Pancreatic Insufficiency And Vitamin B12 Deficiency In A Dog

kimw30

Hey I have a rat terrier dog who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and the vet said thursday he thought she had pancreatic insufficiency and vitamin B12 deficiency so he ran the test and he called me and said the tests came back positive that she did have it. She already had the vitamin B12 shot thursday and she has to have one every week and I also have to sprinkle this pancreas enzyme powder in her food. Anyone know much about this disease, I read a website that said it mostly happens in bigger breed dogs, the vet said this is why she isnt gaining weight. I hope since he found out what is wrong with her she will start getting better.

Dogster

Honored Member
Does she need a shot, or could she just take a supplement? I know there is a vitamin B12 supplement for people, but I'm not sure if there is one for dogs. You can try to find one online, or ask your vet if there is such a supplement. I don't know much about it, but it seems like you've got it covered. I hope that Prissy gets better soon, you and Prissy are in my prayers. Keep us posted on progress, I would like to hear about Prissy's progress, especially with eating.:)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Don't know if you read the link I posted in your other thread about UTI, but it's got some good info, and here's one more link: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/08/17/low-fat-diet-for-dogs.aspx There's lots of good info on the site, just put in "pancreatic insufficiency" and you'll get some links to read. So sorry about Prissy, but at least you now know what's up, so you can head in the right direction. Both links speak of diet, so you may want to take a look at what she's eating - it may not be the right food for her, now. A home prepared diet may be the way you need to go for a while, at least til you get weight on her.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Was thinking some more about Prissy, and can't remember if it was mentioned in the link article - you may want to start her on probiotics (NOT PREbiotics), also - or at least ask/mention this to your vet, see if it would be a good idea.

MaryK

Honored Member
Dogster with the B12 Shots they go directly into her blood stream and are more effective than the tablets. As she has problems with eating etc. the medication would be harder for her body to assimilate. This is also true to humans.

My late Mom had to have the shots rather than the tablets, after the car accident.

MaryK

Honored Member
I am so glad that you've finally found out what's wrong with Prissy. I'll also keep you both in my prayers.

Now you will be able to work to getting her back to full health.

Dogster

Honored Member
Dogster with the B12 Shots they go directly into her blood stream and are more effective than the tablets. As she has problems with eating etc. the medication would be harder for her body to assimilate. This is also true to humans.

My late Mom had to have the shots rather than the tablets, after the car accident.
Thanks for the info!!:)

kimw30

I'm hoping this link helps you: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1627 - It's all about Pancreatic Insufficiency. It sounds quite helpful.

My vet recommended the site to me. :)

I hope Prissy feels better and gets back to her old self soon.

All the best to you and Prissy!
Thanks so much for the information, I will be glad when she is back to her old self, She still isnt eating good, she will act like she is real hungary, she will lick her lips and she will take a bite of her food and then gags. I tried to take her for a walk this morning and she walked not very far and started panting and hassling like she was so tired and short of breath and then she just stopped and I couldnt get her to walk anymore. I still do not think the vet is getting down to all her problems, because alot of places I was reading about pancreatic insufficiency they say they eat alot but just doesnt gain weight, but she doesnt eat. but maybe she isnt eat because she has Vitamin B12 deficiency too and she also has inflammatory bowel too, that is what the vet said.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thanks so much for the information, I will be glad when she is back to her old self, She still isnt eating good, she will act like she is real hungary, she will lick her lips and she will take a bite of her food and then gags. I tried to take her for a walk this morning and she walked not very far and started panting and hassling like she was so tired and short of breath and then she just stopped and I couldnt get her to walk anymore. I still do not think the vet is getting down to all her problems, because alot of places I was reading about pancreatic insufficiency they say they eat alot but just doesnt gain weight, but she doesnt eat. but maybe she isnt eat because she has Vitamin B12 deficiency too and she also has inflammatory bowel too, that is what the vet said.
Talk to your vet about this let him know your concerns and tell him what's going on with Prissy. I'm sure he'll be glad to help.

kimw30

Talk to your vet about this let him know your concerns and tell him what's going on with Prissy. I'm sure he'll be glad to help.
Thanks so much, I will call him in the morning. Yea he has been real good about listening to my concerns and he has helped me, when I didnt have money to have her seen , he still would see her and check her out and then he wouldnt charge me, so he has been real good. I just get worried about her, maybe it really isnt anything to get worried about. I hope she will be alright.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thanks so much, I will call him in the morning. Yea he has been real good about listening to my concerns and he has helped me, when I didnt have money to have her seen , he still would see her and check her out and then he wouldnt charge me, so he has been real good. I just get worried about her, maybe it really isnt anything to get worried about. I hope she will be alright.
He sounds like a wonderful vet. It's nice to hear about a vet who cares more about animals than money. I really hope that you find out what's wrong with Prissy. What food are you currently feeding her?

kimw30

He sounds like a wonderful vet. It's nice to hear about a vet who cares more about animals than money. I really hope that you find out what's wrong with Prissy. What food are you currently feeding her?
Yes he is very nice and very considerate, Prissy really likes him and his staff are very nice to her and when she has to stay overnight for fluids the techs will spend time with her when they arent busy. I am currently feeding her 4health, a worker at the pet store said that was a good food and the vet said he heard people said there dog did good on that food.

kimw30

MaryK

Honored Member
See your vet again!!!!!!!! There must be something else wrong with Prissy.

With the Vitamin B12 shots, they are given to actually improve appetite and help the dog to digest their food properly, so they wouldn't be causing the problem.

Does she have any dental problems? Teeth decay can cause so many problems, not the least being inability to eat.