Hello Everyone

toddandco

Hello. I have an 8 week old border collie (collected him 2 days ago). During the daytime he is an absolute pleasure to have around. He is doing quite well with toilet training, is eating well and follows me around everywhere. We have a crate but he will not enter it, except to eat. He cried (very loudly) the first night. The second night he cried and howled for most of the night and tonight the same. I have given in tonight as his noise indicated he was really struggling on his own - plus my neighbour constantly banged on the wall! I am posting at 2.45am! The first night Todd had his mattress in the cage to sleep on but defacated all over it. Last night and tonight he has a towel, blanket, teddy, chewing you and an old t shirt that I wore and put in his cage, hoping it may settle him if he could smell me. He has cried and howled from 10pm until now. I thought he would have worn himself out within the hour. Unfortunately he didn't! Any suggestions as to how I can settle Todd in his cage at night please?

running_dog

Honored Member
Welcome to DTA! I'm really glad you found us. Your pup is gorgeous :love:.

For your problem overnight you need to start thinking about it from his point of view and listening to what he is telling you.

Look at what he is doing during the day - he is following you around most of the time, that is because he needs you. He is insecure he has lost his family and he is all on his own. He's never had to spend a night on his own before and you can't just expect him to get the idea without you taking the trouble to explain it to him properly. You can't expect him to be cool with being separated from the only living breathing thing he still has left to call his own without you explaining to him that it is not forever. He only has 8 weeks of life experience to call on and he just lost his mum and siblings forever, what do you think he is thinking when you lock him in a crate and walk out of the room? I'm assuming you do walk out the room but I might be wrong, my apologies if I am jumping to conclusions.

Here is how you start training your puppy with the crate:

Where is the crate? You really need it to be in your bedroom and preferably beside your bed so you can touch him through the bars. Or settle him in the cage with the door partly open and your arm inside with him.
If you can't take the crate to your room what about putting a mattress by the crate and sleeping there, over a few nights as the pup is more settled move the mattress further and further away from the crate.

I don't know what your puppy potty regime is but just in case you are not familiar with the most effective way to potty train you need to be taking him out every hour during the day and every 2 hours through the night, he's only 8 weeks old! Set your alarm and take him out every 2 hours. Once that works without any problems for 3 nights then you can try every 2 1/4 hours through the night - no fuss no party just out to potty then straight back to bed. He's just a baby. If he messes in the house it isn't his mistake it is yours, and if he has to howl at night to tell you he needs to potty that is not his fault it is yours.

May I also suggest a box of chocolates and a really grovelling note of apology to your neighbour? Even if you have to have the puppy in bed with you you have to keep it quiet at night for the neighbour's sake.

toddandco

Hi Running Dog. Thank you for your reply. Todd is taken out every 3/4 hour to toilet when at home. He is also taken out for walks after every meal. Toileting is not really the problem, however I feel he defacates when he is upset (and frightened), which is understandable. Today he had breakfast. I took him for a walk - about 50 mins. He defacated whilst out - Good Boy :) Straight after I placed him in the car, thinking he would be tired after his walk and sleep for the journey - which was only 10 minute drive to the Pet Store. During the car journey he cried non stop and defacated again.

The problem I am having is he will not enter the crate of his own accord. His feeding bowl is in there. He has placed his two front paws inside the crate and stretch to eat. If I move the bowl further in Todd will make no attempt to reach it. He has already learnt the command "sit" and is happy to perform - except in the crate! His toys are in there. He wont even enter the crate to bring his toys out so I take the toys out and we play. Even if I place the toy just inside the crate, during play and when he is excited, he will not retrieve it. The crate is in the utility room - the furthest place away from neighbours! I have tried sitting right next to his cage with the door closed. He howls, whether I am silent or talking to him. With the door open he simply will not stay in there. He, along with his siblings, were crated at the breeders. I am unable to place the crate in my bedroom as there is not enough space.

If I leave the crate for the time being - until Todd has fully settled - and sleep downstairs on the sofa with him, will he be more amenable to the crate at a later date, or will I be setting a precedent? I stayed on the sofa last night. I didn't sleep at all as Todd found he had freedom and made the most of it - chewing furniture, electrical leads etc (The very reason I wanted to crate him). Three night with no sleep I am desperate! I saw neighbour this morning and apologised profusely! She is clearly not happy - Oops!

He follows me around everywhere. Even when he appears to be asleep during the day if I move he is instantly awake. I think he may have separation anxieties but I am clueless as how to manage it. All the books state "Start as you mean to go on" and "Make sure the pup knows who is Top Dog". Sleep deprivation is a killer!

running_dog

Honored Member
"Start as you mean to go on" and "Make sure the pup knows who is Top Dog". Sleep deprivation is a killer!
Starting with your last comment... there is a lot of rubbish written in books. He is just a baby, and very small baby who according to more up to date opinions on pups really shouldn't even be away from his mum yet.

It sounds like you are doing lots right (y). Sadly sleep deprivation and small puppies go together.

Have you looked at the videos? And have you got a clicker?

Clickers are awesome because once the dog understands what a click means (understanding takes about 5 minutes with most dogs I've worked with, you just ask for sit, when he sits click then treat) you can tell the dog exactly what you are rewarding it for.

Of course he won't enter the crate of his own accord, he been abandoned when he goes in his crate. He's not going to risk that happening again for a mere plate of food or a toy. Did he travel in a crate when you brought him from the breeders?

So at first ask him to stand at the cage door, click then treat. When he confident with this ask him to put one foot inside the crate and click then treat - he knows that he is getting a treat for putting a foot inside the crate. You repeat this until your dog is offering to put one foot inside and looking at you for a treat then you ask him for two feet, and so on. Don't ask him to run before he can walk, he's a baby, ask him for baby steps. Tie the crate door wide open so he can't get shut in at the moment. Use good treats at first, he's facing a terrible fear he needs to be rewarded highly. Later you can use his whole meal, clicking then treating each time he puts his feet inside. Can you take the top off the crate? Or take the bottom out? Stop it being so crateish.

With the car... again think about what happened when he got put in a car... he only has 8 weeks of experience and what does he know? He got put in a car and never saw him mum and siblings again. Of course cars are horrible scary terrifying things. Our pup Gus was terribly car sick with fear, my Mum did baby steps with him - starting with sitting with him in the car with the doors open while she ate breakfast every morning!

Same with leaving him alone. While he is busy with something else step out of the room and back in again. Build up really gradually like that.

What is his background and what kind of home did he come from? He might have separation anxiety but at this stage it could well just be that he is a bit fearful and insecure.

Now for short term practicalities...

At night the sofa is obviously not going to work if he is going to riot all night. Could you try to tire him out and then hold him until he sleeps? What about the kitchen? Can you and he bed down in there until he gets the idea that he is supposed to spend the night sleeping? Kitchens (and bathrooms) can usually be made really boring at puppy level and have limited chewing potential. What about a play pen? It might not have the nasty associations of the crate so he might settle better if you make a game of it at first. For example put some real meat just out of reach inside so he can't get it, when he's been trying to reach it for a while you might help him by lifting him in to get it and then lifting him out again as soon as he's eaten it. Try throwing toys for him then accidentally on purpose throw one in the play pen, I guess you might help him get it by lifting him in and then oh look you just dropped some meat there maybe. Reach in from outside with a tug toy. When he has a nap, put him in the play pen. That way the play pen is somewhere he wants to be rather than somewhere he feels confined.

As for whether staying with him is going to set a precedent that will stop you being able to crate train him in future I don't think so. He is only a baby. How many people start off with their baby sleeping in the same room as them? It doesn't mean that the baby will still be sleeping in the same room as mum and dad when they are all grown up!

Well done for facing your neighbour. Try adding the box of chocolates to the apologies :).

Hopefully some more people will be along with advice soon... pups are not really my thing but I thought I'd answer as you need all the help you can get before you have to face another night!

running_dog

Honored Member
Thank you again Running Dog. I have never used a clicker and don't want to start it until I know what I am doing with it. I hoping to join obedience class soon. Guess what? Todd is in the cage! Sleeping fast like the baby he is .
LOL, marvellous news, just him settling in then!

Clickers are not hard, you can't really go wrong as long as you:
a) Always reward the dog immediately after the click.
b) Only click when the dog is doing something you like/want it to do

You can read "Don't shoot the dog" by Karen Pryor as a pdf at the link I've given. Karen Pryor really brought clickers into dog training and the book is less about the method than about the thought process and potential of using clickers. I think it is worth reading.

Do make sure it is a positive reinforcement no pushing and pulling obedience class :)

toddandco

Oh well that lasted 5 minutes! but it was good while it lasted and its a start! He has gone back to sleep on my feet now. That's one way of making sure I don't go anywhere without him knowing I guess lol! Sorry Running Dog I got a bit excited there and didn't answer your question. No Todd did not travel home from the breeders in cage. He sat on my daughters lap in a blanket and slept all the way home - no sickness, restlessness - nothing. He came from a working farm (Not a puppy farm) and was raised in the farm house. Both mum and dad are working sheepdogs. Dad is from a different farm. Our kitchen is part of living room - open plan, so lots of nooks and crannies to explore when everyone else is sleeping, and not safe for a young pup to freely wander without supervision. I chose the utility room because it is smaller, more cosy (We have a couple of easy chairs and a coffee table there) plus has easy access to the garden. (For when I have to scoop and run ;) ) I think I will sleep (maybe!) in a chair in the utility room tonight with the cage door open and hope at some point during the night Todd will enter it. Here's hoping! :) Thank you for your advice :)

toddandco

Aw thank you Kassidy :) I see the beautiful Chloe is 7 years old. I bet she keeps you busy! Do you remember the puppy stage? Todd has boundless energy, even at 8 weeks old! I have walked his little legs off and he is still up for play on our return home. Please tell me they calm down a bit with age (But somehow I think that may be just wishful thinking!) :)

running_dog

Honored Member
I think I will sleep (maybe!) in a chair in the utility room tonight with the cage door open and hope at some point during the night Todd will enter it. Here's hoping! :) Thank you for your advice :)
Sounds like a good plan. Make sure the floor is as boring and uncomfortable (no cushions) as possible and the cage as as interesting and comfortable as possible - maybe tie a few chews/tug toys inside the cage but leave nothing outside.

As Todd's working bred he will probably be even more hyper than most border collies. Ours was a mutt border collie and he didn't show any signs of settling until he was three years old and he only slowed down then because he broke his leg. I don't envy you :LOL:.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Nothing to add either just wanted to say welcome. Todd is super super cute. I just adore puppies and BC's.
My Piper is a crate training failure. For a week straight I tried getting her to sleep in the crate at night with the door closed. I pretty much didn't sleep that week, so I caved in and she sleeps in my bed. She still pitches a fit when put in the crate home or not and not amount of ignoring, crate games, or anything has worked.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Aw thank you Kassidy :) I see the beautiful Chloe is 7 years old. I bet she keeps you busy! Do you remember the puppy stage? Todd has boundless energy, even at 8 weeks old! I have walked his little legs off and he is still up for play on our return home. Please tell me they calm down a bit with age (But somehow I think that may be just wishful thinking!) :)
Uh, sorry to say, Chloe didn't stop having that puppy energy till she was about 3. :p And she still continued to have a lot of energy after that. At 7 she is now starting to calm down a bit, but she still has plenty of energy. People who see her often think she is only 2 or 3 because she still has the energy of the average dog that age. :) That energy is so much fun to work with though, you'll have tons of fun with Todd I'm sure! Remember to exersize his mind just as much if not more than his body, doing hours of mindless running just builds his endurance, but training (whether it be basic obedience, tricks, agility, or whatever dog sport you may pursue) often exhausts dogs much quicker than physical exersize, plus it provides you with a better behaved dog that you can take more places and have more fun with. :D

toddandco

Sotherngirl Piper kinda looks like she is going to rule anybody's heart lol! She is gorgeous! :) I think I have abandoned the crate for now, at least until Todd feels comfortable with us and knows we will disappear at night but will be back in the morning. I caved last night and he slept on his mattress next to my bed. Woke at 3am. I took him our for toilet and we both went straight back to sleep. We are both much happier this morning :)

Hi again Kassidy. We went for a short walk after breakfast this morning. Definitely not mindless running lol! Todd has had only one inoculation to date and vet says its fine to take him out, provided I don't let him meet other dogs or take him where other dogs have "been". So we keep to paved areas, as opposed to grassed areas. Today Todd met some very nice "strangers" who made a fuss of him, joyously ttrampled through leaves and puddles and was mystified by birds. I think he was a little disappointed that they didn't hang around long enough for him to herd lol!

At home he has learnt the commands "come", "sit" and "down" - as long as I have a treat in my hand :) I cant wait to be able to take him to grass and see if he will still "come" when he is off the lead and there are more interesting distractions around.

So now he has learnt sit and down we are ready for another trick. I think we will have a go at "paw" next. Roll seems a little more difficult. Hope you are all having a good day. Todd is having a snooze so I am going to have a well deserved cuppa now. catch you all later. Thank you so much everyone for your advice.

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm glad Todd seems to be settling in a bit better now.

I don't see anything terrible about having Todd sleeping in your room. Zac sleeps in my room, he has a wooden cave sort of kennel/crate that I built in. I personally don't like the dog on my bed though I'll sit with him on his bed but it is personal choice and I honestly don't think it has any effect on how well you can train your dog if that is what is concerning you.

I'm not sure whether you are trying to say what I am reading you as saying about recall so I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding. Proofing commands has to be done by gradually adding distractions, not by practicing in the house and then rushing out to try it out off leash and with distractions - and for a puppy a single leaf blowing can be a major distraction. You either add a small distraction OR you try off leash not both at once. You have to take the time to explain the cue in every new place with what feels like every new leaf you meet :rolleyes:. You can do a lot at home to proof his recall and make outdoor recall much easier, for example
  • Will he call away from a toy?
  • Will he call away from his dinner?
  • Will he call away from yapping at the window when there's a cat in the street?
  • Will he call away from someone who is petting him?
  • Will he call away from answering the door when there is someone there?
  • Will he call away from someone offering him a piece of liver?
If he can do all these things then he MIGHT be ready for you to explain outdoor recall and outdoor distractions to him. I do like to have pups off leash pretty quickly (because leash training drives me insane) but the thing with pups is that mostly at first they will follow you around when they are off leash outside but this doesn't mean they will recall if there is a distraction there that you want to get them away from - and your recall cue is too precious to risk if you are not sure they'll respond.

MaryK

Honored Member
Sorry for the delay in replying, have computer download problems at present. Also apologies to everyone, liking takes w-a-y to long at present, so will 'like' once we're back to full speed in four days - partner over ran our limit and ISP has slowed us down :eek::mad:

Todd sounds like a typical, delightful bundle of puppy energy:D I too have a new puppy, rescued from a bad environment just 2.5 weeks ago when she was only six weeks old - it was take her then or the monsters were going to euthanize her because her hind legs were a bit wobbly - all she needed was massage, Reiki, loads of GOOD food and EXERCISE (shut up most of the day in a small bathroom with six others I'll leave you all to work that one out I don't need to say more)! Blossom (who will have her port folia up shortly) has also wondered why she's suddenly not with her siblings, even though Leaf my 'senior' dog (20 months old and still very puppy though a well mannered one I might add) has been wearing three hats (1) Playmate her fav. hat (2) training assistant which she takes very seriously and (3) Mommy hat, but not to the point where puppy can cuddle up something I was hoping would happen - it didn't - so I fully understand you're suffering from a typical 'new puppy Mom' complaint sleep deprivation:sleep::whistle::whistle:

I haven't crated Blossom, as we honestly do not have the room here for a crate. Actually, thanks to my partner, she started sleeping on our bed! Which meant, 1.a.m. up for potty, 3.a.m. up for potty 5.14.a.m. up and on my part - forget trying to go back to sleep again.

Everything Running Dog has said is so true. Puppies have to learn a lot in a very short time, not the least of which is being separated from everything and everyone they've known in their short little lives. That's very scary!!!!!!! Unlike human babies who under normal circumstances stay with their Mommies and Daddies, puppies don't usually know that joy. So, you are now her new "Mom" the one person she can now reply on NOT to disappear. Ooops I think Todd is a boy, sorry LOL with two girls in the house (four if you count my sybaritic cats) I forget there are boys - sorry Todd:D:giggle:

I would like to add though that at his age a 50 minute walk in one stretch, even though he doesn't appear tired, is a little to long. I would suggest breaking down his walks into shorter periods, just more of them, as he may appear not tired but watch him closely, he may be 'tired' but not giving in. For example: Leaf and Blossom play like crazy but......Blossom will start to get 'snarly/scratchy/irritable with Leaf (who could play all day she's a Kelpie X) that's the point I say "break" and take Blossom to her mat for a nap. Blossom is a Border Collie x Tenterfield Terrier so heaps of puppy energy too but as she's so very young not as much as a very healthy young Kelpie.

Congratulations on already training Todd, I always stress to people it's never too young to start with the basics, provided of course you use Positive Reinforcement training, which you are so BIG kudos there!(y)(y)

I think it was Kassidy who said to use mental stimulation, and I think Holly's Mom also made mention of same. They're both very right there, nothing like mental stimulation to tire out any dog, it's something which all dogs, young or old, need in their lives. There are special toys you can buy, usually quite expensive, but you can make toys if you're in any way crafty (you don't need to be a super genius or brilliant puppy isn't going to examine you craftsmanship) or you can also play games such as 'hide and go seek'. To do that 'hide' something, close by and easy to find at first, and then ask Todd to 'go seek' - you may have to help a little at first but he'll get the idea. Another thing you can do is build a mini 'agility course'. Don't rush out and buy loads of expensive equipment, he'll out grow it, but use what you have around the house or can buy very cheaply, A couple of plastic containers with a very light weight 'bar' across them (keep it very, very low you don't won't to damage young muscles or skeletal development) will make a 'jump' an old bicycle tire (they're not too wide) hung a tiny way of the ground can be the next 'obstacle' followed by a very low 'station platform' - again use something for the base and use a stable platform for the top. A short piece of wood with a base can be again a not long, teeter totter. A tunnel can be any fabric (NOT plastic bags for obvious reasons they're very dangerous for all animals) over hoops can make a short tunnel. A weave can be tomato stakes put in the ground. Don't expect your puppy will became an immediate Agility Champion, the idea behind having a mini course is to EXERCISE the puppy's MIND - get those little grey cells working, make them think and focus on you. And although I wouldn't worry too much about this, left hand side is the side you should be on with Agility work - but hey it's not a competition so don't be pedantic about that, just get Todd to ENJOY going over his little course.

Going to post this and continue on with some more, hopefully, helpful tips. Time to make a cuppa while the darned page reloads I hope!:whistle:

MaryK

Honored Member
Wow, page actually loaded pretty quickly yeah!

With clicker training, I've already started Blossom to know and work with a clicker. It's quite easy.

First step is to 'charge' the clicker. Just get Todd to be near you, don't ask for anything at all not even sit, then click and IMMEDIATELY treat - you really must click/treat immediately for Todd to fully 'get it' that a click means a treat. Do this about 10/15 times, depends on your puppy but with most puppies that's usually enough. Then, when you ask for sit, click/treat. At first reward IMMEDIATELY you click, you can start to space out the time between click and reward as Todd gets it but at first it's click/treat, so make sure you have loads of treats handy. Also, Running dog mentioned this, if you accidently click then you MUST reward - and it happens so don't beat up on yourself:)

Also, as Running dog has already posted, please DO NOT try recall in an open environment until you're 200% certain Todd will come immediately. As she has pointed out even a leaf can be distracting to a new puppy and what they will do at home in their familiar surroundings they usually will NOT do for a while when 'out and about'. Leaf, who's recall is awesome, was not allowed off leash on the beach last Summer at all. But now she's off leash and knows who wants to pat a pretty little girl who asks politely (four paws on the ground) who's off in their 'own space' - she walks away before she's even close to that person(s) and straight back to me, which dogs want to party, which don't, dogs on leash we don't approach (one dog off and one on not always a good mix) etc. etc. So, whilst yes it's great fun watching your dog run and play off leash, do hold on until Todd is really, really good at recall. Otherwise you'll have problems and have to start recall all over again, something you don't really want to have to do. It's always that much mpre difficult the second time around as they've got the idea that they can 'do what they want and not what you want' in their heads.

And when you do start off leash, please do NOT call Todd and immediately leash him when you're ready to leave. Call him back the moment he's free, reward, then allow him to run off again. Do this several times each time he's off leash and he'll know that coming back to you DOESN'T mean 'end of free play time'. Plus he'll get really good at staying close to you (although of course zoomies just maybe in order when first off leash, just call back when he's looking like he's tiring then send him off again). I always use a tip Running dog gave us when it's time to leash up - and that's the cue 'lead/leash time' together with an extra special treat, so leashing doesn't feel like 'end of play time' but more 'hey I get a very special treat time'. And I forgot, sorry a bit out of order here. Once he's confident off leash and will come back to you when called, always make sure, especially at first (that means a lot of outings not just one) that when he voluntarily comes back to you REWARD him - you don't need to click but do REWARD. Again this makes staying close you all the more exciting and rewarding, much better than all those distractions! Even now, though she's got a bomb proof recall, Leaf still is rewarded at times (not all the time now she's a big girly and knows her stuff) for coming back to me, especially if there's been a major distraction like those pesky seagulls! They just refuse to be 'herded'!

What you can do, once you're pretty sure Todd really has got recall, at first to test the waters is use a long training leash. Please make sure it's somewhere where the lead cannot get tangled around trees etc. (seen that happen and really scare a puppy) and also that Todd doesn't pull on the leash, call him back BEFORE he reaches the end of the training leash, not when he's at full stretch.

Also, I would start to train Todd with "look at me" - that's something which is so handy, especially with a young puppy or an older dog who's being re-trained. To do this hold a treat close to your eye (make sure Todd stays all four paws on the ground either sit or stand or drop will do so long as he's NOT jumping up for the treat) then say "look at me" and the nano second Todd looks at YOU click/reward. As with all teachings, some puppies will get it very quickly, others will take their time even if they've learned other tricks quickly. And as always work at the puppies pace not yours - patience is a virtue all dog trainers need in buck loads:rolleyes::D

Has Todd got his own 'mat'? It's a good idea to have a 'mat' (can be anything comfy) which Todd knows is 'his' mat. Quite easy to train this, just 'lure' Todd onto his mat, at the same time 'say go to your mat' and immediately click/treat even if he's only got one paw on 'his' mat. Rinse and repeat until all four paws are on the mat and 'sit' or drop as well. Very handy if you're out and about or on a trip, Todd will always know there's a 'special place' for him to chill out. Also handy, especially with an open plan living area, if he's worrying around at food prep time or with visitors.

Have you also considered Puppy Pre School? Or Kindergarten as some places call it. Usually your vet will run classes. They take puppies from 8 weeks old (who've had as had Todd their first injections) up until 12-16 weeks old, depending on the place. It's great fun for all but really is vital for a youngster's development as at that age they cannot fully intergrate with other dogs/animals due of course to their need for full immunization, but with other youngsters all around the same age they really do start to learn 'good manners' with other dogs.

I would also suggest, if you haven't already done so, studying Dog Body Language. Not only does it help with teaching your own little boy but helps you to know what other dogs are showing to the world, thus avoiding any potential 'troubles' which will not be of your making but there are people around who take dogs for walks who are, to be polite, not taught how to behave. So it does pay to be able to know what signals a strange dog is sending to your, well behaved, dog. And also, please don't forget YOUR body language! Dogs 'read' us extremely well, so we have to be aware of our body language. Frustrated at times? Normal! But if you do feel frustrated - walk away three deep breaths maybe end that teaching session and resume when you feel calmer! Because Todd will have 'read' your frustration like lightening and react accordingly!

Hope these tips have helped and please let us know how Todd is progressing. Puppies are the most delightful little souls and with the right teachings will be your best friend, companion and shoulder to cry on (if ever needed) you can have, they never let you down.

And pictures of Todd please, pretty please:D I'll check out the doggy thread later as you may already have written all about him, with pictures. Please accept apologies for any typos but 'Mommy's little helper" is awake, so I've one eye on Blossom and one on the computer:rolleyes::LOL:

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Wow, page actually loaded pretty quickly yeah!

With clicker training, I've already started Blossom to know and work with a clicker. It's quite easy.

First step is to 'charge' the clicker. Just get Todd to be near you, don't ask for anything at all not even sit, then click and IMMEDIATELY treat - you really must click/treat immediately for Todd to fully 'get it' that a click means a treat. Do this about 10/15 times, depends on your puppy but with most puppies that's usually enough. Then, when you ask for sit, click/treat. At first reward IMMEDIATELY you click, you can start to space out the time between click and reward as Todd gets it but at first it's click/treat, so make sure you have loads of treats handy. Also, Running dog mentioned this, if you accidently click then you MUST reward - and it happens so don't beat up on yourself:)

Also, as Running dog has already posted, please DO NOT try recall in an open environment until you're 200% certain Todd will come immediately. As she has pointed out even a leaf can be distracting to a new puppy and what they will do at home in their familiar surroundings they usually will NOT do for a while when 'out and about'. Leaf, who's recall is awesome, was not allowed off leash on the beach last Summer at all. But now she's off leash and knows who wants to pat a pretty little girl who asks politely (four paws on the ground) who's off in their 'own space' - she walks away before she's even close to that person(s) and straight back to me, which dogs want to party, which don't, dogs on leash we don't approach (one dog off and one on not always a good mix) etc. etc. So, whilst yes it's great fun watching your dog run and play off leash, do hold on until Todd is really, really good at recall. Otherwise you'll have problems and have to start recall all over again, something you don't really want to have to do. It's always that much mpre difficult the second time around as they've got the idea that they can 'do what they want and not what you want' in their heads.

And when you do start off leash, please do NOT call Todd and immediately leash him when you're ready to leave. Call him back the moment he's free, reward, then allow him to run off again. Do this several times each time he's off leash and he'll know that coming back to you DOESN'T mean 'end of free play time'. Plus he'll get really good at staying close to you (although of course zoomies just maybe in order when first off leash, just call back when he's looking like he's tiring then send him off again). I always use a tip Running dog gave us when it's time to leash up - and that's the cue 'lead/leash time' together with an extra special treat, so leashing doesn't feel like 'end of play time' but more 'hey I get a very special treat time'. And I forgot, sorry a bit out of order here. Once he's confident off leash and will come back to you when called, always make sure, especially at first (that means a lot of outings not just one) that when he voluntarily comes back to you REWARD him - you don't need to click but do REWARD. Again this makes staying close you all the more exciting and rewarding, much better than all those distractions! Even now, though she's got a bomb proof recall, Leaf still is rewarded at times (not all the time now she's a big girly and knows her stuff) for coming back to me, especially if there's been a major distraction like those pesky seagulls! They just refuse to be 'herded'!

What you can do, once you're pretty sure Todd really has got recall, at first to test the waters is use a long training leash. Please make sure it's somewhere where the lead cannot get tangled around trees etc. (seen that happen and really scare a puppy) and also that Todd doesn't pull on the leash, call him back BEFORE he reaches the end of the training leash, not when he's at full stretch.

Also, I would start to train Todd with "look at me" - that's something which is so handy, especially with a young puppy or an older dog who's being re-trained. To do this hold a treat close to your eye (make sure Todd stays all four paws on the ground either sit or stand or drop will do so long as he's NOT jumping up for the treat) then say "look at me" and the nano second Todd looks at YOU click/reward. As with all teachings, some puppies will get it very quickly, others will take their time even if they've learned other tricks quickly. And as always work at the puppies pace not yours - patience is a virtue all dog trainers need in buck loads:rolleyes::D

Has Todd got his own 'mat'? It's a good idea to have a 'mat' (can be anything comfy) which Todd knows is 'his' mat. Quite easy to train this, just 'lure' Todd onto his mat, at the same time 'say go to your mat' and immediately click/treat even if he's only got one paw on 'his' mat. Rinse and repeat until all four paws are on the mat and 'sit' or drop as well. Very handy if you're out and about or on a trip, Todd will always know there's a 'special place' for him to chill out. Also handy, especially with an open plan living area, if he's worrying around at food prep time or with visitors.

Have you also considered Puppy Pre School? Or Kindergarten as some places call it. Usually your vet will run classes. They take puppies from 8 weeks old (who've had as had Todd their first injections) up until 12-16 weeks old, depending on the place. It's great fun for all but really is vital for a youngster's development as at that age they cannot fully intergrate with other dogs/animals due of course to their need for full immunization, but with other youngsters all around the same age they really do start to learn 'good manners' with other dogs.

I would also suggest, if you haven't already done so, studying Dog Body Language. Not only does it help with teaching your own little boy but helps you to know what other dogs are showing to the world, thus avoiding any potential 'troubles' which will not be of your making but there are people around who take dogs for walks who are, to be polite, not taught how to behave. So it does pay to be able to know what signals a strange dog is sending to your, well behaved, dog. And also, please don't forget YOUR body language! Dogs 'read' us extremely well, so we have to be aware of our body language. Frustrated at times? Normal! But if you do feel frustrated - walk away three deep breaths maybe end that teaching session and resume when you feel calmer! Because Todd will have 'read' your frustration like lightening and react accordingly!

Hope these tips have helped and please let us know how Todd is progressing. Puppies are the most delightful little souls and with the right teachings will be your best friend, companion and shoulder to cry on (if ever needed) you can have, they never let you down.

And pictures of Todd please, pretty please:D I'll check out the doggy thread later as you may already have written all about him, with pictures. Please accept apologies for any typos but 'Mommy's little helper" is awake, so I've one eye on Blossom and one on the computer:rolleyes::LOL:
Mary!! You got a new puppy?! That's so exciting!! You definetly have to make a thread all about her soon! :D How are her and Leaf getting along? (And pictures pictures pictures please! :p )

toddandco

Wow! Mary That's is so helpful. It is going to take me a while to get through it all but WOW! You have definitely given me some food for thought :) When I say I take Todd for a 50 min walk, he is not walking all the time HONEST! Lol! I usually walk to a friends home, stopping every 10 mins or so for a rest. And the same on the return walk.

I am loving the idea of home made agility course. My 13 year old daughter will be so helpful (and it will give her some quality time with Todd too)

I am hoping to get some information from the Vet tomorrow re Puppy Classes in our area. I am definitely going to sign up for that.

I introduced a clicker yesterday. Todd seems to be taking to it. He has learnt to retrieve a ball now :) - I will upload a video of his tricks to date this evening when my daughter gets in. Then, hopefully you and Running Dog can let me know if I am doing it right - or not. One question is when Todd has learnt a trick do I still need to give him a treat EVERY time he does it or can I only treat every now and again? I don't want to confuse him. Oops another question - Todd has starting catching hold of my hand, with his teeth, whenever we are playing. I appreciate he is only a puppy and puppies tend to chew when excited but it HURTS!! Please can you advise me on a way to stop this? I usually let out a yell, fold my arms and turn away from him. This does calm him down - until the next time I get on the floor with him.

Please Mary post some pics of your little girls