Let's Make A Video!

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I've got some bits of video of Zac but am not totally happy with them yet. It's reminded me of the importance of letting the camera run on for a few seconds after taking the scene I want and holding off from giving the reward for those few seconds too, helps continuity and stitching together.

Would you believe I set up to film Zac at the window as the postman arrived and the postman walked past the gate without coming in?! It's only a couple of times a month that happens and it WOULD be today!! LOL

Aaaaaaaaargh just this instant had an idea for a great trick/behaviour for Zac to do in the video but I'd have to start teaching him it from scratch... not the sort of trick he'd get quickly either :( Maybe another time :p
What was this great idea? :D

running_dog

Honored Member
What was this great idea? :D
I've decided to have the photo of the dogs fastened to my radiator with fridge magnets, and if I'd trained Zac to handle the magnets I could have had him putting a magnet in place before resting his paw on the photo and bowing his head. But I never thought of that before.

Also Zac has unexpectedly developed a bad shoulder so that's going to slow us down a bit.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I've decided to have the photo of the dogs fastened to my radiator with fridge magnets, and if I'd trained Zac to handle the magnets I could have had him putting a magnet in place before resting his paw on the photo and bowing his head. But I never thought of that before.

Also Zac has unexpectedly developed a bad shoulder so that's going to slow us down a bit.
That's a really cute idea! I tried teaching Chloe how to put magnets on the fridge last night when I saw this, and she had figured it out within 5 minutes (silly dog :p ). I'm not sure if I could get her to put it directly on a picture though, if she could we could film your idea instead so it could at least be in the video. (Granted, i guess I cheated a little bit, the magnet that I'm having Chloe use is a palm tree, so she can easily hold the trunk, and stick the top of it on the fridge. Perhaps if you could find a magnet similar to that Zac would be able to learn it quicker?)

I hope Zac's shoulder gets better soon, do you know what's wrong with it?

running_dog

Honored Member
That's a really cute idea! I tried teaching Chloe how to put magnets on the fridge last night when I saw this, and she had figured it out within 5 minutes (silly dog :p ). I'm not sure if I could get her to put it directly on a picture though, if she could we could film your idea instead so it could at least be in the video. (Granted, i guess I cheated a little bit, the magnet that I'm having Chloe use is a palm tree, so she can easily hold the trunk, and stick the top of it on the fridge. Perhaps if you could find a magnet similar to that Zac would be able to learn it quicker?)

I hope Zac's shoulder gets better soon, do you know what's wrong with it?
Maybe I should have a go with the magnets... don't know that Zac would figure it out that quick though, it isn't his kind of trick, guess I won't know until I try :rolleyes:.

No idea what happened with his shoulder. Seems a lot better now so hopefully a couple more lead walks will have him back to 100%.

running_dog

Honored Member
Kassidy, I should have said go ahead and try to do the magnet trick with Chloe if you want to. I doubt I'll have time to work through it with Zac for this video so if you and Chloe can make it work it would be great :):cool: Well done to Chloe for figuring the first part of the trick out so quickly (y)

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Maybe I should have a go with the magnets... don't know that Zac would figure it out that quick though, it isn't his kind of trick, guess I won't know until I try :rolleyes:.

No idea what happened with his shoulder. Seems a lot better now so hopefully a couple more lead walks will have him back to 100%.
Does Zac know how to put his toys away? I basically used that skill to teach it to Chloe. I just handed her the magnet, pointed to the fridge, said "put it away" (which is her cue for putting her toys away) and she immediately put it on the fridge. (My dog makes me look like a lot better of a trainer than I really am LOL :p ) Maybe Zac will make the same association, you could at least try. :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Absolutely brilliant RD and Danielle!(y):love: I'm waaaaaaaaay behind too!:( Will have to get the creative hat on and think up their address too! Thank you RD for the very clear 'how to make' instructions, really appreciate those!:)

Weather is now co-operating but..........Blossom's not!:rolleyes: She's just realized she's almost a teenager:cool: And do I need to say more???? My lovely, well behaved, intelligent puppy is now a little Horror!:eek: And btw she's still gorgeous and adorable, but trying to get her to co-operate is now as hard as trying to get partner to do so!:rolleyes:

Will keep on training and working though, she's not entirely forgotten everything just yet, so there's hope!:rolleyes:

running_dog

Honored Member
Does Zac know how to put his toys away? I basically used that skill to teach it to Chloe. I just handed her the magnet, pointed to the fridge, said "put it away" (which is her cue for putting her toys away) and she immediately put it on the fridge. (My dog makes me look like a lot better of a trainer than I really am LOL :p ) Maybe Zac will make the same association, you could at least try. :)
No Zac doesn't know how to put his toys away but he can stack dishes so that might work. Have had a lot on so I haven't had a chance to try any of this out. Also he's going through a bit of a phase because I'm going out to work now so he's spitting his dummy out and doing his own thing even when I'm home - before he would hang around me all the time and we'd train whenever we felt like it, I'm sure he'll get over it soon.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Here are a couple photos of Missy with her bandana on... finally. Sorry for the delay! I took them with my phone. Missy kept trying to chase the light from my phone so it was very tricky to do. I hope you like them! Sorry they went sideways!
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG

southerngirl

Honored Member
I wanted to do this outside, but I went to do it with the mail box and figured out it is unstable. So I can't use it because it shakes when Missy goes to get the mail which scares her. The only alternative I could think of was the package was delivered at the door. I tried doing more video today such as Piper opening the door and Missy closing it, but it's raining so the lighting is completely different. If you want something different let me know.

running_dog

Honored Member
I wanted to do this outside, but I went to do it with the mail box and figured out it is unstable. So I can't use it because it shakes when Missy goes to get the mail which scares her. The only alternative I could think of was the package was delivered at the door. I tried doing more video today such as Piper opening the door and Missy closing it, but it's raining so the lighting is completely different. If you want something different let me know.
I think that looks excellent Danielle.(y)(y)
I love how excited Missy looks to have a parcel!
Congratulations on being the first to post a video, you really got me motivated!

running_dog

Honored Member
These will be Zac's contributions for section one there is also a snippet I filmed thinking about the very end of the video. Alas Zac does not have Missy's enthusiasm for bringing the envelope, maybe the distance over-faced him, he looks like I've been beating him up rather than feeding him endless treats :rolleyes: at least he manages to unpack the envelope more enthusiastically :cool:.

In terms of timings Zac's actual section one sequences without alternatives are just over 20 seconds (with transitions I hope they'll cut to 20 seconds), if I manage to get something filmed for the photo sequence at the very beginning I'll cut the hiding his head in the envelope.

As it happens we also seem to have lost a few people. So if you like we can think about filming slightly longer sequences of the dogs who are still involved. For video editing purposes I'm starting to think 30 seconds for section one from each dog would be good and then we can have a bit more choice at the editing stage. What do you all think?

Something I've noticed in terms of filming... think about rewarding your dog in the direction of the camera. Zac's sequences would have been much better if he had finished looking at the camera instead of at me - so easy to do by rewarding in front of the camera but I forgot :oops:

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I still haven't found a brown envelope. (n) I'm hoping either today or tomorrow I can go to the post office or something and get one. Then I will start filming. Sorry guys!