Pancreatic Insufficiency And Vitamin B12 Deficiency In A Dog

MaryK

Honored Member
Holy smokes, 3 obstructions in the past 4 months?? :eek: I'd think that would be the first thing the vet would have looked for, then (it sure would have been the first thing on my radar!). What is causing so many obstructions?

So glad she's getting an xray today. Keep us posted.
I agree Jackie Holy Smokes!!!!!!! I've never heard of a dog getting so many obstructions, especially in such a short time.:eek: Glad too she's being xrayed today.

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm right with Jackie. A dog who has had so many blockages, in such a short time, really needs to have this looked in and FAST!!!!!!!!!!! It isn't normal at all. Most blockages result for a dog eating something indigestible (like a rubber duck my vet told one of his patience had eaten) and once the blockage is cleared, that's the end of the problem. With Prissy, there's something else happening. Jackie is right, she will stop eating because of the association with pain. To just send you home and tell you you're not feeding her isn't good enough. Prissy and you should not be going through all this, it's not right! I know Prissy is fussy with her vets, but you may have to be 'tough' and find yet another vet who will really take this problem seriously and check out everything. As Jackie said, maybe someone here knows a super vet who's in your area.

I am so worried about Prissy, poor baby, I keep hoping to read some good news about her and am a little happier she's eaten something. Keep all her food very soft, make sure she stays hydrated too.

If her stools are hard and paining her, that's something your vet should look at immediately too!

Keep us posted, I know everyone is so worried about your little girl.

kimw30

Another blockage - so sorry to hear this. This is so disconcerting. What is causing them tho?? Something is - and that's what the vet needs to determine -- not just send you home and tell you to feed her. Something is very wrong in her GI tract. Where are you? Maybe someone knows of a fabulous vet who could help. Prissy can't live her life like this - nor can you. Prissy is going to get to where she won't want to eat because she'll associate eating with pain - so she'll just avoid food. There is a reason these blockages are occurring - it's not normal. Ask for some answers, and if your vet doesn't know, ask him who can help you find out. Ask if it's possible she could have a tumor, or some kind of obstruction which is causing this. Just throwing things out here - but this has me so concerned.
Thanks so much, I live in vidalia,ga. I carried her to one vet that told me that she could help Prissy by doing acupuncture treatments on her so I let her and Prissy got worse instead of better. I wish someone would know someone that could help my baby. Someone told me about the school in auburn that is real good, but have to have a referral.

kimw30

How do you get a vet to do something, the vet says he hates to go in and do surgery but something has to be done, the place where he drained and glued it monday has busted opened and it is red and draining pus and bleeding and she wants me to just hold her now, she will not lay down. I guess I will be holding her all night. I am disgusted cause I cant get him to do something, he just keeps putting it off and like the time before he drained it monday, he said that if it flaired back up again he was going to do surgery and then when I took her monday he said he would drain it again and wait on the surgery. But the draining isnt helping, I just dont know what to do.

Dogster

Honored Member
Go to another vet!!!! Is there an emergency clinic anywhere close to you? I'm sure they could help you there. I'm worried that your vet may not be as focused if he doesn't feel like doing the surgery, I don't want anything to happen to Prissy.

I am so saddened by this, Prissy's condition really puzzles me, I wish I could help you and tell you what's wrong with Prissy, I wish I could....But I'm nowhere near a professional...:(

kimw30

Go to another vet!!!! Is there an emergency clinic anywhere close to you? I'm sure they could help you there. I'm worried that your vet may not be as focused if he doesn't feel like doing the surgery, I don't want anything to happen to Prissy.

I am so saddened by this, Prissy's condition really puzzles me, I wish I could help you and tell you what's wrong with Prissy, I wish I could....But I'm nowhere near a professional...:(
Thanks so much, There isnt any emergency clinics near, I called the vets after hours number but he hasnt called back. Are there any websites that you can review vets and find a good one, I was just wondering.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
You've GOT to get that dog to a different vet. Have you googled "veterinarians in Vidalia, Ga?" Try that. As for the teaching hospital in Auburn that needs a referral, have you called? If not, call and plead your case - cry if you have to (if that were my dog, it wouldn't take much for me to break down and cry on the phone, pleading for them to see her). Be desperate - cuz I think you are. Your dog's life may well depend on it.

Is there an emergency clinic near you? Perhaps they can refer you to a different vet, just an idea. What's the next largest city near you? Perhaps you can find a vet in a Savannah? Or Atlanta? (Sorry, my Ga geography isn't the best, I'm in Ca). It may be a very long drive, but it may well be worth it to spend a day. If you do find a vet that you think you may see, try to have a good phone conversation before making the trip, explain everything that's gone on, your frustration (and desperation), the lack of progress, etc and see if they think they can help you. Any good vet shoud be willing to spend a bit of time speaking with you on the phone before seeing you if you explain you'd be making a 3-4 hour trip - but be willling to pay for their phone time (they may or may not charge you). And, if you do end up going someplace, get a copy of Prissy's med records to take with you - it will save lots of questions and hassle if you can just hand them the stack of records (and with all her visits, I'm sure she has quite a stack). I just know if it were my dog, I'd be moving on to someplace else, and not stopping until I saw my dog turning around, and acting like she used to, wanting to eat, and enjoying her life. A dog with a constant blockage is not normal. A vet who doesn't seem to know what causes it, but doesn't seem to care to find out, either, troubles me.

MaryK

Honored Member
PLEASE, take Prissy to another vet NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! As Jackie has said, her life depends on it. I'd be pleading, crying (already be in tears) anything to get the Auburn hospital to see her. This is URGENT!!!!!!!!!! Prissy is, as you know, a very sick dog and needs a vet who will do anything necessary to get her better. A vet who is afraid of surgery, which is so needed, and just says to take her home, take her food away because she's not eating and many other things you've posted isn't worthy of being in practice.

I just googled and came up with this site http://www.angieslist.com/companylist/us/ga/vidalia/veterinarians.htm

I live in another country, other wise I could help you better, so I hope this site will help.

A dog with constant blockages isn't normal and now she's bleeding, crying oh PLEASE get her to another vet! And yes, if you have to drive miles do it, her life depends on you finding a good vet now!

I really feel for you and wish I could help more

Do all Jackie has said, she's given fantastic advice.

I am so worried about Prissy, I think of her all the time. Like Dogster I wish I knew what was wrong, but I'm not a professional either, and even googling hasn't given me anything which may help to pass on to you.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Saying a prayer she comes through surgery with ease and is now starting back on the road to recovery. Do keep us posted please
:D

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I'm so glad to hear someone was finally able to do something for your sweet pooch!! I hope she came through the surgery okay.

kimw30

Thanks so much everyone, the vet said that Prissy had strangulation of her bowels, gangrene was setting it, and they were twisted , that is why she was getting obstructions so much, he took some biopsies he said they were places in her stomach that didnt look good, he hoping it is inflammatory bowel disease and not cancer. She has staph infection, the vet thinks the other vet used something dirty when he did her spaying. Hoping and praying it isnt cancer.

Dogster

Honored Member
I'm praying with you. I really hope the problem can be solved, I hope, I really hope it's not cancer.
Please keep us posted.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Oh my, I'm so very sorry to hear all this ... BUT ... at least now you know something, and can move forward. I feel so sad that Prissy had to endure all that, for all that time - while that vet obviously had no clue. When you have a chance, please tell us what happened. So - you found a different vet? And that vet jumped on her case and moved on it immediately, obviously recognizing how critical she was. Please let us know how she's doing, we're all so worried about her!! You take care of yourself - and get a good night's sleep tonight. My bet is it's the first one you've been able to get in quite a while. It sounds like Prissy may be spending the night at the vet's hospital tonight - where you know she's in good care and good hands. You take care of yourself - Prissy is going to need you to take care of her once she's home with you and finally feeling better. We'll all pulling for her. Keep us posted!

MaryK

Honored Member
I could hardly believe what has happened to poor little Prissy. I am so very sorry to hear all this BUT as Jackie says at least you know something and can move forward. And Prissy is one tough little cookie to endure all that, strangulation of the bowel in itself has caused the death of bigger dogs than Prissy, plus gangrene as well yeah Gods!!!!!!! But as I've said, she's a tough little lady and I personally think YOUR love has helped her survive this terrible ordeal. Please do as Jackie says, get some rest yourself, as Prissy's going to need you, strong, healthy and fit, to nurse her and give her all the love possible.

Praying it isn't cancer. Stay positive!

When you have time, please keep us updated and thank you for the update. I know everyone has been so worried about darling Prissy:love: