Let's Make A Video!

MaryK

Honored Member
Looking forward to seeing what you and the dogs come up with :)

Reminds self that I must finish that photo... :oops:

Looks like Zac's bandana is already going to need a wash... he went in the car with me when I went milking and although he just waited in the car somehow the bandana has ended up rather mud spattered... thankfully it is clean mud not cow muck :rolleyes:
We're trying to work on something but LOL Blossom, whilst able to do beginner tricks by herself, get's carried away when I try to work her with Leafy:rolleyes: She's more in play mode than trick mode. Plus we've had to work inside, but if it stays cooler, we can work outside late afternoon. Also the light will, I hope, be softer then. Day time way to much glare to get decent photos or videos and they would stand out against the others too much.

I'm trying to get Leaf to do sit pretty, which she does easily, holding the parcel in her mouth, while Blossom takes it out and unwraps it - but it's not quite working out as I envisage it to:rolleyes: Ms. B is ripping the parcel and generally playing up like mad!:rolleyes::eek: Then Leaf catches the play bug and decides holding anything in her mouth is a total bore, playing with Blossom is MUCH more fun!

How on earth did Zac get mud on his bandana in the car???? That's an amazing 'trick' but one I'm sure you could live without!:rolleyes: Yes, thank goodness it wasn't cow muck, that's hard to get off and stinks very badly too.:eek:

MaryK

Honored Member
Here's the photo with all the dogs on it, wish now I'd gone for a landscape format :( but I thought I would need the height for the flag. The scale of some of the dogs is wrong not to mention the light and shade being rather off but hopefully it will do for what we are using it for.
View attachment 3165
It looks grand RD.:)(y) I can see what you mean about the light and shade, but you've had to work with dog photos all taken in different places, times etc. so it would be virtually impossible to get them all the same. I doubt anyone is going to notice it, unless you point it out of course, because the dogs all look so cute.

Personally I think you've done a great job. I once worked on a big project too with dogs and cats and brother it's not easy to get the proportions and lighting looking absolutely right.

MaryK

Honored Member
Woman proposes Dog dis-proposes! To mis-quote a well known saying. I had proposed to have Leaf sit pretty with the parcel in her mouth, while Blossom's role was to attempt to destroy the parcel etc. in true puppy style.

However, the Diva has point blank refused, after many training attempts on my part, to hold anything like a parcel in her dainty little mouth. Honestly guys if you could see the turned up and slight away nose and the LOOK of pure unadulterated disgust on her face, you would understand why I have given up. Leaf is not in the foreseeable future going to hold a parcel in her mouth:rolleyes::eek: .

So in sheer desperation I turned to Blossom. Thinking the best I could hope for would be she'd ripped it up I tried hold. To my utmost surprise my little girl (who's just turned 3 months old) held the 'parcel' in her mouth! She was so good, did run off a little but dropped it the moment I said "give". I'm stunned!O_o:confused:

We are now working on a new act. Leaf 'says her prayers the parcel with arrive safely' and then Blossom takes the parcel in her mouth, may run about a bit, but will then drop the parcel when cued. Have to polish the act a little. Get Blossom to drop the parcel at Leaf's paws or something, but that's the general idea now.

Also, we may shoot on the beach at twilight, the lighting may be better there. Plus thought, if possible, will get Blossom coming out of the ocean (no chance of Leaf doing that) as if the parcel had come from overseas which most of you are anyway. But our weather is very bad at present, now severe storms have been forecast, so we may be a little over the deadline. Sorry about this, we've tried hard to make the deadline and I personally hate being late, but cannot do anything about the weather.

Bandanas. Still cannot get Blossom to wear one at all. She's not co-operating on this whilst Leaf will wear one without any fuss. Any suggestions would be appreciated on this trick.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Hi MissyBC, yes we are working to a kind of theme which began in this post.

While I am getting round to finishing the photo we all need to,
  • Buy, beg, borrow or bake (well M-ake didn't alliterate :LOL: ) a bandana for our dog (if we haven't already got one), the colour/design has already been kind of agreed (red with a pattern?). Please could one of you who has one of the agreed bandanas please post a photo of it (with or without dog :rolleyes: ) showing the kind of red and the pattern?
  • Plan (and begin to train) the tricks our dogs are going to do at the beginning - looking sadly at the photo, getting the mail, unwrapping the parcel, wearing the bandana. These can be indoor or outdoor but the lighter the environment the better. They will be mixed in with video of other dogs. I asked about timings before and haven't had a response so I'm going to pick a number for this first part of the video... 10 - 20 seconds of tricks from each dog (That's in total for section one - if you have a long "getting the mail" sequence cut short the "opening the parcel"). Aim for really polished short performances, you can send more but they will be cut down to keep the total video length reasonable.
  • Think about camera angles and how they make video more dramatic - for example I've been thinking of Zac just grabbing the parcel from the letter box we have in our door, I could prop the camera low on the floor so we are looking up at the letter box from an angle and Zac zooms in above.
  • We need to think about the second (bandana wearing section) of the video and the finale (Zzzzzzz)
The deadline for getting suitable bandanas (and the very latest for me finishing the picture) is 8th January, be expecting to submit videos for section one within a week of that and for section 2 and the finale the following week.

People with pups will have to film all the sections at almost the same time. we can't have the pups doubling in size between getting the bandanas and going out to party in them and then doubling in size again before bedtime O_o. It seems a good idea if we all work to the same deadlines for now.

In summary: get a bandana and plan/train your tricks for section one.

Sorry if I sound draconian but I feel that if we (especially me) don't have a few deadlines we are never going to finish :( .
For looking sadly at the photo I could have her look at or touch the photo, then do her "head down" trick, where she sets her head down on the ground, which could possibly achieve the sadness look. Chloe loves opening things, so I could have her open the parcel too. :D I'll work on "getting the mail", but I'm going to have to use my friend's mailbox since my mailbox is across the road, and its a pretty busy road. I already have a bandana like that, now I just have to find it. ;) If you guys have any more ideas for tricks for this then we can see if Chloe already knows them, or I can just teach her new tricks for this. We need some motivation to learn new tricks anyway. :LOL:

running_dog

Honored Member
Also, we may shoot on the beach at twilight, the lighting may be better there. Plus thought, if possible, will get Blossom coming out of the ocean (no chance of Leaf doing that) as if the parcel had come from overseas which most of you are anyway. But our weather is very bad at present, now severe storms have been forecast, so we may be a little over the deadline. Sorry about this, we've tried hard to make the deadline and I personally hate being late, but cannot do anything about the weather.

Bandanas. Still cannot get Blossom to wear one at all. She's not co-operating on this whilst Leaf will wear one without any fuss. Any suggestions would be appreciated on this trick.
You are doing great, you are working through problems that I suspect most of the rest of us will start to come across this weekend! I have my ideas but I haven't tried to explain them to Zac yet. Also you are working two dogs which is tremendously challenging in itself. All your effort so far has put me to shame.

I have a feeling it is silly to waste a lot of time teaching Blossom to wear a bandana when I'm guessing this is just a puppy stage she is going through. Why not play with the idea she won't wear the bandana? When my niece was small she dragged a bit of soft fabric "clothie" around with her everywhere. That could be a really funny way to tackle it - have the bandana become Blossom's clothie - especially as Blossom is cooperating with hold! Show Leaf wearing the bandana and Blossom running off with her's in her mouth.

At the next stage interspersed throughout the other dogs (all wearing bandanas and doing cool stuff) we could have a bandanaless Blossom running all over looking for her lost bandana (and maybe trying to steal Leaf's bandana) before she finally finds hers again and comes hurtling towards the camera carrying it in her mouth. I honestly think that would steal the show :cool:.

running_dog

Honored Member
For looking sadly at the photo I could have her look at or touch the photo, then do her "head down" trick, where she sets her head down on the ground, which could possibly achieve the sadness look. Chloe loves opening things, so I could have her open the parcel too. :D I'll work on "getting the mail", but I'm going to have to use my friend's mailbox since my mailbox is across the road, and its a pretty busy road. I already have a bandana like that, now I just have to find it. ;) If you guys have any more ideas for tricks for this then we can see if Chloe already knows them, or I can just teach her new tricks for this. We need some motivation to learn new tricks anyway. :LOL:
That all sounds really good Kassidy (y)

southerngirl

Honored Member
I hate to ask this, but is there anyway to extend the deadline till next Friday. I have a family member who is in the hospital, so I spent a few days at her house taking care of my cousin who lives with her. This week has been chaos with my family member in the hospital. Plus I just started my first job today. If you can't extend the deadline I understand and will try to get the video in, but can't guarantee that I will.

running_dog

Honored Member
Are the videos due tomorrow? Or do we just need to have the bandanna by then?
I can't remember! I'll go look... I thought we had another week before the videos...
Yes! Here is the relevant part of the original post -
The deadline for getting suitable bandanas (and the very latest for me finishing the picture) is 8th January, be expecting to submit videos for section one within a week of that and for section 2 and the finale the following week.
So... bandanas and a pretty good idea of what you are going to film by today (8th Jan)
Deadline for section 1 videos is the 15th, obviously we can stretch that deadline to the weekend but lets try to at least get started before the 15th unless (like Danielle) we have a really really good reason not to! Apart from anything else it'll be great fun to look at each other's videos!
I hate to ask this, but is there anyway to extend the deadline till next Friday. I have a family member who is in the hospital, so I spent a few days at her house taking care of my cousin who lives with her. This week has been chaos with my family member in the hospital. Plus I just started my first job today. If you can't extend the deadline I understand and will try to get the video in, but can't guarantee that I will.
Danielle, of course you can send in the video later, maybe take a little longer than next Friday if you need to, don't ever feel bad about asking. I only set the deadlines because without them people like me were never going to get started! I really hope your family member is well soon and that your new job goes well.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Well here's some pictures of Chloe with her bandanna (not sure why the pictures are sideways, It seems to always do that when I send the pictures from my phone...)

image1 (2).JPG

image3.JPG

Tried to get one of her sitting pretty, and she decided to stick her tongue out! :rolleyes: Lol I laughed so hard when I saw this picture! :LOL:
image2.JPG
image4.JPG

southerngirl

Honored Member
Danielle, of course you can send in the video later, maybe take a little longer than next Friday if you need to, don't ever feel bad about asking. I only set the deadlines because without them people like me were never going to get started! I really hope your family member is well soon and that your new job goes well.
Yes, totally agree on having deadlines. It keeps everyone working to try and get it in on time.
:) Thanks Rdog.

southerngirl

Honored Member

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Hi Mary - What about this one from Ebay Australia, it is 4 Australian dollars (I understand that's about £2? :unsure: ) and free postage? The design probably isn't a perfect match but it is in white rather than yellow. If you look at other Ebay Australia sites you can get them even cheaper posted free from Hong Kong but the delivery time is long.

Zac's was £1 and free postage from Ebay UK, again not a perfect match but very close. It arrived today.

Hi Everyone else (and Mary) :D Zac's never worn anything like a bandana before but he's quite laid back about it all. I just tied it on him and he has been wearing it ever since. I thought my family would complain but instead he got, "Awwwwwwww, I always like dogs wearing those!"
View attachment 3157

View attachment 3158

View attachment 3159
I just noticed that in the sit pretty picture, you can really see his eyebrows! LOL that's so cute! :ROFLMAO: