Lets See All Your Leave-it Pics!

Honored Member
Very good. But are these "leave it"s or "stays"?

If I put Holly in a stay then I can roll treats past her and have them land between her paws and would be able to set up a treat sign without her getting up, but if I put treats all over the ground and ask her to walk over them she is far more likely to try to grab one (we are working on this though - distractions during heel work).

So are these "stays" or will the dogs still refrain from eating the treats if they get up and walk around (or if you leave the room and the dog is allowed to move around)?

Either way it is impressive though (y)

madeleine

Experienced Member
I see a video contest comming up!!!!!

For Dazzle it is a leave it. I can leave the room, and she wont take it, just comes with me.
We "train" this a bit more, specially when I'm counting all her treats so i know when to order new ones (I have lots off that) Then there are more treats lying all over the ground and she just goes playing with a toy and trowing that around. When I say she can graph somethig though see is the first one there.

MaryK

Honored Member
Both pictures are VERY creative and great work!!!!!!!!!:love:

We're still working on leaving ONE treat:rolleyes:

Madeleine, what's the secret? Ra Kismet would be straight into the ONE treat (forget an array at this stage) if I moved away. He's improving but brother it's s-l-o-w as he's extremely food orientated!!!!! I have managed though, to get him to 'stay' while I place a treat way off somewhere, then ask for him to 'seek'. Am rather chuffed about that!!!!!!!:LOL:

Yes def a video competition in the making!!!!!!!:D

madeleine

Experienced Member
uhm making this part of a normal routine??
Maybe she just knows that when ever I have LOTS off food around, it takes a while before I focuss my attention back to her.
When I'm counting the treats, or proportionig her raw meals I normally don't stop before the job is done. Done that when she was a pup. She probally did try to get my attention but that failed (i geuss....)

Next to that I uselly give her a treat that she can eat, so in order to get it she walks with me... And when I am not, oh well, she graphs the next best thing which is a toy. And you will know she had a toy, it goes flying trough the air with a bouncy brown ball off fur behind it..

One time she tried a different way though...
It was a couple off months back and I couldn't haelp but to laugh. You have to I know I keep her treats in big boxes. I was counting and restoring treats.
I found something new in one box...

*is searching for the picture*

Dogster

Honored Member
Mary, I would start with something of low value - food. Once he has a good leave it with food, I would move on to treats. The key is to keep it at a s l o w pace, since Ra Kismet is very food motivated.;)

You can also practice his stays before eating. I found that with Shivon, it also improved her leave it.

Hope this helps!!!!:)

Mutt

Experienced Member
I think it also helps that the stay is good before adding the distraction (food) and it can help to teach the dog that they have to waite before they may eat (this our daily routine from when they are 4/5 months old). I sometimes ask them to focus while they are waiting for their food. I can leave the room and they will patiently waite (because patiently waiting means getting a lot of food in the end).

We even had once when mazzel was younger and staying with someone while we were on vacation, we had forgotten to tell them that mazzel has to waite (no cue is used) before he may eat and he was patiently waiting while they were very confused while he wasn't eating. Than someone said 'ja' (= yes) (not to mazzel but for something else) and he started eating. :)

Anneke

Honored Member
I'll join in:D
Leave it with my threesome...

See how close Cooper's nose is to the treats?:)

Treats on paws

Oops:eek::whistle::D

Don't like this, mum... I'll look at you and ignore the treats. They are not there, they are not there...

Cooper: oh boy, soooo tempting... Jinx: I don't see the treats. Treats? where?:ROFLMAO:

Meanwhile, behind my back....:confused:

madeleine

Experienced Member
Another one off Dazzle her leave it.
Her she was allowed to has the treat before I said leave it. Did it very good, let the treat go immediatly.:love:
I didn't said to her that she had to lay on her side, just leave it.

20121219_013423.jpg

These small ones where before she got the leave it! I just found them funny:D
Though she really can't grapgh the treat well, like rats can, I'm amazed at how well she uses it:)

20121219_012950.jpg

20121219_013033.jpg

20121219_013042.jpg

MaryK

Honored Member
Mary, I would start with something of low value - food. Once he has a good leave it with food, I would move on to treats. The key is to keep it at a s l o w pace, since Ra Kismet is very food motivated.;)

You can also practice his stays before eating. I found that with Shivon, it also improved her leave it.

Hope this helps!!!!:)
Thank you Dogster:) I will do that and see how we progress.

He actually had a good 'leave' with his food when he was a puppy, but unfortunately Zeus made a dive for his dish (due to the onset of Cushings which causes a dog to become ravenously hungry, thief etc. for food), and since then Ra Kismet's kinda forgotten 'leave it' with his food. Will have to start 'retraining' him on that too and watch Zeus, who still does at times attempt to steal his food.

MaryK

Honored Member
I think it also helps that the stay is good before adding the distraction (food) and it can help to teach the dog that they have to waite before they may eat (this our daily routine from when they are 4/5 months old). I sometimes ask them to focus while they are waiting for their food. I can leave the room and they will patiently waite (because patiently waiting means getting a lot of food in the end).

We even had once when mazzel was younger and staying with someone while we were on vacation, we had forgotten to tell them that mazzel has to waite (no cue is used) before he may eat and he was patiently waiting while they were very confused while he wasn't eating. Than someone said 'ja' (= yes) (not to mazzel but for something else) and he started eating. :)
Ra Kismet has a very good stay, he'll even 'stay' 99% of the time when I walk around to where his soccer ball is 'hidden' (he knows were but cannot reach it). I've had a bit of a problem with food though, at feeding time, ever since Zeus developed Cushings he makes a dive for Ra Kismet's food ball. Will have to work on this, as Ra Kismet did know 'leave it' as a puppy. Ra will not touch our food, though now sadly I cannot totally trust Zeus who was once a very trustworthy dog but that's a symptom of Cushings so not a lot I can do about that.:(

That's so cute, poor Mazzel must have wondered how long he had to wait for his dinnerO_o:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Another one off Dazzle her leave it.
Her she was allowed to has the treat before I said leave it. Did it very good, let the treat go immediatly.:love:
I didn't said to her that she had to lay on her side, just leave it.

View attachment 2095

These small ones where before she got the leave it! I just found them funny:D
Though she really can't grapgh the treat well, like rats can, I'm amazed at how well she uses it:)

View attachment 2096

View attachment 2097

View attachment 2098
:LOL: She's adding to the trick, smart lassie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaryK

Honored Member
Anneke, LOVED your guys, and the cat, can well relate to that one!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Have a feeling Ra Kismet is a kindred soul with Cooper, that's how he is when we try 'leave it' but even closer, too close OOPS my mouth opened and the treat just happened to jump into it!:eek: