How To Spot Great Dog Food

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
First of all, I want to say that I do not consider myself an expert in any way, but feel I know enough to post this thread. This thread is going to discuss how to choose a commercial dog food, not how to make homemade dog food, or how to choose/feed a raw diet. I do not know as much as I'd like to about raw or homemade, so I am not going to give any tips in that area--I do not feel I know enough to offer any opinion or advice in that area. Other members are more than welcome to comment with opinions or facts. :)
So here we go...

You've seen the dog foods at WalMart, Petsmart, PetCo, and various other pet stores. The dog food market can be so confusing--there are soooo many different brands, different varieties; how do you know what's good? And worth the money, of course. Well, I'm going to share a little on what to look for and what to avoid in dog food. Hopefully this will help you. :)

The following list is ingredients that give your dog food a +.
  • Fruits are a plus. Some fruits are very bad for your dog; others are very good. Whether or not absence of fruit should be a deal breaker is something you'll just have to do some research on. What I've found is people all seem to have their own opinion. Regardless, blueberries are a good fruit to have, if it has fruits.
  • Vegetables are something that some people disagree on. What I have found in my research is that vegetables are a plus, as long as they are not grains--especially corn. Many dogs are allergic to corn.
  • Look at not just which ingredients are first, but how often that ingredient is listed. For instance, let's say the first two ingredients on the label are Deboned Lamb, and Fish Meal, just for example. Then you have corn gluten meal...6 ingredients later you have whole kernel corn....a few ingredients later you have corn gluten...and so on...get the picture? Corn is much higher on the list than they make it seem. That food isn't really mostly meat--it's got a whole bunch of corn. If the first few(or several) ingredients are named meat sources, then that IS good, but you really have to skim over all of the ingredients to see just how much of it is actually the "good stuff."
  • Specifically named fats/oils, like canola oil, herring oil, etc...
  • GOOD sources of carbs: sweet potatoes and peas, just to name a couple. More info on good carbs can be found at some of the links listed at the end of this thread.
  • Mixed Tocopherols--to put it simply, these are completely natural preservatives.
The following list is things that give your dog food a -.
  • Many dogs are allergic to corn, wheat, or soy.
  • By-products of ANY kind. This is basically everything BUT the good parts of the meat. Lamb by-product, poultry by-product(POULTRY WHAT? Turkey gizzards? Turkey feet? Chicken feet? Quail genitals? What the heck is that???), etc.
  • Animal Fat--what the heck is this? What kind of animal fat? And what is it anyway? You don't have a clue.
  • The preservatives BHA, BHT, Ethoxyquin, Sodium Metabisulphite, TBHQ
  • If the only identified source of protein is a grain; no identified form of protein from a named meat source
The Protein Debate

Many people say that high protein diets can be harmful to your dog, but as far as I have seen, heard, read, and discussed with numerous vets--it's the TYPE of protein. The digestibility, how much protein is actually absorbed, etc, are all the deciding factors. So high protein, as far as I have learned, is not necessarily a bad thing so long as the protein sources are good.
There are other +s and -s; I am certain I have missed at least some, but these are the basic things to look for. Aside from this, you really just have to do some research if you really want to get specific. Here are some examples of good dog foods and not so good dog foods. There are good dog foods that are not incredibly expensive, believe it or not. Shop around--if you find something in your price range, read the ingredients. Don't be afraid to spend a little more--better foods typically mean you feed far less than that of a lower quality food, so you really aren't spending more. Sometimes, depending on the food, you're saving! Don't immediately turn down a food for the price--look at kcal/cup and feeding recommendations(which are often HIGHER than your dog may need). Remember, what goes in comes out....so if you're feeding less, you're cleaning up less!

(Responding with examples of good/bad dog foods! Too many characters, lol!)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Good Dog Foods--There are MANY. These are just some.
Innova Evo ~$15-60(depending on size of bag and retailer)
(This particular ingredient list is from the Herring and Salmon Formula. They have many other varieties.)
Herring, Salmon Meal, Herring Meal, Peas, Salmon, Eggs, Herring Oil, Pea Fiber, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Apples, Carrots, Cottage Cheese, Dried Chicory Root, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Minerals, Vitamins, Direct-fed Microbials ALL great ingredients. Any ingredients in black are not necessarily bad, I just don't have the knowledge to tell you if they are great or bad or just there.

Natures Variety Instinct ~$11-50(depending on size of bag and retailer)
(Ingredient list from Duck & Turkey Formula--they do have many others.)
Duck Meal, Turkey Meal, Salmon Meal, Canola Oil (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Tapioca, Tomato Pomace, Pumpkinseeds, Herring Meal, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Brewers Yeast, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Iodine Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Carotene, Folic Acid), Peas, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite), Sea Salt, Dried Kelp, Cranberries, Blueberries, Inulin, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Freeze Dried Turkey Hearts, Freeze Dried Ground Turkey Bone.

Orijen ~$16-70
(Ingredients from Adult Formula.)
Fresh boneless chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, fresh pacific salmon (a natural source of DHA and EPA), herring meal, sweet potato, peas, fresh lake whitefish, fresh northern walleye, chicken fat (naturally preserved with vitamin E and citric acid), chicken liver, salmon meal, fresh turkey, fresh whole eggs, fresh deboned herring, sun-cured alfalfa, salmon oil, chicory root, dehydrated organic kelp, pumpkin, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, saskatoon berries, black currants, choline chloride, psyllium, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, sea salt, vitamin supplements (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin C, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12), mineral supplements (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium), dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

Taste of the Wild--this dog food is a BARGAIN. Well priced, good food. ~$6-40
(Ingredients from High Prairie Formula)
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Not So Good Dog Foods

Science Diet(YES, Science Diet!) ~$10-60 for regular science diet formulas, upwards of $70-80 for prescription diets, depending on which one
Many SD Dog foods have CORN as the first ingredient. Read your labels. This ingredient list is from the Adult Advanced Fitness Formula.

Chicken, Whole Grain Corn, Whole Grain Sorghum, Whole Grain Wheat, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Brewers Rice, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Flaxseed, Iodized Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Lysine, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Calcium Carbonate, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Bil-Jac ~$15-50
This is from the Select Adult--it took FOREVER to find a COMPLETE ingredient list for Bil-Jac. Everything I found, except this, listed only "key ingredients." Talk about shady. If your food is good, you shouldn't be afraid to post the full list. This food is about as overrated and overpriced as they come, in my opinion.
Chicken By-Products (Organs Only including chicken liver), Chicken, Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses (DOG FOODS DO NOT NEED SWEETENERS!), Egg Product, Salt, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menaione, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, BHA (a preservative), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodine, Sodium Selenite.
**NOTE: Bil-Jac MAY have changed their formula in the last few years to get rid of the BHA. BUT, since I can't find an accurate, FULL list anywhere except the one I found, then I really can't say. Nonetheless, the by-products, sweetners, and corn still kill this food.

There are SO SO SO many others, both good and awful. Just read labels.
Remember to look within brands for different formulas--sometimes, they do have better options. Still, higher quality foods are often the better way to go, even on your wallet. Some lower end foods are just as expensive as the GOOD foods. So shop around and definitely check out what's in your dog food.
I hope this has been helpful and informative, and if anyone has anything to add, or if anything is inaccurate, feel free to respond!

Here are a couple of helpful links--by the way, most of these ingredient lists came from Dogfoodanalysis.com.

Dogfoodanalysis.com
Dogfoodproject.com--key things to look for

Will update with prices tonight.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hey TX_Cowgirl! What an excellent post (and quite lengthy I might add!)
My dogs used to constantly have diarrhea even on the most expensive kibble I could find. So a friend on mine suggested Raw Food, and I tried it a few years ago and I never looked back! My raw food comes frozen and has some vegetables mixed in it. I thaw a 5 lbs package and it lasts me 2-3 days. It's more expensive but at least I don't have to deal with wiping my dog's butt every time she comes back in the house and I think it's healthier. Anyways, that's my story.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Thanks Jean. ^^ It's a lenghty subject, lol! Any suggestions on shortening it and still getting the right info across will be appreciated. :D
Just noticed somehow the SD ingredients didn't make it in...??? If my computer cooperates with me I will get them added--wireless internet does not like storms. x-x
I personally feed a combination of raw and high-quality kibble.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I think your post is fine. It has a lot of info because you list the ingredients, and you even highlighted the good ones. Good job! I say leave it, it has a lot of value to someone trying to figure out what to feed their dog. I remember trying all sorts of different kibble. The most expensive kibble at my local pet food store made my Husky puke... Go figure. ;)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I think what made my current food combination a "WINNER" is when Zeke started actually getting excited about mealtime. He NEVER has cared for food, could care less about meals...would rather just play with his tennis ball. Now he's excited to get fed. :)

sara

Staff member
I am extremely careful with what I feed my dogs... I have 5 with all sorts of different dietary needs. Oliver is on straight Acana Pacifica. Acana is made by Champion Pet Foods, which also makes Orijen. The Pacifica is a grain-free fish formula, similar to Orijen 6-fish, however slightly less ingredients, and less protein. Scout and Zoe are on a mix of Acana Pacifica (scout cant have chicken) and, as both are older dogs and we battle weight issues with them, California Naturals light lamb formula. it's not grain-free, as I cant find any light grain free formulas... and they're both on the lowest amount of food we can give (1/4 cup 2x per day for 25lb dogs). Mouse and Boo are on a mix of Acana Pacifica and Natural Balance Vegitarian formula. Boo was overweight when he came to me, and needed to lose weight (worst thing ever for a dachshund!) Mouse has issues keeping on weight, so I'm hoping the extra bulk from the vegitarian food will help... the pure Acana wasn't working, my 8lb dog was getting double what my 25lb dogs were... and still not keeping weight on. but is doing great on the mix.

I'm going to be switching Scout and Zoe's lamb food to the vegitarian food, as California Naturals was just bought out by Mars corp. so the formula will change (and I dont like foods made by chocolate bar companies! LOL)

You did a great job explaining what makes dog food good or bad, and giving examples of it, TX! very good info for novices!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Thanks Sara! :)
I'm notoriously picky with dog food. My friend actually is going to pick up a dog from a shelter in New Mexico tomorrow, and last night he asked me to help him find a good dog food that he could afford. He joked to one of our other friends that I would probably read every label and then compare--ha, he was right. ^^

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Yup great reviews there. ^^ Really helped me decide which food I wanted to switch to a last year when I switched to what I'm on now.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
THIS LINK IS GREAT---Grab your dog food, a pen,
and take this 2 minute quiz to rate your dog's food===>

These next two, are also pretty simple:

this next one is simple, but, i'm not entirely certain it is being kept up to date anymore.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member

Dog food labels, and understanding what you DO want to see---meat by name, (like chicken, beef,) not the word “meat”, probiotics, meal<---partially dehydrated meat = "meal".

and Stuff you DON'T want to see,

like ---corn, cellulose<---that's cardboard, soy, wheat, flour, brewer’s rice,<---that is like peanut shells,
byproducts,<---that is like beaks and hooves,
animal digest,<---you do not want to know what that is!!!

etc,

Good list of what you want/don't want===>
http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/best-commercial-dog-food.html

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
also, beware, many "grain free" kind cost 2x or 3s as much but are chockful of POTATOS.......my dog can not digest that many POTATOS....
and nutritionally, potatos are almost identical nutritionally as oats or rice----but they will charge you tons for those potatos.

and don't let protein % on the pkg fool you, they include plant proteins too, even leather has proteins in it.........that protein % is NOT an indicator it is all MEAT protein being counted.

I use Chicken Soup for Dog Lovers Soul, and embellish it with 1/3 to 1/2 meat scraps. It's only a dollar a pound and lists 4 meats as first ingredients, very hard to find that,
and two of those meats are already in meal form,-->very hard to find that!!!
GOOD LUCK EVEYRONE, and if you are buying your dog food in a grocery store, is like 99% chance it is crapola.

Dogster

Honored Member
The dog food I have for Shivon is called LOTUS. It's the first natural dog food that she likes.
http://www.lotuspetfoods.com/
Here's the list of ingredients for adult chicken:

Chicken, Chicken Meal,Whole Ground Rye Whole Ground Brown Rice, Pollock, Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Pea Fiber, Soybean oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Pumpkin, Apples, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Spinach, Blueberries, Potassium Chloride, Olive Oil, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Garlic, Salt, Zinc Proteinate, L-Ascrobyl-2-Polyphosphate (a source of Vitamin C), Calcium Carbonate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Iron Proteinate, Chondroitin Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation soluble, Dried Lactobacillus lactis fermentation soluble, and Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation soluble, Inulin, Yucca schidigera extract, Dried Kelp, Niacin, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Rosemary Extract.

I don't know if you can find it in the US, but if your dog doesn't want to eat their food, I suggest you try it!:)
(I went through 10 different types of food before Shivon ate. For example Orijen, Halo, Acana, Fromm Family)

horsy

I would like to add, every dog is different and what food they do well on will differ. I spent ages being flummoxed by all the recommendations of foods that Diesel would do well on. Through trial and error, I found that he is allergic to ALL kinds of grains, except rice.

Quite a few of the more expensive foods I bought for him had barley in them somewhere which cause him to have sloppy stools, I finally settled on a rice and potato based food. It may not be the best in the world, but I can afford it, and he does well on it, is healthy and shiny , no more dandruff, no more runny eyes and no more sloppy stools! I spent so long feeling guilty that I couldn't afford the BEST foods. But it doesn't matter to Diesel, I've found the one that works for him. What I look at as well is the percentage of meat in the food. Yes his food had alot of potato and rice in it, but it also has 26% lamb. Compared to the cheap foods I looked at eg. pedigree at only 3% meat (THREE PERCENT! So whats the other 97%??!!) it's not so bad.

So what I mean is, whatever you feed your dog, just try and feet the best you can afford, and don't feel quilty if it's not listed as 5* quality on websites. You only have to look carefully at your dog to see if it's good enough for him.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Horsey is right, not everyone can afford a top-shelf dog food. Some ppl are feeding large dogs who eat a lot, or multiple dogs, which further adds to the stress on the wallet.

We all do the best we can. But, all dogs need meat. All of them.
It is possible to get a quality dog food
on a budget. It is.
but not in a grocery store, and not in Walmarts etc. Almost all, if not all, of those dog foods are bags of crap (many contain actual feces, :poop: which is labelled as "animal digest" on the bag).

But i disagree you can always tell by looking at a dog if he is eating right. You also have to factor in if he smells, or if he has bad breath, or gas, and how his energy level is. And still you could be unaware of what it is going on inside of him.
In USA, it is perfectly legal to use ingredients in dog food which are PROVEN to cause cancer. The dog might look great as he is eating the poisonous dog food, though.

I'd love to feed raw, but, we can't afford it, and for some reason, Buddy has aversion to most raw meat. Very difficult to get him to eat it, without putting peanut butter on it, and even then, he balks at it, and takes an hour to eat it, requiring much much ongoing encouragement to get him to even get near it. No idea what that is all about...

I use "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul" dog food, with scraps of meat on top. Whatever protein we ate, we rinse off spices and give some to Buddy, whether it is eggs, pork, chicken, fish, beef, deer meat, whatever meat we have, he gets some in his bowl, too.

"Chicken Soup" is not the best ever dog food, but it lists four (4) meats and meals on very top of list, hard to find in any dog food. I've only found one that lists more meats and meals on top of list. (meal is GOOD, if it lists specific meat, it is just meat which is already partially dehydrated)

It's not grain-free, but it has only quality grains, (not like, brewer's rice, etc)
and the "grain-free" kind have too many potatoes, gives my dog gas from allllll those potatoes. Plus, potatoes and oats or rice are very similar nutritionally anyway, so sometimes it seems like false advertising, "grain free" when it's full of potatoes! which are a lot the same as bread.

And it's got pro-biotics,
no carcinogens,
no byproducts,
no animal digest
no corn

AND IT'S ONLY ABOUT $1 A POUND if you get the largest bag. Still, it is a safe, poison-free dog food with lots of meat in it. It's rated A+ on the quiz below.

You can't always go by protein %, either, as in USA, it's legal to also count plant proteins, and even bits of leather, or beaks and hooves,
as "proteins" whether or not the proteins are digestible and usable to a dog.

Protein % is NOT the same as % of the bag which is meat. Any and all proteins are included, even if it is poop, leather, corn, ground up hooves and beaks, etc etc.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
HERE IS GREAT EASY CHEEZY WAY TO RATE YOUR DOG FOOD:

GRAB A PENCIL AND BAG OF DOG FOOD
AND TAKE THIS QUIZ:

(you might be shocked.:eek::sick::oops::(:confused: (n) ..but you have a right to know what you are feeding your dog)

Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product"-, subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source,subtract 5 points

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewerâ?Ts rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points​

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points​

8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 morepoints

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil,subtract 2 points

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isnt allergic to heat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isnt allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point​

(i myself think #6 and #8 are NOT penalized enough, should be 10 points off):cautious:
Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or[Ann W. Firestone] nutritionist, add 5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point​

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
69 = F

Here are some foods that have already been scored. .

Dog Food scores:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+​
Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F​
Canidae / Score 112 A+​

Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+
Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+
Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+
Foundations / Score 106 A+
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 B
Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D
Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+
Merrick's Grammy's Pot Pie / 125 A+
Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B
Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F
ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+
Purina Benful / Score 17 F
Purina Dog / Score 62 F
Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F
Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+
Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+
Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A
Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F
Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+
Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A​

Here's a longer list I found:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+
Bil-Jac Select / Score 68
Canidae-119 points A+​

Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+
Chicken soup-113 points A+
Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+
Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+
Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken-114 points A+
Eagle Pack Holistic: 119
Eagle Pack Large and Giant Breed Puppy: 94
Eagle Pack Natural: 94
Eukanuba Large Breed Adult: 83
Eukanuba Natural Lamb and Rice-87 points B
Flint River Ranch: 92 (non-specific fat source)
Foundations / Score 106 A+
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 A
Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73
Iams Lamb Meal and Rice-74 points
Iams Large Breed: 83
Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+
Natural Balance Duck and Potato-114 points A+
Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B
Nutro Natural choice Lamb and Rice-85 points
Nutro Chicken, Rice, & Oatmeal: 85 (non-specific fat source)
Ol Roy-9 points
Pedigree Adult Complete-14 points
Pedigree Complete Nutrition: 42 points
Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23
Pro Plan All Breed: 68 points
Pro Plan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+
Purina Beniful / Score 17
Purina Dog/ Score 62
Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16
Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+
Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+
Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A
Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63
Science Diet chicken adult maintainance-45 points
Science Diet Large Breed: 68 points
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69
Solid Gold Bison-123 points A+
Timberwolf Organics Lamb and Venison-136 points A+
Wellness Super 5 Mix Chicken: 117 points A+
Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97/ A​

horsy

But i disagree you can always tell by looking at a dog if he is eating right. You also have to factor in if he smells, or if he has bad breath, or gas, and how his energy level is. And still you could be unaware of what it is going on inside of him.
In USA, it is perfectly legal to use ingredients in dog food which are PROVEN to cause cancer. The dog might look great as he is eating the poisonous dog food, though.
That's what I mean, I don't mean just looking at the dog with your eyes, I mean looking at the dog as a whole, how his breath is, how his energy is etc, how he is in himself.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
True, true, but my last dog died of cancer, maybe in part because i fed him dog food i bought at grocery stores.
I didn't know any better at the time. It was expensive, heck, my vet even said it was good dog food, but now i know better. It was crap in a bag. Turns out, vets don't always know much about dog nutrition.
I still feel bad i did this to my own dog who i loved, fed him poisonous crap his whole life.

I still wonder if the dog sensed it was crappy dog food...i hope not. He still had a great coat even as he died, btw.

What i feed my current dog, costs way LESS than what i fed my last dog,
but it's still better dog food.
"Chicken Soup" brand is only about $1 a pound, if one gets the largest bag.

HOPE EVERYONE TAKES THAT QUIZ above, in post #18. It doesn't take that long really.

Anyone who is swapping out their dog's food,
should do so slooooowly, replacing only a few kibbles at a time, over a week or two.

Rapid swap outs of dog food can give many dogs loose stools, upset stomachs, etc etc.