Trick Challenge: Hide Your Eyes

Discussion in 'Training Challenges' started by running_dog, May 22, 2014.

1. Ripleygirl Experienced Member

Thank you! That makes me feel a lot more positive! And it would be very cute if I could get her to do it in a bow position!!! Hope you get on with Zac and he starts to get it! :)
    running_dog likes this.

2. Ripleygirl Experienced Member

I hope this way will make you have a break through with Leaf!
    running_dog and MaryK like this.
  3. MaryK Honored Member

We took a day off from training today, as we were out all day. Am going to try again tomorrow. All fingers crossed!
    Bought her yet another new toy, maybe that as a 'reward' will help??;)
    running_dog and Ripleygirl like this.
  4. MaryK Honored Member

Break Through!!!!!!!!!(y):D Today I used Anneke's method of asking for her paw and, WITHOUT FOOD AS A LURE she looked under her paw! Cannot believe she actually did it without food but she did! All I did was hold my other hand down, and voila, she looked to see why. A bit like 'say your prayers'.

Interesting though was the fact that she will do it with both paws, individually of course. She's normally a right pawed dog but.......she'll do it for either paw though is better with the left.

Could she be ambidexterous?

Now all I have to do is get her to do it without my holding her paw. At present she's resting heavily on my hand. Am trying to use just the finger (as I did with limp) and it's not going too bad! Yeah, may yet have a dog who will do 'shy':D
    Ripleygirl and running_dog like this.
  5. running_dog Honored Member

Well done you both (y)

I'm doing something similar with Zac.
    MaryK and Ripleygirl like this.
  6. Ripleygirl Experienced Member

Well done for the breakthrough!!!
    MaryK and running_dog like this.
  7. MaryK Honored Member

Thank you:) The 'curse' is lifted!

How is Zac going? I'm go to try to get semi-tamed partner to vid our progress on the w/end.
    running_dog and Ripleygirl like this.
  8. MaryK Honored Member

Thank you! So glad it's happened!

Sorry everyone - typo I didn't pick up - ambidextrous - somehow an 'e' got in the way!:oops: No reward for me :rolleyes:
    Ripleygirl likes this.
  9. running_dog Honored Member

Trying all different ways to get him to understand it is his head going down not him looking at my hand that is important :rolleyes:
    MaryK likes this.
  10. MaryK Honored Member

LOL Oh dear, maybe Zac is into Palm Reading:whistle: Roll up Roll up let Gypsy Zac read your palms.;)

Seriously, perhaps try using your open hand under your arm. Or a favorite toy. Does your hand 'smell' of interesting doggy treats? He may think his reward is in your hands.
    running_dog likes this.
  11. running_dog Honored Member

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think it is like that, I'll try to get round to videoing him to show you :)
    MaryK likes this.
  12. MaryK Honored Member

We may be a bit late as Zeus isn't well. See my post in off topic Zeus' Health. Leaf's still doing well, albeit I'm a bit behind with her training this week been a worrying time, but still needs 'support'. I'm hoping she'll do the same as she did with limp, need support for a while then suddenly 'get it'. That's her usual modus operandi:D
    running_dog likes this.
  13. running_dog Honored Member

I'm sorry I'm not going to post a video of Zac today (and no he can't do the trick yet). I hope to film and post an in progress report tomorrow.
    MaryK likes this.
  14. Ripleygirl Experienced Member

I have not had a chance to film yet, I am hoping to at the weekend... sorry guys. I will as soon as I can.
  15. running_dog Honored Member

Finally I videoed our work in progress video (or maybe it should be our work not in progress)

I'm currently trying to click Zac for non contact of his leg on my hand. Hope fully this will get him away from the idea his paw should relax and rest on my arm.

Although I am no longer giving a treat from my hand he won't seem to look down without my hand being there so it is very difficult to fade. I might have to train target stick for this.
  16. Ripleygirl Experienced Member

You will get there running_dog... patience... Zac is concentrating and trying and you are doing the more complicated way, way to go!!! (y)
    running_dog and MaryK like this.
  17. ellieh Active Member

For Zac, at 0.26 seconds i would click that and keep rewarding for anything he offers you that is similar, raise the criteria slowly. He so nearly did it then all on his own.

I am not listening to this with any sound, the clicks send all my dogs into a frenzy they think it is work time!! So you may have clicked at that point or cued it, but i can't hear so apologies if you are.
    running_dog, MaryK and Ripleygirl like this.
  18. running_dog Honored Member

Thanks, you made me look at the video again and see what you are seeing :). I clicked at about 0.27 seconds (me being slow). But after what you said I saw a number of times when I was using the hand target/lure where I could have just tried shaping, instead I was trying to mark the raised paw with "yes" then present the hand target and click. I got a bit muddled at times though :rolleyes:.

He almost always turns his head away as he lowers it. I don't know whether to click this or not.

I know what you mean about not being able to watch with sound!
    MaryK and Ripleygirl like this.
  19. ellieh Active Member

I would try this, like you say he does it anyway so if it comes naturally it is more likely to stick as a default rather than trying to lure him to do it. Does that make sense? Things do in my head :p
  20. Ripleygirl Experienced Member

Gonna try and vid tomorrow for me and Ripley... Hopefully!
    ellieh, MaryK and running_dog like this.