How To Train: Hand Stand (video)

Luckydogwhisperer

Great video! I'll be trying this with Lucky, and I'll let you know how it works for us. (Lucky is a 62 pound, 24-inch agility dog who is somewhat aware of his hind feet, but we're working on other tricks to increase that awareness, we'll probably try this trick in a few weeks) Thanks for the idea and great video!

Lucky

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i once read that this trick can be dangerous for some dogs' spines, so i never taught this one, cuz i am a bit of a worrywart about dog health:rolleyes: ....guess there ARE others who also feel it might be a bit risky for a dog's spine, or shoulders, if held in that position too long,
or, if dog is not a really fit, strong dog who is in good shape, etc.
http://agilityforum.agilityaddicts.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&p=47520

http://www.uniteddogs.com/en/forum/282/69764/doggy-handstands-walking-handstands-good-or-bad

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Any exercise like agility or frisbee work can be very taxing on a dogs muscles and bones which is why some people actually do stretching exercises with their dogs first.

With a proper warmup - handstands taught gradually should not cause damage to weight bearing joints...just like any athlete - if you tax the muscles - warm up and cool down properly to prevent injury...

MaryK

Honored Member
Loved the vid Cas is such a sweetie:D Thank you both for showing how it's done(y):D

Will try a bit later with Ra Kismet, he's already learning a new trick at present.

kcmetric

I really want to teach this trick but my biggest fear is that this trick would be unhealthy for his joints? It just... really isn't natural and looks like it puts a lot of strain. I know a lot of medium-large dogs are already prone to things like elbow dysplasia. Does anyone know otherwise or ways to ease stress on their joints for this one?

ETA:
Oh, I just read some of the previous posts on this page, I see I'm not the only concerned one.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I really want to teach this trick but my biggest fear is that this trick would be unhealthy for his joints? It just... really isn't natural and looks like it puts a lot of strain. I know a lot of medium-large dogs are already prone to things like elbow dysplasia. Does anyone know otherwise or ways to ease stress on their joints for this one?

ETA:
Oh, I just read some of the previous posts on this page, I see I'm not the only concerned one.
how big are your dogs(weight) I think it's a better trick for small-medium dogs. I'm teaching this to my 35pound dog.

kcmetric

My aussie is 60lbs and my portie will probably be around 50lbs. I think my portie has a better chance, much stronger and more flexible joints. I think Baby will just have to miss out on this one.

Dogster

Honored Member
I don't really feel comfortable teaching this to Shivon, I don't want anything to happen to her joints or bones (her legs are really thin) so I won't teach her this. But I will teah her how to back up onto many other things (such as books, maybe couch, chair...):)

MaryK

Honored Member
Dogster if you don't feel comfortable with this trick, then neither will Shivon. I agree with what you say. Not sure I'll teach Ra Kismet either, even though he can stand upright on his front legs with ease, the hand stand looks like it could be a real strain on a bigger dogs legs.