Teaching Dog To Count

DevonW

I saw a Western Routine with a Horse at a fall fair where he had the horse tap out the correct response to a math equation with his hoof. This is what I got from it.

He taught the horse to target with his hoof simple enough to do with a dog

The cue the horse took to target the ground the correct amount of times came from a minuscule hand signal. He would have his hand by his side and would tap his leg with one finger each time he wanted the horse to target. Start big like using your whole hand to signal to tap then gradually decrease the motion to something barely visible (after all most eyes are on the animal not you).

He then used a release word to prevent the horse from continuing targeting.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I saw a Western Routine with a Horse at a fall fair where he had the horse tap out the correct response to a math equation with his hoof. This is what I got from it.

He taught the horse to target with his hoof simple enough to do with a dog

The cue the horse took to target the ground the correct amount of times came from a minuscule hand signal. He would have his hand by his side and would tap his leg with one finger each time he wanted the horse to target. Start big like using your whole hand to signal to tap then gradually decrease the motion to something barely visible (after all most eyes are on the animal not you).

He then used a release word to prevent the horse from continuing targeting.
That's exactly what I experimented with last week after I posted my reply here letting you know I would tell you how I think it should be done... but in my eagerness to teach Missy to count with her paw... I taught her to target with her paw instead! :D Oops!

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
Yes, you see more the dog than the trainer so it's hard to say. But I think that the signal is on the eyes, looks like that when she looks to the dog he moves the paw and when she looks away he stops.

CJSophie

I have a small jack Russell, she stands about 12" high from head to paw, I began working on the counting trick yesterday. I opted to go with the start/stop barking technique to show counting.

I got all my info from the Internet and I began teaching by getting her to bark by saying speak and holding my index finger up as the hand signal, when I want her to stop, I make a closed fist. So far this is successful but I have to keep saying "Speak" or she will just stop barking.

As far as a subtitle cue, I am lost. While I'm doing my verbal cue and hand signal listed above, I also look down at her with my head tilted down (chin on chest) and when I want her to stop I lift my head and stop looking at her. Also, since she is so small I began teaching her with her on my bed.

My question is, I don't think my subtitle cue is very good becaus I often look down at her when I am teaching other tricks, what can I use for a subtile cue for a hyper JRT? I can't do the "Look in right eye, then break eye contact" becaus she is constantly moving while I'm trying to teach things. I really want to get this trick because whn I was little, my aunt taught her Terrier how to count and never told me how she did it, but as I remember, her dog was calm and collective. However, my dg is not. Sometimes she will even do tricks before I command them. It's like she will just do one until its right but that's only when I'm showing her off.

I really need help with this. I am aware that it will take some patience and time which I am willing to do. I spend every day with her so we have a great relationship. Any tips would gladly be appreciated.

Dogster

Honored Member
That video sure does explain it. I actually saw a documentary once with that dog and her owner, where I think they were actually testing this theory, and if Maggie can actually do math. I forgot the outcome, I watched it a long time ago. I'll try to find the video. :)