Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I might, but haven't yet

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Is anyone else training this, or has trained their dog to do this?
Dog stays in his own yard...no fence, no leash, and definitely no electric fence.

I am currently working on this, for our unfenced front yard,
and i am still proofing it..i am currently using almost all my training time,
and almost all my daily allotment of training treats on this project...and then i begin use tuggy toy as rewards.

I would never trust this entirely, but, it's fun to work on. I doubt i will ever get this where Buddy will stop at the edge of his yard if he chasing a bunny, though...
but, so far, my dog lets me go clear down the street, and stays in his yard,
he won't chase after toys or treats thrown out into the street,
and this week, twice, he stayed in his yard when a dog walked by.
but i don't think this will hold against a bunny.

still, it's fun to work on. Very challenging, imo.

I am also trying to teach Buddy where his cement driveway ends,
and where the street begins....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
It's harder than you'd think to not accidentally teach dog to be at edge of the street, though...i might have to get someone to play with dog in his yard, while i walk out of yard,
to help Buddy get idea he does NOT have to sit right at edge of street....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I do believe, my efforts to teach Buddy where the cement driveway ends, is sort of working against Buddy's understanding of "Ohhhh, i stay on the grass, got it"
cuz i also bring him onto his own cement driveway too....

i guess, i will skip the driveway for now, and just work ONLY on keeping him in the grass for now....

i *might* even have to add whole separate cue, whole separate lessons for driveway, after he has the "grass" part nailed down...not sure...but, i guess for now, i will just stop the driveway lessons for now..

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Carmel is back into the yard a bit. These ladies saw me doing this a few days ago and they where completely amazed:) Carmel also knows when i say ``go home`` to sit in front of the door. I can say that far away and she still goes home:)

SD&B

Experienced Member
I'd love to, but we're in a place where the leash laws are too restrictive (and people are watching) or, at the other place, where it is too dangerous for a failure.

I have done a little work on threshold training. Draw an invisible line on the floor or ground (usually where there is an obvious threshold such as where the carpet ends at a doorway) and the dog shouldn't cross it. We haven't worked on it in a long time and we didn't have it perfected. But Barney sure does like to sit at the kitchen threshold when I'm fixing his dinner, which is a result of his threshold training, I think.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Both Missy and Chase stay in the back yard. The only fence is separating our yard from a busy highway (u can't see the highway it's behind a hill). I wouldn't really count it as barrier cause the house and pool basically block the view of the road and houses. They can still leave the yard. Even when they hear dogs barking across the street they don't try to leave. Chase doesn't try to leave the front yard anymore( I think he decided he was too old to run off cause he used to). Missy won't leave the front as long as the neighbors dogs(the only time she's allowed in the front yard is when snow is on the ground cause she is having so much fun in the snow she's oblivious to the world around her.) I will never try to barrier train Missy in the front because my neighbors across the street hate our dogs :( and have threatened to shoot them before(my dad went off on them after they told this to me when I was little)
I do the threshold training like SD&B. The dogs have to sit behind this gold strip that separates the living room and kitchen. I'm working on doing this with the front door cause they bombard guest.

Honored Member
I haven't, the street I live on is way to busy and there is a park across the road that dogs often visit so I don't think the training would work that well.
And our front yard has no grass, just drive-way and garden around edge of drive-way and the path to the gate.

I've thought about training it for the front door, but the dogs don't rush out and Paris already tought herself the front door barrier.
I can walk down the path with the front door open and she wont go through unless I call her and even then she is reluctant without a leash on, but I think if a dog walked past she might break the barrier because I never actually trained her to do this. But I haven't tested it so who knows what would happen.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Door training is a bit different but sort of the same. I trained a default sit for my opening the door. Was so so easy to train that one, i just put him in a sit, and opened door 1 inch. If he broke his sit, door closes.
if he holds his sit, CLICK/TREAT, and advance along,
to door open two inches, five inches, etc.
AFTER Buddy mastered holding his sit for a fully open door, then i advanced along.

^THIS did not take long at all for my dog to "get"---is not a hard concept for a dog:)

to holding his sit to door opening after a doorbell or door knock;)
(more challenging for the dog):LOL:

to holding his sit for an actual human standing there,:ROFLMAO:
and so on.

FUNNY PART of that training, was, my dog barks and leaps around------- even when he SEES me knocking on the door!:ROFLMAO::LOL::rolleyes:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//" They can still leave the yard. Even when they hear dogs barking across the street they don't try to leave. Chase doesn't try to leave the front yard anymore"//

woah, that is awesome!!:eek: kudos, Southern Girl!!

64, that is adorable that your dog taught herself about the door!!!:LOL: Smart dog!!
This is so cool that so many ppl ARE working --or--- have worked on invisible boundaries of one kind or another!!!:D:) and so many ppl all doing so great at it!:D:)

Dogcrazy, did you do anything in particular to have Carmel NOT be sitting at right at edge of street for this cue? I'd rather Buddy was a few inches back up into the yard, too....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I'd like to teach also an invisible boundary to garage....maybe like SD&B has done with her kitchen.

Buddy often hangs out in the garage with the guys, and when door is fully open, it'd be so so cool if Buddy could learn you stay in garage no matter what goes by out there.......i guess i will save that one for after Buddy has mastered the edge of his grass.....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
yeah, my backyard IS fenced too,
but, my front yard is NOT fenced in...

btw, since i have quit working on the cement driveway,
Buddy seems to be really nailing this now that i am ONLY teaching him to stay on the grass. He's stayed on grass for a few passing dogs, as well, however,
these were all dogs he knows.
and so far, no bunnies, but, i would not trust this training to hold against a bunny....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i'm also doing a little better getting Buddy to understand
that he does not have to be right at edge of street,
that it is just fine if he is up in the grass,
even in middle of yard, is fine.

i must have made some mistakes at some point, that i mistakenly gave my dog the impression, he should be right on the edge of the street....