How To Train: Hand Stand (video)

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks' started by ginauk84, Jan 30, 2008.

1. southerngirl Honored Member

Finally got Missy to back onto the wall, but with my help. Anyone have ideas how to build up her upper body(front legs) other than working on her handstand everyday?
    madeleine, MaryK and Dogster like this.

2. LarsAndJackson Active Member

Haha! That is so awesome! Nice 1.
    MaryK likes this.
  3. SarahtheSniper Well-Known Member

Your dog is really cute! :D
    MaryK likes this.
  4. CrisM Well-Known Member

Paige is adorable! And very talented!

Valentine and I are working on the handstand right now. This is the video I made for it a little while ago. She's a bit higher than this now, but she still has a ways to go.

5. MaryK Honored Member

Valentine is adorable, she's doing so well:D
  6. southerngirl Honored Member

Valentine is doing great.
    Yesterday Missy did a handstand on her own(no wall or help from me). It was only for a second or so, but I was so proud and gave her lots of treats.
  7. MaryK Honored Member

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's really awesome, Missy's such a beautiful gal, I bet you're proud of her and rightly so!:D(y)
  8. Petlawn Member

Nice video i tried this trick but My ABBY not following the instructions.. well give it try again lets see :)
    MaryK likes this.
  9. Dogster Honored Member

Woohoo!!! Yay Missy!!!!! That's fantastic!!!!:D
    MaryK and southerngirl like this.
  10. madeleine Experienced Member

That is great off Missy!!!! How long have you trained this trick?
    MaryK likes this.
  11. southerngirl Honored Member

I started teaching her this in September, but I did take a break from it so I've been teaching her for about 3 months. It is a hard trick because I started teaching her to back onto stacked books, than a mushroom chair, than my dresser(she couldn't use the wall at first because it was too slick), wall and now she is learning without any props. At first with the dresser I had to help her and same when we went to the wall. Now she has to build up her strength so she can do it on her own. Right now she is only able to get fully up every once in a while.
  12. madeleine Experienced Member

It does take a lot off time to build up those musscles. Good job though!!!
    MaryK likes this.
  13. southerngirl Honored Member

Here is a video on a training session of the handstand. She didn't do a full one this time.
  14. MaryK Honored Member

Missy is doing so well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) You can see she obviously knows what you want!(y) Just needs to build up the muscle memory a little more. Love the wagging tail.:love:
    Dogster, madeleine and southerngirl like this.
  15. southerngirl Honored Member

Yeah she's trying to get her legs up. Every once in a while I'll help her get all the way up and treat her to remind her what our goal is.
    Dogster, madeleine and MaryK like this.
  16. CrisM Well-Known Member

Good job!!!
    MaryK, southerngirl and madeleine like this.
  17. madeleine Experienced Member

Missy is doing great!
  18. Dogster Honored Member

Missy is doing very well!!!!!!:D She'll have a perfect handstand before you know it!!!:)
  19. fly30 Experienced Member

The first time we practices, Fly hurt her back. So I left this trick aside. After a while, she decided that trees were good support.
    [IMG]
    Jess99, Evie, MaryK and 3 others like this.
  20. Dogster Honored Member

That is soo CUTE!!!!:love:

(I didn't notice that Fly had brown fur behind her ears-adorable!!!:) )
    MaryK likes this.