How To Train: Hand Stand (video)

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks' started by ginauk84, Jan 30, 2008.

1. dogcrazy Experienced Member

Thank you for the awsome vidoe

2. Dogster Honored Member

3. Luckydogwhisperer Well-Known Member

Great video! I'll be trying this with Lucky, and I'll let you know how it works for us. (Lucky is a 62 pound, 24-inch agility dog who is somewhat aware of his hind feet, but we're working on other tricks to increase that awareness, we'll probably try this trick in a few weeks) Thanks for the idea and great video!

KatieMarie and Dogster like this.
  4. KatieMarie Active Member

WOW! Amazing. What a great dog. Wish I knew what to do to get my dog to offer behaviors. :oops:
    Dogster likes this.
  5. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

i once read that this trick can be dangerous for some dogs' spines, so i never taught this one, cuz i am a bit of a worrywart about dog health:rolleyes: ....guess there ARE others who also feel it might be a bit risky for a dog's spine, or shoulders, if held in that position too long,
    or, if dog is not a really fit, strong dog who is in good shape, etc.
    dogcrazy likes this.
  6. dogcrazy Experienced Member

Handstand could be a dangerous trick especially to an inexperienced owner and their dog. I thought my dog very, very, very slowly and I only do it on a wall and ones a month or so.
    tigerlily46514 and Dogster like this.
  7. Pawtential Unleashed Experienced Member

Any exercise like agility or frisbee work can be very taxing on a dogs muscles and bones which is why some people actually do stretching exercises with their dogs first.

With a proper warmup - handstands taught gradually should not cause damage to weight bearing joints...just like any athlete - if you tax the muscles - warm up and cool down properly to prevent injury...
    MaryK, Dogster and dogcrazy like this.
  8. MaryK Honored Member

Loved the vid Cas is such a sweetie:D Thank you both for showing how it's done(y):D

Will try a bit later with Ra Kismet, he's already learning a new trick at present.
  9. doglover1234 Active Member

Amazing video!:D Can't wait to teach Murphy it!!:sneaky:
    MaryK likes this.
  10. boltandjenny Well-Known Member

Shes doing great! My Bolt can do a walking handstand :) If you have time you can check it out,
    MaryK, dogcrazy and Dogster like this.
  11. dogcrazy Experienced Member

Carmel also just learned the handstand today!!!
    Dogster, MaryK and southerngirl like this.
  12. southerngirl Honored Member

Please post a video:p

I just started teaching Missy yesterday. She's getting comfortable backing up onto a stack of books right now.
    dogcrazy, Dogster and MaryK like this.
  13. Dogster Honored Member

Yes, VIDEO!!!! I've been bugging Dogcrazy about it since she told me.:p
    southerngirl and MaryK like this.
  14. kcmetric Well-Known Member

I really want to teach this trick but my biggest fear is that this trick would be unhealthy for his joints? It just... really isn't natural and looks like it puts a lot of strain. I know a lot of medium-large dogs are already prone to things like elbow dysplasia. Does anyone know otherwise or ways to ease stress on their joints for this one?

Oh, I just read some of the previous posts on this page, I see I'm not the only concerned one.
  15. southerngirl Honored Member

how big are your dogs(weight) I think it's a better trick for small-medium dogs. I'm teaching this to my 35pound dog.
    MaryK likes this.
  16. kcmetric Well-Known Member

My aussie is 60lbs and my portie will probably be around 50lbs. I think my portie has a better chance, much stronger and more flexible joints. I think Baby will just have to miss out on this one.
    MaryK likes this.
  17. dogcrazy Experienced Member

Kcmetric, I think it will be okay if you teach your aussie and your portie on a few books or on something lower:)
    kcmetric and Dogster like this.
  18. Dogster Honored Member

I don't really feel comfortable teaching this to Shivon, I don't want anything to happen to her joints or bones (her legs are really thin) so I won't teach her this. But I will teah her how to back up onto many other things (such as books, maybe couch, chair...):)
    MaryK and kcmetric like this.
  19. MaryK Honored Member

Dogster if you don't feel comfortable with this trick, then neither will Shivon. I agree with what you say. Not sure I'll teach Ra Kismet either, even though he can stand upright on his front legs with ease, the hand stand looks like it could be a real strain on a bigger dogs legs.
    Dogster likes this.
  20. rose12345 New Member