Oh, Petfinder...

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Damn my addiction to Petfinder. Why? Why do I even go? Just to "look"? I KNOW every time that I will just find some dog that steals my heart, and I will just want to rush off to get him/her. WHY??? Why do I do this to myself? I just don't understand it. Lol.

But then again.....LOOK AT THAT FACE!!! Such a cutie. :love:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19160511

And pretty much all of my reservations about getting another dog just flew right out the window. What's one more? xD He's 12 weeks old and about 3 hours away. They say he's a BC/ACD mix(another Zekers!).

And here are my excuses that make wanting him "okay":

• He's a male--I need another male, because I think this would be the best option for Mud and Z.
  • He's a puppy, so he can learn at an early age that Mud is the queen of the house, and Zekers is sensitive. (Of course, when he reaches a certain age he will test his limits, but at least he will have a little more background with Mud and Z.)
  • Z can teach him how to be a wonderful pup. (Because Z is VERY good with puppies, such a perfect surrogate mum. He doesn't let them get by with too much, but he loves to play with them.) Mud on the other hand will have to learn to be a bit more tolerant, as she has very little patience with pups.
  • I have been wanting a puppy for sooo sooo long. The last time I had a pup was 5 years ago when Zekers was a puppy. Mud was an adult when I got her.
  • He's just so gosh darn cute, who could say no?? :p

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
THAR SHE GOES!!!
(again!! rolf!!)

OH, TX, YOU ALWAYS GET IT BAaaaad....i predict, once you are done with school, etc etc, you will probably have one of those "packs" that is like, 50 dogs!!! That IS one sweet looking dog, i gotta agree.

I guess, since Buddy is happiest as "only" dog at this point, and i feel *i* should not take on extra dog til i have Buddy's issues under better, more reliable control, i should not add in any 2nd dog yet...is good chance Buddy could corrupt the new dog, for one thing---the idea of TWO dogs breeching on the leash, is more than i can manage.

Even if Buddy loved new dog, that does not stop his attitude of dog agression towards other dogs. Many dog-aggressive dogs have mates they adore....still, they 'hate' all other dogs.

but, i TOTALLY understand the "dog-craves".....mmmHmm, yes i do, Tx, i so hear you!!!

now, i will practice "uploading a file"....to practice adding a photo......

Attachments

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i did it!! i did it!!!

now i will "copy and paste" same photo...

wow, photo comes out way bigger if i "paste" it....SORRY FOR THREAD DEREAIL, tx, really, i am helping you----> i am "distracting" you from adopting new dog while you are still in school full time, and working full time, etc etc.

it only APPEARS i am just practicing adding photos, but, think of it as DISTRACTION THERAY, Tx!! rofl!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Hey Tx, remember THIS dog???
now i am going to try to add the photo RIGHT HERE---> <------ instead of as a link at bottom of reply.

ah nevermind, i can't locate it, i still had a photo downloaded of Rio, but, i can't find it by now...

EDIT: NOPE, using "Upload a file" to post photo-----I CAN NOT CHOOSE A an exact PLACE amongst the text to set the photo,

only i can post a link it at the bottom of the post...

Attachments

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Also, Tx, since you do have a shy dog, wouldn't an adult dog, with an KNOWN, easily visible, personality type be a wiser choice for your pack???

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Tigerlily said:
Also, Tx, since you do have a shy dog, wouldn't an adult dog, with an KNOWN, easily visible, personality type be a wiser choice for your pack???​
I think either way would be good for my pack. At home, Zekers is a completely different dog. Now, after many years of work, he is actually very friendly with puppies, and fairly friendly with new adult dogs. Z loves puppies, so I don't anticipate he would have any issues at all with a pup. With an adult dog, it would just depend on the personality of the dog, which is why I've been incredibly picky in looking for adult dogs. I happened upon this little guy entirely by accident. Mud is not a fan of puppies, but as with any new dog, she just needs time to adjust and learn to tolerate the new dog. If I were to get a pup, socializing in public would be largely either with the puppy alone or with puppy and Mud so he has a big sister to give him a good example. But either way, with another dog as an example or not, whatever a puppy's personality is is what it's going to be. This pup is 12 weeks old, so the "socialization period" is just about over, but he is still young and does still need socialization and positive experiences.

Nonetheless, I'm not allowing myself to go gaga over this incredibly adorable sweet gorgeous little puppy(LOL), I'm just toying with the idea. xDD I CAN, at this point in my schooling and work, handle another dog. I did consider that before spending much time looking at this little pup. But like I said, I'm not determined to rush out and get him, just toying with the idea. I don't want to get my hopes up and have something not work out, like it has sooo many other times(as you know, Tigerlily). Just going to play things by ear. I did email the shelter with a few questions.

Who knows. We'll see.

Ina said:
Get him before it's too late !​
Lol, you are terrible for the Petfinder Addicts Support Group! :D Thanks for the shove. I emailed the shelter, and whoever answered forwarded it to the adoption coordinator. Waiting on her to reply with some answers to some very important questions before I make a decision, and then make plans to travel there.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH, i wasn't really worried about Zeke getting on with the pup, nope, not what i meant. I've heard you say in the past, in previous rounds of "I WANT THIS DOG!!" (hee hee) that you wanted just the right personality, not one that would increase Z's tendency for shyness. Now, i can't recall what exactly type of personality you wanted beside Zekers, but you used to be very specific about some type of personality would help Zeke stay out of his shy zone the best...

ha, of course no one worries about Mud, or what effect any dog would have on happy go lucky Mudflap,
and if the pup is opposite gender, it increases the chances Mud will not hate it throughout it's entire puppyhood, ha ha!
PLus, shyness does show up very very early in a dog's life, like, in the litter box, so you'd know if the new puppy was shy right off upon meeting him.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Yes, I am still very very picky about a potential new addition's temperament. For Mud and Z, I need a dog who is middle of the road or submissive. This is one of the questions pending an answer from the shelter. :) Some dogs are simply dominant, like Mud. They let other dogs know, without being overly aggressive, that they are top dogs. Some dogs, are dominant but also like to bully. Z has only been completely without an fear aggressive reactions for a couple years or so. If I were to get a dog who liked to bully, Z could regress--not to mention Mud would certainly have issues with this type of dog. No one tries to take her throne! ;)

I have a set of questions I ask about every dog I look into, so each potential new dog has to meet certain criteria. Don't want to cause a disturbance. :) We have a happy, balanced home right now, so it's my responsibility to make sure new dog isn't going to disrupt that long-term. Of course any time a new dog is brought in, there will be stress on everyone until everyone figures out their place.

sara

Staff member
I think it's your turn Tx! LOL darn it, you just HAD to bring up Petfinder again... now I need to talk myself outta going on petfinder to see if I can find any deaf dogs :( YOU SUCK!!!

Ina

Tx, you are totally right with being cautious. Adding another member to the family is not like buying a new TV. It takes a lot of research to find a suitable pup. Sometimes fate just plays something in your lap and then you should be ready.

Look at us. Firstly hubby and me had decided NO MORE DOGS. We had so many dogs before we had children and knew that they are just like having another child.
Secondly we wanted to be able to travel around a bit. Hard enough with 3 kids - even harder when you have a pet to look after on top of that.
Thirdly we were broke at the time. Just after Xmas with overseas visitors staying for 4 months and hubby being a contractor who had no income for 2 months whilst everyone was on holiday.
And finally I normally never get a dog from a pet store. I support the local shelters since there are so many dogs that need rescuing.
But fate decided differently... and I listened to the whispers in my head :D
For 12 years I had been depressed. Had to take medication and wasn't myself any more. What I didn't realise was that for 12 years I was without a dog for the first time in my life.
I am a changed person since I brought this pup home. It is truly a story of a dog rescuing a person. No more depression and I am my happy self again!

Looking at pictures of Mudflap and Zeke this little fellow would fit right in with your family. Good luck with the response that you get to your questions. Holding thumbs in downunder that fate showed the right puppy on petfinder at the right time :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Sara-- LOL. Since you mentioned it...the same shelter this pup is in has a deaf JRT, super cute! Soon as I saw it I thought of you, lol. ^^

Ina--pets definitely make your life more whole!!! Lol, still no response from the adoption coordinator, but I (UNINTENTIONALLY) already have a name for him. I really wasn't trying to come up with one; it just happened.
When I worked at Petsmart, it was a running joke that I had a dog named Mudflap(already named when I adopted her), and that my next dog would surely be "Truck Hitch." I always just laughed it off, thinking how silly it would be to name a dog Truck Hitch. Well, "Kyle" as they call him was picked up as a stray...he "HITCHED" a ride to the shelter.

Lol, so if I were to get this pup...he would probably be Hitch. Not TRUCK Hitch, just Hitch, lol. :p

Patiently waiting for shelter's response. Not getting my hopes up, as I've done that before and shelter workers have not returned phone calls or emails until after my potential new dog was already adopted. So just waiting, but not sitting by the computer checking every five minutes, lol.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
oh my, Tx, you've got it Baaaaaaaaaaad....already named this one and everything....
(i am smiling and shaking my head..)

//"....but not sitting by the computer checking every five minutes, lol. "//
liar liar pants on fire!!!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
LOL, no really, I'm not. ^^ I AM checking about once a day, simply because he is not at the type of shelter where he may be there tomorrow, or the next day. I don't want to get an email and miss out on him because I didn't check, or worse, find out he's hit his limit on days at the shelter and have that on my shoulders. Off to find out what kind of "Humane Society" this is...sometimes humane societies are no-kill, and sometimes they aren't. Confusing if you ask me.

Once again, I really wasn't trying to name him, it just popped into my head and it just worked. ^^ Even if it's not him, I think it'd be a cute name for any shelter dog.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
And in my defense.....

Look at that face! :D :love:

And to feed your curiosity, Sara...
This is Apollo.

I know, I'm a terrible, awful person for taking you down with me. >< I'm an awful asset to the support group. Lynch me if you must. :giggle:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
sweeeeeeeeet.....

look at the gorgeous dog not far from my town...

somebody remind me about why i really should have Buddy be an only dog for a while longer..??
dang you Tx!! (shakes fist at Tx)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
and THIS dog has been on Petfinder for years now....just years, must be dog-aggressive i am guessing...i think she is from same puppy mill Buddy is from, we got a LOT of those dogs up this way.....but no one ever came for Bridget there...

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15085176
but, last thing i need is TWO dog=aggressive dogs...plus, it says straight up, she is best as "only" dog....as is my lil BuddyBudman...

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol, and just like that I single-handedly shoved the members of the Petfinder Support Group back to level one. I should be ashamed of myself. :oops:

Gorgeous dog in the first picture. Sweet Bridget, poor girl. Color isn't a deciding factor for me, but I do love reds. ^^ So pretty.

Alright Tigerlily, let me see if I can redeem myself and help you...

Ummm...
Buddy may or may not eat the new dog.
He's making SO MUCH progress, and a new dog would eat a lot of the time you have to devote to his progress.
If he did want to eat the new dog, he might regress several steps, giving you more work.

But, as long as you just look at the roses and don't smell them, maybe you'll be alright. :)