Fun Question

How many clickers do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SD&B

Experienced Member
Why would anyone need to have a clicker with them constantly?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the clicker was only really used while training the trick and then when the dog knows the trick you don't need a clicker. So you would only need the clicker if you are planning to practice a new trick (ie, during training time at home, in obedience class or agility and maybe on a walk but I would think you would teach the new trick at home first not on a walk)

Or is everyone ready to "capture" a trick at all times? (I've never captured a trick so I don't know if maybe that is what everyone is doing)
That's a good question. I take my clickers to class and sometimes on walks or other public places. Even though Sundog picks up the initial trick quickly, I am always working on the 3 D's, which can take quite a while to perfect and I am clicking a trick for a long time. I often work on variations. Sometimes I am working on capturing. I am also prone to the occasional spontaneous short training session. Sometimes I don't remember where a certain clicker is, but I know where another is. I don't like having to hunt down a clicker. I always have more than one in my class bag, so that I can lend one to a friend if I need to. And sometimes I actually lose one or just can't find it. It just works better for me to have more than one clicker and I know there are times when I didn't have one handy and I would have liked to have had it handy.

I'm interested in what more experienced (or less experienced too) people might have to say on this subject.

I usually have treats in my pocket too. Everyone thinks it's kinda' funny when I work on recalls in the woods while off-leash hiking using rewards and the premack principle, but it works. Even if I don't have a clicker handy, I can usually still mark and reward.

SD&B

Experienced Member
Forgot my targetstick... that has a clicker in it too... So I have 6
LOL. I think I have the same target stick.

The other night, I forgot to bring my target stick upstairs. I yelled for Sundog's Dad to throw it up to me. He said, why don't I just let Sundog bring it. Since she works on her carry off and on, I thought that was a great idea. She took it, but dropped it. She immediately picked it up on her own and charged up the stairs, bringing it right to me. I thought she did a terrific job, especially since I was out of sight and I didn't call her. I think she considers that a really fun trick.

Dlilly

Honored Member
I lose my clickers all the time, so I have 4. 3 are new, and 1 is old and is a little chewed up. I just buy the Petsmart box brand clickers, that cost a dollar, and put flame tape on them. (I put flame tape on all of my agility equipment, so I thought it would be cool if my clicker matched!)

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Why would anyone need to have a clicker with them constantly?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the clicker was only really used while training the trick and then when the dog knows the trick you don't need a clicker. So you would only need the clicker if you are planning to practice a new trick (ie, during training time at home, in obedience class or agility and maybe on a walk but I would think you would teach the new trick at home first not on a walk)

Or is everyone ready to "capture" a trick at all times? (I've never captured a trick so I don't know if maybe that is what everyone is doing)
As Anneke says above you are always training more than one trick at a time, at differenciating stages of clicking - plus I always make parts of my walks with Ripley training and parts of them fun/play sessions. On a walk she will have stages of being let off the lead to firstly sniff/play with dogs/run as she like/chase squirrels (as long as she is obidient to recall) and then we will have anywhere up to 10minutes of off lead training - heelwork in particular I am working on at the moment - another release and run and play/sniff etc and then more on or off lead training, again about 10 minutes. Walks are fun for her but training is also fun and important and I always will use my clicker to reward good behaviour, whether out on a walk or trick training at home or elsewhere.

I use the clicker as a tool with Ripley, in particular, because she can be food obsessed and will rush any wanted behaviour to reach the 'tasty tit-bit' but with a clicker she works for the click and not JUST for the food.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//Why would anyone need to have a clicker with them constantly?//

I don't carry my clicker "constantly" but pretty often, it's on my wrist.
I have clickers upstairs, and downstairs, when i am home, there's usually one nearby. I can use tugtoy play or whatever as the prize, if i am not near food.

and wherever i take Buddy, usually i will bring a clicker, and all walks, i have a clicker.
It works out great, to create mini-training lesson, and reward behaviors i like. Training stuff in odd places can be extra fun for the dog. It's all about fun.

My dog tends to be a lil more tuned in, if i have my clicker, too.

//but I would think you would teach the new trick at home first not on a walk)//

TONS OF THINGS to click on walk. Loose leash, "Lets' Go", heel, ignoring bunnies, "car", "corner", "stop", "look at me", really there's a long long list, doing stuff well in the house is one thing, doing it when there is squirrel right there, is whole other thing!:ROFLMAO: there's no harm if one clicks a known trick, done well, with a squirrel right there.

and training known tricks or tricks in progress to be well done, among distractions is ALWAYS a little bit challenging for *my* dog.

Lots of things to click on a walk....Especially for *my* dog!:rolleyes:
Maybe of all the things i have helped my dog learn, is to calmly walk by an unknown dog. No way to teach that in my living room,(he's "knows" all those dogs) it has to happen on a walk.

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Well my guess is I may have the most - at some point I have collected:
PETCO box clickers x3 [hate the sound]
ClixWhizz [whistle/clicker combo] x1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLIX-Whizz-Click-Clicker-Whistle-Obedience-Training-/400117625239#ht_2158wt_1163
iClick knockoff x2
Clikstick x1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clik-Stick-Dog-Clicker-Training-Sounds-All-1-Retractable-Target-Stick-/250993914201#ht_717wt_1163
Insect clickers x 30 [so I would have some to give new clients]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Insect-Clicker-Party-Favor-Fidget-Cricket-Clicker-/370530137832#ht_1015wt_1163

My favorite are the insect clickers - they have a great clear but mid level volume sound

Plus you can't beat getting 3 for under $2.00 - shipping makes it a bit more but they are well worth it.

Anneke

Honored Member
I'm going to look for those! My clickers tend to get stuck, because of treat crumbs or sand.
These might last a bit longer:D

running_dog

Honored Member
I have one clicker but me, Zac and the clicker are more or less inseparable!

@ 648117 I'm always planning to practice a new trick or planning to train a new trick... unless I'm actually practicing or training! There are just so many things to proof and capture and reinforce and shape and practice all the time everywhere I feel really lost without my clicker!

For example we went to a wood, I had no plans to train (it was kid's party not dog training :rolleyes:) but the clicker and treats were as always in my pocket...
  • Zac was on leash, there was a lot going on - a super opportunity to practice heel work with eye contact so out came the clicker.
  • Then Zac started offering paws up and tree hugging LOL I was so happy I had the clicker in my hand for that one!
  • We were waiting around for the kids but it wasn't safe to let Zac off, we spent the time clicker training - practicing volleyball and shaping with a wooden hurdle.
  • Gus was lunging after other dogs and running children so out came the clicker again... words were useless after the bombardment of "Gus" and "Puppy" he'd been enjoying but a couple of minutes with the clicker cut through his oblivion.
If there had been any prey showed up Zac would have been working on desensitisation (so much easier with a clicker in your hand). Just one walk, so many opportunities for us and the clicker.

SD&B

Experienced Member

SD&B

Experienced Member
I have one clicker but me, Zac and the clicker are more or less inseparable!

@ 648117 I'm always planning to practice a new trick or planning to train a new trick... unless I'm actually practicing or training! There are just so many things to proof and capture and reinforce and shape and practice all the time everywhere I feel really lost without my clicker!

For example we went to a wood, I had no plans to train (it was kid's party not dog training :rolleyes:) but the clicker and treats were as always in my pocket...
  • Zac was on leash, there was a lot going on - a super opportunity to practice heel work with eye contact so out came the clicker.
  • Then Zac started offering paws up and tree hugging LOL I was so happy I had the clicker in my hand for that one!
  • We were waiting around for the kids but it wasn't safe to let Zac off, we spent the time clicker training - practicing volleyball and shaping with a wooden hurdle.
  • Gus was lunging after other dogs and running children so out came the clicker again... words were useless after the bombardment of "Gus" and "Puppy" he'd been enjoying but a couple of minutes with the clicker cut through his oblivion.
If there had been any prey showed up Zac would have been working on desensitisation (so much easier with a clicker in your hand). Just one walk, so many opportunities for us and the clicker.
Yesterday, I went hiking in the woods and forgot my clicker. I would have liked to have had it. We practiced a couple of tricks and I do think she would have been more serious if I had had the clicker.

Ivy

So many clickers!! I only have one...that I bought five years ago! Yep still have my very first and only clicker that I bought five years ago when I started training my dog! The style is similar to an iclicker but is from a different brand. It's all black and you can keep it on your wrist!

Dice Smith

Damn it, I have 2 not 1, like I voted.:cautious:

I have 1 cheap one from Petsmart, that I never use, but the one I use is this one
That is the exact same clicker that I used to have. Oh, how I loved him!:love: He vanished a few months back and I was devastated. I finally bought a new one a few days ago, but it isn't the same. That clicker was just plain awesome!!! I taught Kodi so many tricks using it. I'm crazy for mourning a clicker, aren't I? Lol :ROFLMAO:

Dice Smith

I
Forgot my targetstick... that has a clicker in it too... So I have 6
I almost got a clicker with a target stick attatched to it. How do you like yours and would you recommend them? I had to birthday shop for my boy though and got him so JW balls instead. I didn't think he'd like getting a clicker for his birthday. That's more of a present for me lol:ROFLMAO: I'm weird, I know but I LOVE clickers!!!