolleyes:
LoL that's too funny.:ROFLMAO:
My old cat Tag used to do the kneading and licking, he also softly bit(when he did this I put him out of my room)