Me And My Pup Asher

JoAnne

A couple I know at our park bought a clicker to teach their two (boxer) pups,for the recall they kept clicking and clicking . . . . obviously not the right way to do it:confused: and thats why I kinda stopped our clicker training for a while,I did not want to be the one telling them that thats the wrong way to do it,,I really like them and didnt want to step on their toes as it worked for them for a little while . . . .(Dodge came back to the sound of the clicker,but it did not last,) I ve now started the proper recall training again with the clicker as Dodge likes to "do a runner" now and then,and they have not used theirs for ages :)
They have seen how much the right click at the right time means and what difference it makes,whithout trying to sound like a moreon "I told you so!"

Funny thing is,lol,I call Dodge and I ve got their babe's back quicker then my own O_o lol

Pei Pei

Pet Pei,
why oh why would you not want to use fresh ingredients if you make homemade dog treats?
Chicken liver is only about $2 for a tub of it.
dogs are meant to eat MEAT. I do understand why you would not use meat....?
I have been using fresh meat in other recipes but I was making liver treats from a recipe that called for the dried liver training treats and wanted to use it up. I have made some with beef liver but never thought to boil it. I do not eat meat and I have an especially hard time with handling beef or smelling it cooking or anything slimy like chicken too. I will be making these as I can boil them and do not have to look at them or smell them too much. And then I can put them in a food processor and not have to handle too much. I know -- us veggies can be strange about things like this that would never even occur to a non vegetarian

Sandy

Pei Pei

JOanna, HERE is that video, i tend to use real meat, cut up small,
or hotdogs,
or those cookie treats i bake.
and occasionally cheese.

BUT, i had never thought of bringing more than one kind on a session, never crossed my mind.

http://youtu.be/YJY8Hee7ewc
I like using different treats. I think it keeps them interested and wondering: what it coming next, or that is just what I think they might be thinking:D
Pei Pei

Pei Pei

Funny thing is,lol,I call Dodge and I ve got their babe's back quicker then my own O_o lol

Hahaha:LOL: That's funny.
Pei pei

Pei Pei

I think the rescue vs purebred debate can go on forever and I'm glad to see that JoAnne and Tiger Lily Might be agreeing to disagree. I have done both and these two boys are one of each. Cole is by far the sweetest rescue, well maybe that's because he is the one I have right now! :rolleyes: The Peis have an especially difficult time with inherited issues and I have spoken to what I think are many responsible breeders who simply do not have any Shar Pei fever in their lines. I have had a few with the fever and then subsequent kidney failure and that is one reason why I chose the fella I have now, Cubbie. NO FEVER or kidney disease in his lines. He is over a year and has had no episodes, so he is probably in the clear. Cole has never had the fever either. Well I guess I am way off the tract of this thread:LOL: but thought I'd put in my two cents for the rescue vs purebred debate. It is a tough one and ppl can be kinda crazy on both ends. I know some ppl who stopped talking to me when I decided on Cubbie because he wasn't a rescue like most of the ones I've had in the past. It is sorta like the ppl who won't talk to those of us who have a foreign car, but that is another whole story!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sandy
Pei pei

Pei Pei

WEll I made the recipe with veggies and liver, but just threw stuff together since i haven't had a chance to get fresh liver today and used dry liver, cheese, eggs, veggies and oats. I would say it turned out like doggie granola and it is crunchy and chewy. Don't think it will be good for training since it takes them a little to long to eat but it will make a great topper for their dry dog food! Will try with fresh liver maybe still this weekend. :)

Do you chop up the oats too? They were too big for me and making them a training treat.

JoAnne

WEll I made the recipe with veggies and liver, but just threw stuff together since i haven't had a chance to get fresh liver today and used dry liver, cheese, eggs, veggies and oats. I would say it turned out like doggie granola and it is crunchy and chewy. Don't think it will be good for training since it takes them a little to long to eat but it will make a great topper for their dry dog food! Will try with fresh liver maybe still this weekend. :)

Do you chop up the oats too? They were too big for me and making them a training treat.

JoAnne

YUM! Now I know what to bring to the Mother's Day party this Sunday, and I was just gonna give her a Yoshi Knife; thank you, Pei Pei!

Pei Pei

YUM! Now I know what to bring to the Mother's Day party this Sunday, and I was just gonna give her a Yoshi Knife; thank you, Pei Pei!
YUMMY!!!! Maybe if you don't tell them it's for dogs......................speaking of which, I have made two types of dog snacks that I really like too. Not sweet and more like soft crackers. Much better for me than cookies.:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
No, i do not chop up the oats. But yeah, if you swap out dried liver for fresh liver, it might indeed be too chewy to use for tricks training treats. :oops:

I use fresh veggies, and fresh chicken liver, and for tricks training, i break it up into crumb size treats, about the size of a pea.
When i make these, I do not use entire cookies for tricks training. I always use TINY treats for tricks training.

Joanne, have you made a batch of these treats yet? I'm so interested to hear of Asher's reactions to them???

(and Pet Pei, re: your remark on the breeder vs. rescue, i just moved that topic over to two other threads--)
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/the-plight-of-the-purebred.3527/

and this older thread: http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/dont-buy-a-dog-not-any-dog-at-all.3109/

Pei Pei

Thanks!! I did make them with all fresh stuff, with oatmeal chopped up and just rolled it all flat to 1/4 inch and then sut it up in to tiny pieces and they love it. I made enough for an army of dogs and froze most of it. I'll check the thread out!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Pei Pei, you do not have to mince up the oats, at all! Really, dogs can eat dead animals, oats are nothing to a dog. but, i'm glad your dogs liked them!! MIncing up oats seems a lot of work!! Dogs will not mind the slightest bit! at all! I only throw in enough oats to make it thick enough to drop by spoonfuls onto silicone lined cookie sheet.

(OOPS!! I SO SO SO HOPE i mentioned you have to use a blue rubbery silicone cookie sheet liner!! O_othis recipe sticks like CRAZY if you don't!!)

and the links in my last post above yours
are for TWO different threads, really,

one thread is about the uselessness of AKC registration, or titles:rolleyes:/and how purebred health is being more and more compromised,

and

other thread is encouraging ppl to rescue, not buy/trying to dispell myths about rescue dogs.

JoAnne

Pei Pei, you do not have to mince up the oats, at all! Really, dogs can eat dead animals, oats are nothing to a dog. but, i'm glad your dogs liked them!! MIncing up oats seems a lot of work!! Dogs will not mind the slightest bit! at all! I only throw in enough oats to make it thick enough to drop by spoonfuls onto silicone lined cookie sheet.

(OOPS!! I SO SO SO HOPE i mentioned you have to use a blue rubbery silicone cookie sheet liner!! O_othis recipe sticks like CRAZY if you don't!!)

and the links in my last post above yours
are for TWO different threads, really,

one thread is about the uselessness of AKC registration, or titles:rolleyes:/and how purebred health is being more and more compromised,

and

other thread is encouraging ppl to rescue, not buy/trying to dispell myths about rescue dogs.
No, i do not chop up the oats. But yeah, if you swap out dried liver for fresh liver, it might indeed be too chewy to use for tricks training treats. :oops:

I use fresh veggies, and fresh chicken liver, and for tricks training, i break it up into crumb size treats, about the size of a pea.
When i make these, I do not use entire cookies for tricks training. I always use TINY treats for tricks training.

Joanne, have you made a batch of these treats yet? I'm so interested to hear of Asher's reactions to them???

(and Pet Pei, re: your remark on the breeder vs. rescue, i just moved that topic over to two other threads--)
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/the-plight-of-the-purebred.3527/

and this older thread: http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/dont-buy-a-dog-not-any-dog-at-all.3109/

JoAnne

I haven't made these, Ash is working real well for the Nathan's hot dogs and whatever else I didn't eat the night before. I find that switching A LOT keeps him more motivated and when I find something he's not that interested in I just cross it off the list. Lately I think he'd like to try a little African Gray parrot.

Our clicking has improved a lot but he goes into extinction SO quickly that I'm not sure if that's what's happening or he's just being a little snot; he's always been vocal especially when he's happy. I call it 'singing'. But this isn't that, it's more like a hissy fit; typical man, just really short.

sara

Staff member
Extinction is when something that USED to get a click no longer works, and the dog/cat/whatever tries it again, and again, harder and harder, and can often have a little temper tantrum... it's hilarious!

It's really well illustrated in the video of the "fainting fish"

You can see the video on this Karen Pryor website http://www.reachingtheanimalmind.com/chapter_04.html (the fainting fish video)

JoAnne

Forget Karen's fish, you can just watch my dog. It is a little bit hysterical, but frustrating as hell since all I can do is sit there patiently til he's done. Crossover Training is proving to be well worth the purchase; I don't feel quite so alone. Oh great, I just found a tick on my loverboy. By the way, does everyone know the easiest way to remove a tick is with a cottonball soaked in dishwashing detergent? Just press the ball on the tick for about a minute and it should suffocate and come right off.