Fun Question

How many clickers do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anneke

Honored Member
I

I almost got a clicker with a target stick attatched to it. How do you like yours and would you recommend them? I had to birthday shop for my boy though and got him so JW balls instead. I didn't think he'd like getting a clicker for his birthday. That's more of a present for me lol:ROFLMAO: I'm weird, I know but I LOVE clickers!!!
I love it! I used to have a targetstick and a clicker, so when training, I had my hands full and was juggling with clicker, targetstick, treats and getting the dog in position...
This tagetstick/clicker is soo much easier!!

DaniG

I love it! I used to have a targetstick and a clicker, so when training, I had my hands full and was juggling with clicker, targetstick, treats and getting the dog in position...
This tagetstick/clicker is soo much easier!!

I agree. I LOVE my ClikStick =)

Dogster

Honored Member
That is the exact same clicker that I used to have. Oh, how I loved him!:love: He vanished a few months back and I was devastated. I finally bought a new one a few days ago, but it isn't the same. That clicker was just plain awesome!!! I taught Kodi so many tricks using it. I'm crazy for mourning a clicker, aren't I? Lol :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Rofl!!!

SD&B

Experienced Member
That is the exact same clicker that I used to have. Oh, how I loved him!:love: He vanished a few months back and I was devastated. I finally bought a new one a few days ago, but it isn't the same. That clicker was just plain awesome!!! I taught Kodi so many tricks using it. I'm crazy for mourning a clicker, aren't I? Lol :ROFLMAO:
That was my first non-box clicker. Great little clicker. Also very loud - great for a noisy environment. I think they are Starmark clickers.

SD&B

Experienced Member
I

I almost got a clicker with a target stick attatched to it. How do you like yours and would you recommend them? I had to birthday shop for my boy though and got him so JW balls instead. I didn't think he'd like getting a clicker for his birthday. That's more of a present for me lol:ROFLMAO: I'm weird, I know but I LOVE clickers!!!
I like my target stick with a clicker. I have the retractable kind. It's just less wieldy than trying to hold a target stick and treats in the same hand. You need one less hand. Goodness knows, sometimes we need 3 or 4 hands as it is!

Evie

Experienced Member
I have one..... Have only ever owned the one clicker...... It's usually in my bag or attached to my treat pouch. If i don't have it with me it's not the end of the world because Evie is conditioned to the word 'yes' but the clicker is definitely more effective and always used when training new tricks.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//I don't own a clicker, but from the sounds of it, i need to try one!!!//

GeorgeDad, you should try one! I resisted trying one, for long time, "my dog is learning tricks just fine without a gizmo, and i don't want to be tied to some gizmo for training...blah blah blah."
But others here convinced me to just try one.
so i did.
now i am huge convert to the power of a click. Using a clicker, my dog "got" tricks MUCH faster than by just giving him praise and/or treats.
One can mark the behavior more precisely with a clicker. The dog learns a click means "YES! THAT is what i want!" <----the dog learns that sooooooo solidly,
that if you accidentally click a wrong move, ONE (1) TIME!!
dog WILL continue to offer that wrong move for a while,:ROFLMAO: since your click told him "yes". To undo accidentally clicking a wrong move,
you have to ignore the wrong move (no click/treat) for several times, til dog stops doing the wrong move.

Yes, GeorgeDad, you should see what a clicker can do. It's how they train the killer whales at Seaworld, it's how the circus gets tigers to jump through rings of fire.....is a clicker.

//Which one is the best to use?//

I don't think it matters to the dog at all. Some humans prefer one type over another. I got the cheapest $1 kind at the Petsmart. It is a bit TOO loud, as it is a box clicker. So i added a piece of tape to it, to soften the sound just a bit.
Otherwise, if i accidentally click TOO close to my dog's head, i might have hurt his ear.

whatever kind you buy, buy 2 or 3 if you lose one. Don't leave them lying around, your friends will mess with it, and confuse the dog.
Here are 4 blogs on clicker training from the site admin:
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/blog/category/clicker-training

New thread from Anneke with link on clicker training.
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/clickertraining-explained-free-ebook.5015/

other good sites include Karen Pryor clicker training site.

SD&B

Experienced Member
I don't own a clicker, but from the sounds of it, i need to try one!!! Which one is the best to use?
That's a matter of personal preference. I personally like the iclicker style. I like that the button protrudes. I'm not good at timing and I find it easier to click. You can also click them in more positions.

A couple of examples

The starmark uses a similar style to the iclicker.

Tigerlily spoke of a box clicker. They are easy to find, inexpensive and do the job. Here is an example of one of those.

I'm just lousy with a box clicker, but if it works for you, it works for you. Now you have a bit more information on what they look like and what we're talking about when we mention varioius clickers.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Yeah, i need to get one of those protruding button kind...i wonder, can one click them with your mouth?:ROFLMAO: when i was teaching Buddy to hold his one paw on his forehead, for "headache"
i did it by first, holding his paw,
and then, luring him to put his face UNDER that paw, to get a treat,
but, as you can picture,
i now had no hand left to CLICK!:ROFLMAO:

and my box-clicker is still too loud to click by his head, either, even though i have added some tape to it to soften the noise down a bit........but i could not use either hand, both hands so close to his head, to click my box clicker.

what i ended up doing, was,:rolleyes: for the lure---i ended up holding an upside down cup, which had some scents inside of it, and had the cup over a clicker, as the lure...then i could click Buddy for his putting his head under his paw, cuz cup muffled the click enough.