Game: Guess The Breed

Discussion in 'Dog Breeds' started by southerngirl, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Ripleygirl Experienced Member

Is it a young Beauceron?
    MaryK and running_dog like this.

2. running_dog Honored Member

I can't think of any that fit at all, Rottie, dobe, and dachs have wrong ears, this almost looks like a border collie ear, everything seems to look border collie to me LOL.
    MaryK and Ripleygirl like this.
  3. running_dog Honored Member

Could be :cool:
  4. 648117 Honored Member

Yeah, it's a Beauceron:

[IMG]

At least I didn't use a picture of a merle one :LOL:, I think their ears are pretty unique when combined with the black and tan, but I guess you could be tripped up if you have only seen pictures of them with cropped ears.
    Ripleygirl, running_dog and MaryK like this.
  5. MaryK Honored Member

Missed so much of this competition due to ISP problems. Looking forward to seeing the next dog breed challenge. This is fun! Great idea Danielle
    running_dog likes this.
  6. southerngirl Honored Member

Ripleygirl you won so you get to post the next breed.:)
  7. Ripleygirl Experienced Member

I love their ears! I don't get the whole ear cropping thing...
  8. Ripleygirl Experienced Member

Ok - here the next one...
    [IMG]
    Good luck!
  9. running_dog Honored Member

I've never seen one, only ever heard of them on here.
    Totally don't get WHY dogs ears would ever be cropped. Glad it doesn't happen in the UK.
  10. running_dog Honored Member

I'm hopeless at this :eek:
    Sheltie? Wolf?
    So glad that this one doesn't look like a Border Collie to me... though come to think of it... :LOL:
    Ripleygirl and MaryK like this.
  11. Anneke Honored Member

Czechoslovakian wolfdog???
  12. MaryK Honored Member

I'm with you running dog. I just don't get it at all why dogs ears are cropped. It's illegal here too!
    Ripleygirl likes this.
  13. MaryK Honored Member

Oh dear, looks like a Wolf to me. Trying to think of wolf like dogs minds gone blank. German Shepherd?? Nope wrong color. Going to 'cheat' and google on this one. :rolleyes:
  14. Ripleygirl Experienced Member

Close but no cigar...! ;)
    MaryK likes this.
  15. 648117 Honored Member

Utonagan?
    MaryK likes this.
  16. Anneke Honored Member

Saarloos wolfhound?
    MaryK likes this.
  17. Ripleygirl Experienced Member

We have a winner..!
    [IMG]
    Well done Anneke. (y)

Looking forward to your posting of the next one...
    MaryK and Anneke like this.
  18. MaryK Honored Member

Congratulations Anneke!:)(y)

What a beautiful dog, I've never seen one before.

Hey Running Dog we were half right, we got the 'wolf' part right:rolleyes::confused:

Just googled to find out more about the breed. LOL no wonder Anneke got it right, they're from the Nederlands.:D;)

Doubt they'd be allowed into this country, being part wolf, which is a shame. I kept thinking that tiny piece of photo looked like a German Shepherd in Wolf's 'clothing' - and I didn't know they were bred as a cross between those two breeds.

This is a fun competition and we all learn something too.:)
    Ripleygirl likes this.
  19. Anneke Honored Member

Actually, Mary, there is no wolf in the Saarloos anymore. Wolfs and german shepherds were used to start the breed, but since then there has been no use of wolfs. So it is not a hybride or a cross. It is a breed that looks like a wolf and is close to the wolf in charater, but it is a dog. Not an easy dog, certainly not for everyone. But to show that they are very trainable: they have been used as seeing-eye dogs for the blind in the past. And as guarddog. But now they are just familydogs, not a workingbreed. ;)
    I'll have a look around to see what I will choose...
  20. Ripleygirl Experienced Member

I think they are gorgeous dogs... Never seen one in 'real life' though but there is a dog we walk with sometimes that is similar looking... It has no wolf in it and is a permutation of german shepherd. Everyone we meet when I walk with them think it is a wolf but he is the softest most playful dog. I will have to take a pic to show you.
    MaryK likes this.