Ideas Needed For Things To Do On The Balance Beam.

Linda A

Experienced Member
No ideas...but that is really impressive!!!
Thanks! It is so much fun training him. He catches on soooo fast!! Two thoughts I have had are to try to get him to turn around in the middle of it and the other is to see if he will back across it.

Considering that the board is only 3 1/2 inches wide I imagine I will need to teach him to turn around on other things making them progressively smaller. Backing across it will take some serious rear end awareness! LOL!

Linda A

Experienced Member
Well done that looks great

Hmmmm how have you secured the board?? Think I may try making one for Bella
The stands, I guess you would call them, are kitty litter buckets. I used a utility knife to cut slots just large enough for the board to fit through. They are rather tight fitting. We started with the buckets closer together to make the walk a short one. By the end of the week they were walking the full length of the board.

Please take the weight of you dog into consideration when making one.

sara

Staff member
I have taught Oliver to sit pretty on the beam too! but instead of looking for other tricks,. I'm working on duration and a smaller board (with the end goal of having him balance on a broomstick)

His balancing tricks are at 2:27 in this vid

Linda A

Experienced Member
I have taught Oliver to sit pretty on the beam too! but instead of looking for other tricks,. I'm working on duration and a smaller board (with the end goal of having him balance on a broomstick)
Very cool! He's doing great! I've thought about a broomstick also. We shall see! LOL!

Mutt

Experienced Member
Looks very nice!
some suggestions:
lying down, side stepping with front legs up the beam, hindlegs up the beam (and side stepping), multiple beams and stepping from one to the other (making a square with them) and turning around when in the middle.

@sara
Wow a broom stick sure is thin and hard! May I ask how big Oliver is? I can't imagine teaching Mazzel this, I think it is anatomically impossible for him :ROFLMAO:

Dogster

Honored Member
Love it!!!! Impressive!!!!:D Royal reminded me of this dog:

How about kifting his paws on the beam? You can teach him to lift his left front paw and his right back paw at the same time (or his right front paw and his left back paw) kind of like a balancing act. :)

MaryK

Honored Member

Fabulous Sara!!!!!!!!:love: LOL Oliver has VERY good taste in reading, he knows exactly what to read and what to reject!
His sit/beg on the balance beam was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!:love:

Linda A

Experienced Member
Love it!!!! Impressive!!!!:D Royal reminded me of this dog:

How about kifting his paws on the beam? You can teach him to lift his left front paw and his right back paw at the same time (or his right front paw and his left back paw) kind of like a balancing act. :)
I saw the one of the dog balancing and sitting pretty on the rope. I followed the links to see him walking the length of the rope and the link to him learning to do this. Amazing!!

sara

Staff member
@sara
Wow a broom stick sure is thin and hard! May I ask how big Oliver is? I can't imagine teaching Mazzel this, I think it is anatomically impossible for him :ROFLMAO:
Oliver's not that big, he's only 35-40 lbs, and about the size of a Cattle Dog, or a shorter-bodied Border Collie. He's got a tough, wiry build and excellent balance, so it's easy for him :)

Mutt

Experienced Member
Oliver's not that big, he's only 35-40 lbs, and about the size of a Cattle Dog, or a shorter-bodied Border Collie. He's got a tough, wiry build and excellent balance, so it's easy for him :)
Mazzel feels a lot better about himself now :ROFLMAO:
He is 35 kg (according to google that is 77 lbs), he has the size of a female golden retriever.

sara

Staff member
Mazzel feels a lot better about himself now :ROFLMAO:
He is 35 kg (according to google that is 77 lbs), he has the size of a female golden retriever.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I also taught him to balance on a ball with his front feet, then to do the elephant trick on it, so he developed alot of core strength from that, so learning to balance on a small box, then the beam, was really easy for him :)
This is when I discovered his ability to balance... I was asking him to put his front feet on the post to pose, and he did this!!!

Mutt

Experienced Member
Nope that is definetely impossible for Mazzel (and I can't blame him :p).
But that is indeed awesome!
I have also taught Mazzel to balance on a ball with his front paws and he knows the elephant trick,
but that sure is a challenge! I hope to one day teach him to roll the ball forward with his front paws on it.