Me And My Pup Asher

JoAnne

too funny! btw, borders need a very experienced dog person, to put them with small kids. It's harder to stop a border from herding, even herding your kids, than you'd think. Herding also involves nipping their heels, etc.
but, i know you were joking!!:p
Yes, having raised kids and dogs, i gotta agree, my dog never sasses me, obeys me 99% of the time, never wrecks my car, never hangs out with bad influences, doesn't need new clothes and expensive tuitions, never rolls his eyes at me, (okay, my dog kinda rolls his eyes at me, but not too often) rofl!!

JoAnne

I'm sure that no one at this forum will challange me when I say, that on more than one occasion my German Shepherd Sarah, rolled her eyes at me. Then again, she was my sister and knew when to put me in my place. No Alpha shit here...we were one. I guess that's why Asher is such a challenge. Every time I think I know everything about dog training, Go throws me an Asher!

JoAnne

I'm sure that no one at this forum will challange me when I say, that on more than one occasion my German Shepherd Sarah, rolled her eyes at me. Then again, she was my sister and knew when to put me in my place. No Alpha shit here...we were one. I guess that's why Asher is such a challenge. Every time I think I know everything about dog training, Go throws me an Asher!

JoAnne

I meant that 'God' throws me an Asher; which btw, is from the bible, and means "Blessed Gift"! The jury's still out on THAT one!!!!!!!! Heheeee, naw...he IS a blessing...and a lesson that I obviously need to learn!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
ha, me and my dog are both atheists, but, glad for you that you have a great dog!! We DO learn a lot from our dogs!!!

hee hee, it's like i tell my religious pal, "you have a god, i have a dog!" rofl!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Joanne, along same lines as your thought, is one of my favorite "Tx-isms" (<---that is what i call the pearls of wisdom Tx_cowgirl says)
she said:
//"Learning to reach out to dogs, teach and understand our dogs, IS an ongoing process, isn't it? ?? *WE* really never stop learning, do we?"//

JoAnne

Yeah, ya know I'm not a fanatic either, but once you start talkin' to him, and then sit back, SHUT UP and just wait for an answer...it's pretty cool. He loves dogs; he was a shepherd after all ya know.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
when i get clever, i am going to re-learn needle point, and make that quote into a framed thing for Tx, and send it to her, to thank her for alllll the help i got from her when i brought Buddy home.
well, come to think of it, i'd have make quite a few of those, i think, for so many members here, but, Tx, i really wore her out!!

JoAnne

when i get clever, i am going to re-learn needle point, and make that quote into a framed thing for Tx, and send it to her, to thank her for alllll the help i got from her when i brought Buddy home.
well, come to think of it, i'd have make quite a few of those, i think, for so many members here, but, Tx, i really wore her out!!
I apologize for any religious 'thangs', I guess I just thank God for him, and for you guys for your help...oh shit. there I go again.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
lol, Joanne, if you want to assign your own reasons to why things happen, that is absolutely your choice to assign things that happen, as 'answers' from gods!!! it's your right to think that way. I'm not atheist for lack of exposure to the talking points of religions, i've heard them all....many 1000s of times...
I can almost always find a bright side to things, too, but, i'm godless. I just think of that as "seeing the bright side", or making lemonade from lemons, or learning from mistakes or hard times, etc, or whatever. However, i'm not entirely certain my atheist dog shares that same personality trait as i do....

trust me, you don't wanna get *me* going on *that* topic, bah haha! and probably, i'm guessing, we'd be violating the rules of the site to debate whether our feelings are credible, empirical evidence of gods or not. The other person almost always gets honked off anyway.

:LOL::LOL::D:LOL::)so back to dogs!!!:):LOL::D:LOL::LOL:

JoAnne

lol, Joanne, if you want to assign your own reasons to why things happen, that is absolutely your choice to assign things that happen, as 'answers' from gods!!! it's your right to think that way. I'm not atheist for lack of exposure to the talking points of religions, i've heard them all....many 1000s of times...
I can almost always find a bright side to things, too, but, i'm godless. I just think of that as "seeing the bright side", or making lemonade from lemons, or learning from mistakes or hard times, etc, or whatever. However, i'm not entirely certain my atheist dog shares that same personality trait as i do....

trust me, you don't wanna get *me* going on *that* topic, bah haha! and probably, i'm guessing, we'd be violating the rules of the site to debate whether our feelings are credible, empirical evidence of gods or not. The other person almost always gets honked off anyway.

:LOL::LOL::D:LOL::)so back to dogs!!!:):LOL::D:LOL::LOL:

JoAnne

//"See what happens when you let the dogs run loose? "//:LOL:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/216872/who_let_the_dogs_out/
I've got that as my ringtone on my cell! So, Ash and I went to the big 'Walk for MS' today; I've got MS, not him and he had A BALL, not a real ball but a real good time! It was so funny to see him react to anyone who DIDN'T want to stop and pet him. The ms thing is why I want him to learn service dog training and I can tell already that behaving while he has the vest on will be more of a challange than just learning how to hold, but that's a long way off. Now he's so crashed out that I think we'll take a break from working tonight.

So here's todays question, how soon or when should I name the cue? I'm re-reading The Animal Mind while I wait for Crossover to arrive in the mail, the more I read the more questions I seem to get. I'm really chompin' at the bit to try some of this but I know he tired and the little guy earned his rest today. Haha, if someone donated money per pee rather than per mile we would have earned enough to CURE ms!

Appy

Hi JoAnne - you asked if other people had clicker trained difference animals; I have 2 clicker trained horses so I've come to dog training backward compared to most people. Generally people ct dogs and then try with other animals.....

Anyhoo, in terms of adding the cue - if you have the behaviour occurring reliably and consistently ie he is always holding the object, then you can say 'hold' just before presenting the object. This is the new cue/old cue protocol where the object is in fact the old cue for the behaviour. The thing to remember is that as long as the behaviour is happening, you already have a cue, just not perhaps the one you want :) For example at the moment my dog has a cue for backup that is my stepping slightly toward her. My next step is to say 'backup' just before I step toward her - I will do this about 5 times with both cues and then I will ask only with the new cue of 'backup'; if she backs up, great, if not, I will then add the old cue of stepping toward her. Hopefully she will then have the new cue but if not, I'll go back a step and repeat the new cue/old cue presentation.

If you look at the training videos in the classroom, this protocol is shown really well there. Often the trick is establishing what the actual cue IS - you might think it is (in my case above), stepping toward the dog but its actually calling her to me in order to ask her to backup.... Being clean with the process of teaching the behaviour helps and if you are having problems, it sometimes is useful to examine what the cue for the behaviour truly is; also make sure the behaviour is consistent before you attempt to put it on cue.

Have fun!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Omg, I can't leave this group alone for 5 min and all heck breaks loose!! :p That video is a riot, toooo funny!! And Sara, I'm right there with you - dogs, no kids -- we got it all figured out, huh? Laffing at the new DTA lingerie line - nighties with attached training packs, makes it all so much easier. Brought back memories of trying to teach my girl to bow - I could never catch her in a stretch except when she first got up in the morning (when I did) - so what does one do, but put treats in one's pj pocket? Hey, it worked, I captured that stretch, got that bow - treats in the pj pocket worked!! I know she would have absconded with the bait bag in the middle of the night, had I left it on the nightstand. It definitely would have been MIA in the morning, and when found, would have been empty. :rolleyes:

Appy gave you a good explanation as to when you add your verbal cue -- after you get a reliable behavior. It doesn't have to be a perfect behavior, only a reliable one. When you know Asher understands what you're asking, then add your verbal cue. With that clicker, you can perfect it - get it faster, sharper, longer, whatever you're looking for.

Sounds like you ordered "The Thinking Dog" by Gail Fisher? If so, I bet you're going to get so many of your questions answered, and she'll give excercises to work thru as examples to clafiry, so that you understand. I think it will really help to clear up some of the muddy waters for you, I hope so, anyway.

And yeah, Tx, where are you, this is your kinda party!!??!! :LOL:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Tx has finals coming up, is hitting the books....guess we'll all have to behave for a while!! But, Sara, you are not having finals this week, right??:)