Game: Guess The Breed

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Actually, Mary, there is no wolf in the Saarloos anymore. Wolfs and german shepherds were used to start the breed, but since then there has been no use of wolfs. So it is not a hybride or a cross. It is a breed that looks like a wolf and is close to the wolf in charater, but it is a dog. Not an easy dog, certainly not for everyone. But to show that they are very trainable: they have been used as seeing-eye dogs for the blind in the past. And as guarddog. But now they are just familydogs, not a workingbreed. ;)
I'll have a look around to see what I will choose...
I did not realise they had been used for seeing-eye dogs, that is really interesting!

MaryK

Honored Member
Actually, Mary, there is no wolf in the Saarloos anymore. Wolfs and german shepherds were used to start the breed, but since then there has been no use of wolfs. So it is not a hybride or a cross. It is a breed that looks like a wolf and is close to the wolf in charater, but it is a dog. Not an easy dog, certainly not for everyone. But to show that they are very trainable: they have been used as seeing-eye dogs for the blind in the past. And as guarddog. But now they are just familydogs, not a workingbreed. ;)
I'll have a look around to see what I will choose...
Thank you Anneke for putting me right, appreciate that so much:)

I adore wolves, actually met one once in person. He was the companion of an Indian Chief, forget which tribe. So beautiful but very shy, though he did respond to me, which surprised his owner.

I'd love a Saarloos, they sound wonderful. But, I have two wonderful dogs whom I adore, so I am content.:D

MaryK

Honored Member
I think they are gorgeous dogs... Never seen one in 'real life' though but there is a dog we walk with sometimes that is similar looking... It has no wolf in it and is a permutation of german shepherd. Everyone we meet when I walk with them think it is a wolf but he is the softest most playful dog. I will have to take a pic to show you.
Same here, they're totally gorgeous and a breed which combines my two fav. breeds wolf/shepherd (though I also adore my Kelpie gal and Blue Heeler they're breeds are now also favs - does it ever end:rolleyes: ). I've never seen one in 'real life', I don't think there are any here and I never saw one back home either.

Oh do take a picture would love to see him, he sounds just adorable!:D

elissa

There's a man in town here who has a pet wolf... The thing is enormous but quite soft.. Although I do cross the street if I have Chewie with me and I see him... Not taking any chances, she'd be like a pre-dinner snack to him!! He's gorgeous though. It's not that uncommon here, I'm told. There's a family that have been breeding wolves as pets for generations who live up in the mountains.

Anneke

Honored Member
There is a research centre here, that has a pack in captivity(all born in captivity) where you can go and do an excursion. You get information with movies AND you get to go in with the pack. I really want to do this one day!
We haven't had any wild wolves here in the Netherlands for centuries, but there are some in Germany. And so exciting!, there have been sightings of a lone wolf at the borders. So it might be that we will be having wild wolves again.
I'm not sure what to think of it. While it is wonderfull that we apparantly have a good habitat for them, we are a small crowded country. I think the farmers might not be very pleased with the wolf, as they are not likey to stick to wild game for a diët. It much easier to grab a cow or sheep from a meadow. So it is very contraversial out here.

MaryK

Honored Member
There's a man in town here who has a pet wolf... The thing is enormous but quite soft.. Although I do cross the street if I have Chewie with me and I see him... Not taking any chances, she'd be like a pre-dinner snack to him!! He's gorgeous though. It's not that uncommon here, I'm told. There's a family that have been breeding wolves as pets for generations who live up in the mountains.
How lovely:) The one I got to meet was also very soft, and a perfect gentleman too. But I don't blame you for not taking any chances with Chewie, she may prove too big a temptation:eek:

They don't have wolves here, but I've heard they are trying to reintroduce them into the wild back home, well Scotland any way, in the Cairngorms. Would love to have a wolf awesome!

MaryK

Honored Member
There is a research centre here, that has a pack in captivity(all born in captivity) where you can go and do an excursion. You get information with movies AND you get to go in with the pack. I really want to do this one day!
We haven't had any wild wolves here in the Netherlands for centuries, but there are some in Germany. And so exciting!, there have been sightings of a lone wolf at the borders. So it might be that we will be having wild wolves again.
I'm not sure what to think of it. While it is wonderfull that we apparantly have a good habitat for them, we are a small crowded country. I think the farmers might not be very pleased with the wolf, as they are not likey to stick to wild game for a diët. It much easier to grab a cow or sheep from a meadow. So it is very contraversial out here.
I'd LOVE that! Sure hope you get to go Anneke. And if you do, expect videos of course:)

It's the same back home, no wolves for a couple of centuries, the Victorians killed them all. But as I said before, I believe there is a plan to re-introduce them into the Cairngorms in Scotland, because by killing all the wolves the eco-system has been severely damaged.

With sightings of lone Wolves in Germany, very good chance you'll have wolves again in the Netherlands - and they won't need a passport either to cross the border. That's really exciting news!:)

You'd have the same problem as in Britain, the farmers object to having wolves re-introduced,re-introduction is of course very controversial. But the deer population is increasing to such a great extent that many are dying of hunger during the long winters. In the past of course, the wolves kept the deer population in check. Now they have to cull the deer.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I'd LOVE that! Sure hope you get to go Anneke. And if you do, expect videos of course:)

It's the same back home, no wolves for a couple of centuries, the Victorians killed them all. But as I said before, I believe there is a plan to re-introduce them into the Cairngorms in Scotland, because by killing all the wolves the eco-system has been severely damaged.

With sightings of lone Wolves in Germany, very good chance you'll have wolves again in the Netherlands - and they won't need a passport either to cross the border. That's really exciting news!:)

You'd have the same problem as in Britain, the farmers object to having wolves re-introduced,re-introduction is of course very controversial. But the deer population is increasing to such a great extent that many are dying of hunger during the long winters. In the past of course, the wolves kept the deer population in check. Now they have to cull the deer.
That is the same argument in Britain... unfortunately.

Honored Member
It's a Mudi again I think.
If it is then maybe Anneke should pick a new breed since we have had that one already.

Anneke

Honored Member
Oops, messed up! You're right 648117. Wanted to post this one, then saw it had already been used, then wanted to post another, but didn't copy the link so( for the second time) pasted the link that was copied last :oops::oops:
Hang on, the right one is coming!!!

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh dear LOL it's buried somewhere in the back of my mind, just cannot seem to bring the breed to the fore! Looks familiar will have to sleep on it! Small breed of dog - eeek driving me mad now!!!!!!

Honored Member
You guessed it, 648117!! It's your turn!
View attachment 2924
Pyrenean shepherd. I am sooo in love with these little fireballs! Maybe in the future I will be able to own one...
I think there is one in NZ. Well, there is at least one, I really think it is the only one though (I saw an article about it that said its owner imported it, maybe when they moved here or something). Anyway, I have seen this one NZ pyrenean shepherd, it does agility, it's owners travel for shows (they have a trailer full of dogs) so although it lives in another city I have seen it. Although not actually doing agility (I always seem to miss it) I have seen it in its trailer. Pretty cute.