Trick Challenge

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
Helllo!!
I have a trick challenge:
This is a video called: Heelwork to Music - Freestyle International - 1st Place - Crufts 2012
I was watching it on youtube and really liked a trick.
It's the one that the dog "kind of helps the guy to get up", it's close to the end...
I'm going to try teach this trick. Try too!

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman.
The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
Edward Hoagland
See more of me and Laika: www.youtube.com/tamaravm
232323232-fp635-7-nu=7933--77-242-WSNRCG=3675779-9;333nu0mrj.jpg

Anneke

Honored Member
Ow yes!! That is a great trick!!
This team soooo deserved first place!! So many complicated tricks! I loved this performance!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I LOVE LOVE LOVE doggie dancing!! I loved that clip, too, i kept expecting him to have dog leap over sword at least once, lol.
I like the hand pull trick at end too.

shall we all work on that trick this week then? I have NO IDEA how to teach that, i guess i'll just have to figure it out as i go along? lol

southerngirl

Honored Member
:( Wish I could join the challenge it looks like a really cool trick, but I'm stuck on darn crutches. Well good luck to everyone joining the challenge can't wait to see your dogs doing it.

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
:( Wish I could join the challenge it looks like a really cool trick, but I'm stuck on darn crutches. Well good luck to everyone joining the challenge can't wait to see your dogs doing it.
I'm also , kkkk!!, but I'm going to take them out in just a few days...

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman.
The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
Edward Hoagland

southerngirl

Honored Member
I'm also , kkkk!!, but I'm going to take them out in just a few days...
Lucky I still have two more weeks with my cast than I have to get a boot for 1 week, at least with the boot I won't have to use crutches (well I don't think I'll have to)

running_dog

Honored Member
You could still teach the combination of "paw on arm" and "back up" while you move just your arm towards Missy? Then you wouldn't be completely left out :).

Zac's only just started working on "back up" as more than a word association and last time I asked for "paws on arm" Zac tried to jump over my arm and bashed me in the face... for us this trick might need an health warning!!! :ROFLMAO:

running_dog

Honored Member
I tried this a couple of times today, just paws on arm (then down to one paw on wrist) and then moving my arm towards Zac saying "back". He had no idea what he was doing but it looked like with some work it could become this trick. The arm actually helps as it is providing support and helps to direct Zac to move back.

Has any one else tried yet? I think if a dog has a good back up and is confident hopping around on 3 legs it should catch on quickly. Zac isn't at his most focussed at the moment :rolleyes:.

Anneke

Honored Member
No haven't tried it yet, as I am still working on back up with Jinx. She still can't do it on cue and only just 3 or 4 paces.
Cooper is being Cooper. Not feeling like working at the moment:rolleyes::D

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
I'm gonna give it a go. I had an idea for another trick like this in the regards of helping someone up but different. Not sure if you could do it or how but the idea I had was
your sitting or something dog tugs your sleeve till you are on your knees then gets behind you to nudge your bum to "help" you up.

southerngirl

Honored Member
You could still teach the combination of "paw on arm" and "back up" while you move just your arm towards Missy? Then you wouldn't be completely left out :).
I'll try that:D.
Once I get my cast off I'll teach her the rest of the it.

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
I made the first session today with ""Paw on arm" plus "back up""
It was good, sounds it'll work...

Edward Hoagland

running_dog

Honored Member
No haven't tried it yet, as I am still working on back up with Jinx. She still can't do it on cue and only just 3 or 4 paces.
Cooper is being Cooper. Not feeling like working at the moment:rolleyes::D
I think a dog with a good back up will find this trick super easy but for this trick (to start with) it doesn't actually matter that much if "back up" is kinda shaky. Zac's isn't more than 2 paces at best.

If you don't use the cue for back up and just direct Jinx back via back pressure from the paw on the arm you'd probably be fine and won't even poison the "back up" cue. It seemed easier for Zac to back up with this trick than as a proper "back". You might be surprised how easy this trick is.

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
I think a dog with a good back up will find this trick super easy but for this trick (to start with) it doesn't actually matter that much if "back up" is kinda shaky. Zac's isn't more than 2 paces at best.

If you don't use the cue for back up and just direct Jinx back via back pressure from the paw on the arm you'd probably be fine and won't even poison the "back up" cue. It seemed easier for Zac to back up with this trick than as a proper "back". You might be surprised how easy this trick is.
I did exacly this for don't poison my back up.