Two Females In The Same House?

SD&B

Experienced Member
I think the general consensus is that you can have two females together, that problems arise more from individual temperaments than gender. I have had 2 females at once with no problem. I've also heard you shouldn't have 2 males together. But think about it this way. If you can't match female to female or male to male, how does anyone ever successfully have more than 2 dogs? After 1 male and 1 female, you've run out of options. I know a lot of people have 3 or more dogs without issues. If I wanted a second female, I would consider the individual puppy. Gender would not be the deciding factor.

SD&B

Experienced Member
I don't think she's ugly. She may be a little rough for wear right now, but she is by no means ugly. A little bit of TLC and she will really blossom.

Dogster

Honored Member
She is not ugly.:)She's absolutely beautiful.:love::love: Not many people can see how absolutely beautiful and perfect she is. They just see the rope burns. I bet in a couple of months, no one will guess that she had severe rope burns on her muzzle.

luckylego

Experienced Member
Just so nobody thinks I'm horribly mean about the ugly comment.. It was all said in love. We actually affectionately refer to her as the little gremlin :) Once she gets all cleared up and grows some of her fur back, she'll be a gibbled up little stunner! Apparently she'll be stunted for life - think pygmy pittie haha, but shes got a boat load of attitude to compensate :D

I cant quote because I'm typing on my phone, but that was a very good point that was raised.. obviously they cant rule me out because I would have two females, because then.how.could ANYONE have more than 2 dogs? I should seriously consider raising that point when we apply for her.. should that issue come up. I'm starting to thibk our chances are increasing though.. Id like to think I have an "in", working with one of the people who runs the rescue, and I've dealt with medical nightmare dogs before, so hopefully it works out. We are planning on waiting until the ens of the month to call (if I havent already said this), to give her more timw to strengthen up and become eligible for a foster to adopt type situation.. so please keep your fingera crossed for us that we can convince them that we can manage two female dogs

Argh.. excuse all the typos.. i hate typing on my phone :(

luckylego

Experienced Member
So I'm a bit disappointed today..

Not so much for me, but for my boyfriend, Tom, who really had his heart set on this dog - and hes usually not an excitable person like this at ALL. He's going to be heartbroken when i get home..

He asked if I would enquire about the puppy today, and who he should talk to about taking her on once shes better.. the answer I received was that we are in no way in the running, we arent even being considered, all because Lego is a girl. No other reason or explanation, no room for negociation.. I'd understand if maybe they thought we wouldnt be the right fit, but to deny us even the possibility on the basis that Lego is female... well that just plain sucks.. and doesnt quite seem fair. We went from being the most promising home there was, to not even a second thought in less than a week... gahh!

I'll break the news to Tom after work.. I'm sure he'll still try and convince them, but its looking like he'll have to keep searching the shelters for his next dog.

Thanks for all the advice though.. its good to know im not crazy for thinking having two.females can work!

Dogster

Honored Member
That is just a bunch of :poop:. Why would they do that?!?!? It doesn't make sense.:confused::mad: That is not a reason as to why you shouldn't adopt her!!! What I would do, is introduce the two dogs (once the pup geets better and can meet other dogs of course) to prve how nice and gentle Lego is and that two females CAN get along.

southerngirl

Honored Member
THAT IS SO STUPID!! How can they tell you that you can't have her because you have a girl. I just can't believe that. Do they not realize tons of people have more than one girl in the same household. You decide if the two will get along be introducing them, not say "oh she's a girl so you can't have another girl.:mad:

MaryK

Honored Member
That's absolutely rubbish!!!!!!! I had five dogs and THREE were females! They all got along really well, LOL though the two boys did have to watch their P's and Q's the girls ruled. But there wasn't any fighting or arguing at all. All five dogs were neutered, different ages and two were GSs, the other three a mix of crosses. And all rescue dogs with different stories and issues.

Personally I think there's someone else after the dog, who just maybe more 'in' with the decision makers. Just a feeling I have.

Don't give up! If she's meant to be your dog, nothing can stop that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go for it Tom!!!!!!!!

MaryK

Honored Member
LOL, how did you know he was gay???:D
One of the young female GSs came into heat faster than was expected and had to delay her spaying operation. When she was really full on, she gave Yogi Bear the 'glad eye' a real 'come on' and he, instead of taking full advantage of such an offering, leaped onto my lap (he was BC X) shaking like a leaf from head to foot and buried his head under my hair at the back of my neck. When she went for her operation, vet was amazed she wasn't pregnant. We then had a test done on Yogi Bear and yes he was gay.

luckylego

Experienced Member
HAHA! I love you MaryK :D

Unfortunately its a definitely firm no, although we hate the reason behind it, we have to respect their decision.. So at this point we're still searching for our new dog - regardless of the sex :)

Mutt

Experienced Member
Eventuall you will find the perfect dog!
I must say that if I were you I would go for a female - male combination, but that's my opinion

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Uh-oh, there goes Dogster....:LOL::ROFLMAO:

So sorry it didn't work out, I can only imagine the disappointment you feel. However, I've always believed when things like that don't work out, it's because that wasn't the dog that was meant for you. Out there somewhere, is your dog. That one special dog, that is supposed to be yours. You just haven't met him/her yet. When you see him tho, you'll know - and you'll life will be forever changed. Keep your eyes and heart open. :love:

MaryK

Honored Member
So sorry it didn't work out for you but Jackie is right! Somewhere out there is the perfect dog for you and he/she will arrive, almost by accident, when you least expect it. We just need to 'go with the flow of the Universe' it's always right and always finds exactly the right dog for us and our other dogs.:love:
Dogster is on the case already!:D