Game: Guess The Breed

Honored Member
Yeah, it's a Beauceron:

At least I didn't use a picture of a merle one :LOL:, I think their ears are pretty unique when combined with the black and tan, but I guess you could be tripped up if you have only seen pictures of them with cropped ears.

MaryK

Honored Member
Missed so much of this competition due to ISP problems. Looking forward to seeing the next dog breed challenge. This is fun! Great idea Danielle

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Yeah, it's a Beauceron:

At least I didn't use a picture of a merle one :LOL:, I think their ears are pretty unique when combined with the black and tan, but I guess you could be tripped up if you have only seen pictures of them with cropped ears.
I love their ears! I don't get the whole ear cropping thing...

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh dear, looks like a Wolf to me. Trying to think of wolf like dogs minds gone blank. German Shepherd?? Nope wrong color. Going to 'cheat' and google on this one. :rolleyes:

MaryK

Honored Member
Congratulations Anneke!:)(y)

What a beautiful dog, I've never seen one before.

Hey Running Dog we were half right, we got the 'wolf' part right:rolleyes::confused:

Just googled to find out more about the breed. LOL no wonder Anneke got it right, they're from the Nederlands.:D;)

Doubt they'd be allowed into this country, being part wolf, which is a shame. I kept thinking that tiny piece of photo looked like a German Shepherd in Wolf's 'clothing' - and I didn't know they were bred as a cross between those two breeds.

This is a fun competition and we all learn something too.:)

Anneke

Honored Member
Actually, Mary, there is no wolf in the Saarloos anymore. Wolfs and german shepherds were used to start the breed, but since then there has been no use of wolfs. So it is not a hybride or a cross. It is a breed that looks like a wolf and is close to the wolf in charater, but it is a dog. Not an easy dog, certainly not for everyone. But to show that they are very trainable: they have been used as seeing-eye dogs for the blind in the past. And as guarddog. But now they are just familydogs, not a workingbreed. ;)
I'll have a look around to see what I will choose...

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Congratulations Anneke!:)(y)

What a beautiful dog, I've never seen one before.

Hey Running Dog we were half right, we got the 'wolf' part right:rolleyes::confused:

Just googled to find out more about the breed. LOL no wonder Anneke got it right, they're from the Nederlands.:D;)

Doubt they'd be allowed into this country, being part wolf, which is a shame. I kept thinking that tiny piece of photo looked like a German Shepherd in Wolf's 'clothing' - and I didn't know they were bred as a cross between those two breeds.

This is a fun competition and we all learn something too.:)
I think they are gorgeous dogs... Never seen one in 'real life' though but there is a dog we walk with sometimes that is similar looking... It has no wolf in it and is a permutation of german shepherd. Everyone we meet when I walk with them think it is a wolf but he is the softest most playful dog. I will have to take a pic to show you.