Teaching Dog To Count

Discussion in 'Training Challenges' started by huntyr, Oct 19, 2012.

1. huntyr Well-Known Member

has anyone taught their dog to count?
    I dont want him to bark, I want him to tap his paw.
    But really at a loss at where to start.

I search for counting on threads but it didnt turn up anything.
    Tâmara Vaz and MaryK like this.

2. MaryK Honored Member

I'm in the process of trying to teach Ra Kismet to count. I haven't found anything either, so what I have started to do is ask him for his paw (not shake paws) and just saying "One" when he offers his paw. Then moving onto to asking for his paw, saying one and then asking again and saying two. I'm not sure if this is right but so far it seems to be working

I am sure someone here will have taught counting, so hopefully we can both learn:D
    Tâmara Vaz likes this.
  3. huntyr Well-Known Member

oh how fun. Ok I will try this with you and see what happens. Tommorrow is our jack russell fun day and I will be asking a few others that do tricks for advice too *S*
    will share with you what they say!

MaryK and Tâmara Vaz like this.
  4. Tâmara Vaz Experienced Member

I have the same question.
    I wanted to teach this, but couldn't.
    MaryK likes this.
  5. MaryK Honored Member

Wow that will be some day:D Great as I am sure there's a better way to teach a dog to count.

Have fun tomorrow - I know you will:LOL:
    Tâmara Vaz likes this.
  6. Dlilly Honored Member

I will ask Delilah 'What's 1+1?' and she will bark twice. How I taught that was I would ask her then do the hand signal for 2 barks. I repeated and repeated until she barked twice with no hand signal and just the question. You can probably do the same with a hand signal too.
  7. huntyr Well-Known Member

but I dont want to teach him to bark. For being a jack russell he rarely barks and I want to keep it that way LOL
    I will teach him to tap his paw..... (hopefully)
    Tâmara Vaz and MaryK like this.
  8. Linda A Experienced Member

I this what you are talking about?

Dogster, MaryK and k9 crazed like this.
  9. huntyr Well-Known Member

yup exactly what I am wanting to do....

but HOW?????
    MaryK, k9 crazed and Linda A like this.
  10. Linda A Experienced Member

Good question! And you never see her give the dog any kind of cue. LOL! There is also a video of them on "Regis & Kathy."
    MaryK and k9 crazed like this.
  11. MaryK Honored Member

Yes HOW??????????????????? I watched very carefully and she never gave the dog a visible clue, not that I could see anyway! Just proves dogs are VERY smart and we at times under estimate them!
    Linda A likes this.
  12. Gracie bentch Member

Actually me too I'm trying to learn as well but I suggest that we all try what we think might Work and then post what worked!
    MaryK and Linda A like this.
  13. MissyBC Experienced Member

For the first equation... she gave the dog some help by putting 4 fingers up... then later on in the video when one of the ladies asked the dog, "what's 8 - 2?" the owner showed the dog 5 fingers to help her out. :)
    MaryK likes this.
  14. Gracie bentch Member

Well I'll try to teach my dog how to count she will be a mathmatition
    MaryK likes this.
  15. MissyBC Experienced Member

I have an idea. I'll try it with my Missy and see how it goes. If it works out, I'll post a video and list the steps in teaching this behavior. :)
    k9 crazed and MaryK like this.
  16. 2SpoiledAussies Well-Known Member

This normally isn't taught a signal for 1, then 2, then 3 ect. It is taught with a signal to start barking then a signal to quit barking. Zak George's signal for this is moving the frisbees to his other hand. It seems very subtle, especially it being after the dog has gotten to the count. Kyra Sundance uses a very subtle cue with her eyes. It would take a lot of work to make it this subtle, but is very possible. I would teach this trick, but haven't taught my dogs to bark yet, and it would be more obvious then a paw.
    Dogster and MaryK like this.
  17. Linda A Experienced Member

I think the dog had started counting and she was just telling it to wait. Unfortunately, for most of the video you don't even see the owner.
    MaryK likes this.
  18. Linda A Experienced Member

Great idea!!
    MaryK likes this.
  19. MaryK Honored Member

Had another look and yes, saw what you've just explained, very subtly done, still very clever of the dog.:) Thank you for spotting that.
  20. MissyBC Experienced Member

You're welcome!
    MaryK likes this.