Training Trial

Dogster

Honored Member
Me too!!! Positive reinforcement all the way!!!:)
Moetrout, just as you have strong opinions on the type of training you use, we have strong opinions on positive reinforcement training. Don't try to change us. If you want, you can find another forum. Here, we will always be +R:)

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
....what gets to me is many people here think there is only ONE way. That is simply not true. My use of a shock collar rarely has anything to do with pain or fear. In fact one of it's biggest uses is the TONE fuction for recall. My dog does not go out without the collar on it. I refer to it as the treat collar, because he goes out with it on and when I need him to come in I tone him and he comes running just as he would with a whistle to get his treat. Guess what? I also use a whistle. Why? Because I believe in using all my options.
I will stop now, you don't want me here and I don't really want to be a part of it anymore.
Hi moetrout.
I agree with you that it is nice to have a variety of tools when training a dog. One thing I really love about training is variety; the more options I have, the more fun training is! I like that you pared a tone with a treat to motivate your dog to come back to you. It sounds like your dog is very happy to come back to you when he hears it because he knows a treat is coming. That is a really nice idea.
I once heard of a positive trainer that does a lot of distance work in movies that uses a similar technique. The dogs have learned that one type of vibration in the collar means that they are doing a great job and they should keeping doing what they are doing and another vibration lets them know they are all done and they can run back to their trainer.

I had a teacher who would always tell us to look at every dog trainer and see what you like that they do or what you can modify to use yourself. I think it is good to be open minded and always be ready to add a new technique to your tool box.

I have seen several dogs that wear shock collars that are very anxious though. I have also seen some dogs that are very nervous about the boundaries in their yard because they know they will get a shock if they get too close so they wont go with in 20 feet of the boundary since they are worried about the consequences. I think that some uses of shock collars can create some negative behaviors. I personally choose not to use a shock collar on my dog because he is very sensitive and I think he has a stronger potential to develop fear of the collar or a negative association with the environment.

I enjoy a very strong bond with my dog. I really enjoy training my dog and I love playing games with him. I prefer positive methods because I don't find the fun in correcting my dog. ...but I still have very high standards for my dog. He also enjoys training and has a very strong work ethic. I love that my dog loves to learn. I was once told by a trainer who taught for over 30 years and specialized in competition obedience that my dog was the smartest dog she had ever met. The truth is he isn't exceptionally smart, he is probably about average. The difference was that he really enjoyed learning and really applied himself to any given task, because it was so much fun! I continue to enjoy positive reinforcement because my dog really enjoys it too.

I am glad that you are open minded and look for new creative ideas. I think you will find a lot of good ideas here on this forum. I hope you get a chance to experiment with a variety of positive reinforcement techniques! Enjoy your training!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to let everyone know that moetrout has requested his/her account to be deleted, and thus will not receive any more notifications and won't be able to respond to your messages.

Gordykins

Experienced Member
Wow...someone is grumpy. LOL I dont see any of the past posts being vomit enducing. :)

I use a martengale. I use it sparingly. 99% of my training is Positive reenforcement and clicker based. Even when I use the martengale to correct i do so gently and when she does as asked she gets a treat. Not sure what you all will make of that but is what has worked for me.

Wait... I'm confused. I had learned that Martingale collars were to be used as a safety precaution for dogs who have a neck circumference equal to or greater than their head, because it keeps them from being able to slip their collar. It sounds like you are using it as a training collar?

I just ask because I saw some cute Martingale collars on Etsy, and was thinking of getting one for Gordy. Gordy doesn't slip his collar, so I don't really NEED it... but I liked the designs! I didn't think that wearing it would be any different than a flat collar as long as it was adjusted properly, meaning that even when he pulls it tight, it won't fit over his head, but won't be too tight around his neck. :unsure: Would it be okay for him??

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Wait... I'm confused. I had learned that Martingale collars were to be used as a safety precaution for dogs who have a neck circumference equal to or greater than their head, because it keeps them from being able to slip their collar. It sounds like you are using it as a training collar?

I just ask because I saw some cute Martingale collars on Etsy, and was thinking of getting one for Gordy. Gordy doesn't slip his collar, so I don't really NEED it... but I liked the designs! I didn't think that wearing it would be any different than a flat collar as long as it was adjusted properly, meaning that even when he pulls it tight, it won't fit over his head, but won't be too tight around his neck. :unsure: Would it be okay for him??
Gordykins, if you found a cute Martingale you want to get just to use as a cute collar, go right ahead. That's the purpose of Martingale collars. It does sound like Blacknym is using it as a "training collar". I have a Martingale for Makena that I used for years to walk her on, as she's reative. It was recommended by the owner/director of our training facility which is strictly positive reinforcement - she recommends all reactive dogs walk on them so "no accident ever occurs" - meaning, no reactive dog ever slips their collar when out walking and then goes at another dog, or slips their collar and then bolts off and is now running loose in a neighborhood, etc. Feel free to get that cute collar. We also use 1-1/2" - 2" Martingale's (the extra-wide ones used for Greyhounds) for Nosework, kind of as the dog's "working uniform collar" because a collar that wide feels very different around their necks than their usual 1" collar. I put that wide collar on mine and they know it's time to "go search".

Go get that cute collar and have fun with it! You know you won't be using it for corrections and that's all that counts.

Gordykins

Experienced Member
Gordykins, if you found a cute Martingale you want to get just to use as a cute collar, go right ahead. That's the purpose of Martingale collars. It does sound like Blacknym is using it as a "training collar". I have a Martingale for Makena that I used for years to walk her on, as she's reative. It was recommended by the owner/director of our training facility which is strictly positive reinforcement - she recommends all reactive dogs walk on them so "no accident ever occurs" - meaning, no reactive dog ever slips their collar when out walking and then goes at another dog, or slips their collar and then bolts off and is now running loose in a neighborhood, etc. Feel free to get that cute collar. We also use 1-1/2" - 2" Martingale's (the extra-wide ones used for Greyhounds) for Nosework, kind of as the dog's "working uniform collar" because a collar that wide feels very different around their necks than their usual 1" collar. I put that wide collar on mine and they know it's time to "go search".

Go get that cute collar and have fun with it! You know you won't be using it for corrections and that's all that counts.

Cool, thanks!! I love the look of dogs in the wider collars, but haven't found any wide flat collars that I like for Gordy (aside from Martingales). Breelan, our other dog (I'm not sure if I've even really posted about her before... might have to post in the meet the dogs section for her!), has a wide flat collar, and it just looks so beautiful on her :)

Mutt

Experienced Member
A halfcheck (I don't know the English term?) would be right than or do you mean those?
This is a normal collor with a small chain part. The idea is that when there is tension on the leash (and so the collar), the
chain part will pull 'tight' so that the normal collar are pulled together. When chosen the right size the dog should have no discomfort from the tension as the collar should have the size so that the dog won't get chocked.

This way the collar hangs loosly around the neck when there is no tension/off leash, but gets pulled tighter (as in the collar won't easily slip off the dogs head, so not that the dog gets chocked!).

Mmh hard to explain, but this is the idea:

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
I always kept my golden on a fabric martingale collar (no chain) after the incidence where he decided that people were scary, slipped his collar and bolted down the street.I didn't like that if he bolted he got a strong tug on his neck from the force of his trying to get away, but it was the only thing I trusted that he couldn't get out of and my priority was not to lose my dog. Now I can use any collar on him and I have no worries about possibly losing him because he has really come a long way. He is a lot more social and even if he was to slip his collar I know he wouldn't take off.

southerngirl

Honored Member
To keep Missy from slipping out I have her wearing a collar, a halti head collar that attaches to her collar. I have the leash attached to both her harness and head collar. When in the neighborhood I only have the leash attached to her halter, but if I see another dog I connect the Halti. This give me a lot more control to keep her from freaking out and she can't escape.

ackerleynelson

Thanks for sharing your tips. I agree that, it is important to start training your new puppy as soon as you bring it home. Training can be done yourself or a professional can be hired. Staying positive and taking the time to play with your dog during sessions will teach him that following commands is happy and rewarding.