Glass Walls - Slaughter Houses

bekah1001

Honored Member
You really need to watch Earthlings, it is an amazing documentary. I had to choose a movie or a song about a social issue and I chose to do one about animals. I watched the whole documentary... without turning away. It was really hard, I cried through most of it. Shocking how humans are capable or doing such horrid things.

I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I'm planning on eating one vegetarian meal a week, free run chicken eggs, and getting beef from a local farm, that feeds their free range cows grass free from hormones and chemicals.

I'm disgusted by soy products. (tried soy yogurt once, it tasted like play-dough :sick:) Plus meat tastes good and is my main source of protein.

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm disgusted by soy products. (tried soy yogurt once, it tasted like play-dough :sick:) Plus meat tastes good and is my main source of protein.
I am vegetarian but I HATE soy products, the milk is vile and yes the yoghurt does taste exactly like play-dough!

Evie

Experienced Member
Just curious how people here justify being vegetarian themselves, or trying to be, but then still feed meat to their dogs? You realise that the animals are being slaughtered in the same way for dog food too right?

I made it about 30 seconds into that video and refused to watch any more... I'm not a vegetarian, but where possible I try to buy free range, and I'm glad that there are very strict regulations in Australia about how our 'meat' is being killed. It's still far from perfect, but it's considerably better than most places.

On a semi-related note; ever wondered to what happens to the millions of horses in the racing industry who don't make it as successful race horses? Well I can tell you right now that they don't get to live out the rest of their days grazing in big paddocks. The lucky ones get re homed but the majority of race horses end up in slaughter houses. Although it's illegal to eat horse in Australia, it's not illegal for our dogs too, and it's not illegal to once again export it live (or dead) for consumption over seas. When I was doing year 12 at school I did a paper on the racing industry and came across this video, but once again, I doubt most of you will make it through it as it's horrible :(

Gracegeorgina

Experienced Member
Vegan dog biscuits are good! If you go on thekindlife.com there is a forum about vegan dog foods...
As for race horses, we actually have a former race horse (6 years old) who was too slow... Around here they are usually given away if not sent to slaughter. We have a friend who is a race horse trainer down in Pau, and were fortunate enough to visit his yard.. He DEEPLY cared for his horses and they were well looked after.. He had one who was too slow but hadn't given him away because he cared about him too much, he was one of the most gentle colts I have ever met! He offered him to us as all he cared about was that he got a good home (though we didn't end up getting him). So I think it depends on the trainers.. I had to do a school report on the horse meat scandal, and it's true that it was most likely race horses used :(
My mum used to event and now we are turning a race horse into a competition horse for the two of us, so I wish more people would do this as Red is one of the most gentle horses you could ever meet :)

bekah1001

Honored Member
Just curious how people here justify being vegetarian themselves, or trying to be, but then still feed meat to their dogs? You realise that the animals are being slaughtered in the same way for dog food too right?
I was thinking about that too. I know Acana and the Honest Kitchen uses free range meat so they are not forced to live in small cages their entire lives. I don`t think eating meat is wrong, it`s only natural for a carnivorous animal to kill another animal for meat but when humans confine the animals to small cages with no vet care, and abused before they are brutally killed is disgusting. I really wish it were different.
[/quote]

MaryK

Honored Member

I made it about 30 seconds into that video and refused to watch any more... I'm not a vegetarian, but where possible I try to buy free range, and I'm glad that there are very strict regulations in Australia about how our 'meat' is being killed. It's still far from perfect, but it's considerably better than most places.

On a semi-related note; ever wondered to what happens to the millions of horses in the racing industry who don't make it as successful race horses? Well I can tell you right now that they don't get to live out the rest of their days grazing in big paddocks. The lucky ones get re homed but the majority of race horses end up in slaughter houses. Although it's illegal to eat horse in Australia, it's not illegal for our dogs too, and it's not illegal to once again export it live (or dead) for consumption over seas. When I was doing year 12 at school I did a paper on the racing industry and came across this video, but once again, I doubt most of you will make it through it as it's horrible :(

I've be working to help the appalling treatment of ex race horses for ages. Also on the export of live animals, which I must say Australia does NOT have a very good record on, the vids I've seen are horrific! And the government doesn't seem to care, although the member for my area IS one who cares and has really campaigned hard on the live export business.

Unfortunately, despite strict laws, animals within Australia animals are not always killed humanly either, case just recently about that too.

MaryK

Honored Member
I've been looking very closely into feeding my animals on a vegetarian diet, and am going to change over, as I know what goes into the dog/cat food.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Food Inc is a great documentary with information about factory farms, and it's available on Netflix!

I eat meat, I'm too much of a picky eater to be a vegetarian. I have a shirt that says 'Meat is Murder, tasty tasty murder' It's pretty much true. :p

There are farms that do raise their animals humanely. It's hard for many people to buy from them because their meat is so much more expensive.

My mom is a vegetarian, and she actually slaughtered our turkey!! (My dad couldn't do it.) She has no problem with us or anyone else eating meat just as long as it is raised humanely. Since money is tight right now, we have been buying meat from the grocery store, and I feel soo guilty...

I didn't hate PETA or anything until they started saying Pokemon is like dog fighting... I think it's completely ridiculous! For 3 years Shiloh was my Pokemon companion. I never once even thought of making her fight even an imaginary Pokemon... My mom says I've been playing Pokemon since I was 4, I've pretty much been playing the video games my whole life, and I'm not a crazed dog fighting maniac! Sorry for the rant! It just really bothers me.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I watched the Earthlings I didn't go any further than the pigs part it was to sad and gruesome. :censored:
Personally I HATE PETA. They are so stupid. I used to like them but than I figured out they don't want pets to exist they say it's cruel, that we make them helpless and blah blah blah. I've also herd of stories of them cruelly killing dogs and cats.

Gracegeorgina

Experienced Member
This is probably off topic.... But one thing I don't understand is that organisations promote adoption, and say that buying a dog is killing others etc.. But why don't they just say 'don't dump your dog'?