Possible Puppy.

jordyquint

Experienced Member
Bekah, I hope so and I'm planning on it... unless my BC doesn't like a certain activity, we won't do it.

Dogcrazy, haha thanks! That's the exact same problem I have with Rucker. Well, I guess I shouldn't say problem, he just can't handle longer runs and walks like I'm looking forward too!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
<----has a medium to high energy border collie who loathes frisbee,:ROFLMAO:
and can't run very very far. All dogs ARE unique individuals, ha ha.

Repeated, shorter runs at full speed, yes! He can zoom around, OFF/ON, OFF/ON, for a long time, but, he takes breaks every 10 or 15 minutes.:rolleyes:
Nonstop long distance, nope, not even at a trot speed. Not my border collie anyway!:ROFLMAO: surely other BCs can run long distances without wanting a break, though. For distance runners, a sighthound might be great dog to consider, as well.

Jordy, keep us posted on your success convincing your dad to let you have the puppy NOW. GOOD LUCK, JORDY!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Jordy, i just thought of one more point to throw at your dad.
If you were to move into some apt, with infant baby dog,
there is greater chance of some type of damage to apt, which could make getting your deposit back harder to do.

but, if you move into apt with 8 mos old puppy, seems like way less chance the dog would chew up a corner of carpet of pee onto the drywall, so better chance of getting deposit back from your apt.
Less chance of your new neighbors complaining about a puppy crying all night, too.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
one more thought, Jordy, might not be helpful, but, sometimes, when i am trying to get my guy to change his mind on something, every once in a blue moon, if it is applicable,
sometimes, i enlist one of his pals to help me wear Craig down!!:ROFLMAO: if it is an area or decision where one of his pals might know about or be able to help back me up.

so if you have an uncle, aunt, etc, that maybe you can enlist to help your dad see it your way, might be worth considering enlisting an ally, who knows. (make SURE the 3rd person is truly seeing it the way YOU see it, though!! :ROFLMAO: )

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
In my experience, and I am now 29 years old, I have grown up having puppies and adult dogs around - through growing up I was 'lucky' (by saying this I mean I had a dad who worked on farms and had the means, ground and sources to have dogs) because I grew up having parents who worked with dogs, BC's, that were mostly working, herding dogs but had ones that were 'pet dogs' too. These pet dogs, because they were BC's had to work in a different way as this is what BC's need. They have to work - whether that be an outside living, herding dog or a dog that lives in but does agility, flyball, heelwork to music, herding trials, the list goes on. They need to work - they need more training and time than a non-working breed, and I cannot underestimate the time that takes to make a happy, contented BC. That is why there are so many BC's in rescue centres :cry:. They are high energy to the extreme. They need to work, meaning be fulfilled to the extent their massive intelligence, agility and fitness needs. I am not trying to put you off having a BC puppy but you need to know the extent of time and effort they take. In saying that I have successfully trained many, both 'proper working' sheepdogs and 'pet' sheepdogs and was at home doing this, but my biggest challenge (and by that I mean positive challenge) has been Ripley. As an eighteen month old rescue with absolutely no training and a lot of destructive issues (not born with these, they happened due to what she had been through because the owners she previously had could not cope with her as a puppy and adolescent dog, so dumped her, eventually in a rescue centre when she had become to uncontrolled/destructive) she called on different challenges, training wise than I had had training puppies. Puppies take an incredible amount of time and patience to train right but so do adults dogs that have special needs through what they have been through in earlier life and then dumped in a rescue centre. Now I am where I am in life I would choose to rescue everytime! Whether that be adult dog or puppy, I would love to train from the puppy stage again but some of those, slightly older dogs, need a good positive owner more and I think I would be tempted to go with that. You can still have the amount of training and sheer work that goes into a puppy with a slightly older rescue dog and have the immense pride when you have given a needing dog an incredibly good home and brought out the amazing dog they should always have been, given the right training to begin with.

Dogster

Honored Member
<---------- Is a VERY, and I mean VERY low-energy dog.:ROFLMAO: She's only active at the dog park. Not kidding. Not on walks, not during trick sessions. Nope. Agility because she has to.:ROFLMAO: Guess what she's doing right now.:sleep: I guess that's why I spend so much time on DTA, LOL:LOL:

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
BC's are an amazing breed and I have a huge space in my heart for them and would have another one without a breath of unsureness - given that I knew I had the time and means to have one that I new I could make happy - by exercise, work (inc. mental) and love. But if you take on a BC pup without knowing that you can promise them that for years ahead then it may, and I only say may, not be the right time for you to choose a BC pup. If you might go off to college and might be moving into an apartment in a year or so then it might not be time for you to take on a BC commitment but if you know that you can offer a BC pup all that it needs for years and years to come then they are an incredible breed (in my personal opinion the best) to own, as long as you can offer it what it has to have. Not just now but for easily up 16 years plus.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
<---------- Is a VERY, and I mean VERY low-energy dog.:ROFLMAO: She's only active at the dog park. Not kidding. Not on walks, not during trick sessions. Nope. Agility because she has to.:ROFLMAO: Guess what she's doing right now.:sleep: I guess that's why I spend so much time on DTA, LOL:LOL:
Every dog is individual - Shivon is obviously a happy dog and gets what she needs - low energy is not a bad thing - BC's can come across as low energy at times because they are getting the mental and physical stimulus that they need when they are 'working' and so seem lower energy because their needs are met, even though the breed as a whole are not low energy - it all depends on what you give the dog to accomplish. As tigerlily says a tired dog is a happy dog! But if all that is not met, in any dog, not just a BC, that is when a dog becomes unsettled and then destructive or hyper etc.

Dogster

Honored Member
I'm glad Shivon's low-energy. Sometimes she doesn't even want to go for a walk, lol:ROFLMAO: I have to force her!!!!!:ROFLMAO: She has her hyper moments, but right after them she gets tired and goes to sleep.:ROFLMAO: Ohhh, Shivon is something, eh???;)

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I'm glad Shivon's low-energy. Sometimes she doesn't even want to go for a walk, lol:ROFLMAO: I have to force her!!!!!:ROFLMAO: She has her hyper moments, but right after them she gets tired and goes to sleep.:ROFLMAO: Ohhh, Shivon is something, eh???;)
Well, she is gorgeous and obviously happy and that is what counts being the owner of a dog - our job is to content them, love them and make them exercised and happy!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i am kind of lucky, all my family takes "shifts" with Buddy.:ROFLMAO:
I'm not entirely certain i could keep Buddy busy enough, just me alone, come to think of it...

and Buddy knows just egggzactly who will keep him busy at which part of day.
Buddy rotates his time from one family member to the next,
in sequence,
each day..... like "shifts".:ROFLMAO:
(i'm late afternoons and evenings, usually, and will have to log off to go train him soon as his 'daddy' brings Buddy home again!!).

bekah1001

Honored Member
Brody and Riley are pretty relaxed but can have their hyper moments. Which is mostly when we wake up in the morning (sometimes they are lazy and sleep in), when I get home from school, and when I mention/are about to go for a walk. Other than that they are pretty calm.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Buddy is a late nighter, and sleeps in late, too.
He does NOT like mornings,:sleep: WE have to wake HIM up in mornings, he'd prefer to sleep in til about 10 am...:eek:
I keep track how many hours since he last went out, and so i make HIM get up to go out, but, it's never HIS idea!! then he goes back to bed :ROFLMAO: til 10 am. rofl. If we are very active and interesting, he will lift up his head to see what is up, and then goes back to sleep!! Does not get up til 9 or 10 am usually...
If we are REALLY interesting in early mornings, maybe running around in the yard making much noise, or something, Buddy will actually get out of his bed, and come over to see it all, but then Buddy falls right back to sleep next to whatever it is we are doing....:ROFLMAO: Buddy tries to watch it all, but he falls right back to sleep...

Maybe Buddy is a teenager----wants to sleep in late, stay up late!!:ROFLMAO:

yeah, my dog loves to sleep in late.
but, he stays up late, too, very very lively and playful and up for anything at all,
til about 10pm or even later, if we will go along with it. (Buddy much prefers an audience or partner to do his lil shows:rolleyes: ).

well, if we run around him ENOUGH, and if he doesn't get any naps, maybe he will settle down nicely at about 9pm...maybe.