Evie B - Border Collie

Evie

Experienced Member
Decided to make a better video of Evie showing her tongue. I think I've accidently turned my dog into a lizard though :rolleyes: When ever she wants something now, she'll try showing you her tongue to see if it will work lol. And when we're training a new trick, the tongue comes out all the time... just to make sure that's not what we want lol

Evie

Experienced Member
That is a very cuter trick.

How did you teach it?

By putting peanut butter on her nose LOL!! :oops::p

To begin, I put peanut butter on her nose, and clicked for every time she licked it off. Then within a week I had her licking her nose without the peanut butter (it still wasn't on cue, but if I was patient enough when I asked her the cue about 100 times she'd lick it for me). And then once she associated licking her nose with the cue, i started only rewarding 'licks' that DIDNT touch her nose. It was a very easy trick to teach, but it does take a LOT of time to refine.

Evie's had this trick up her sleeve since she was about 5 months old, only I never got around to making a video of it :p

Honored Member
By putting peanut butter on her nose LOL!! :oops::p

To begin, I put peanut butter on her nose, and clicked for every time she licked it off. Then within a week I had her licking her nose without the peanut butter (it still wasn't on cue, but if I was patient enough when I asked her the cue about 100 times she'd lick it for me). And then once she associated licking her nose with the cue, i started only rewarding 'licks' that DIDNT touch her nose. It was a very easy trick to teach, but it does take a LOT of time to refine.

Evie's had this trick up her sleeve since she was about 5 months old, only I never got around to making a video of it :p

I tried to teach Holly to stick her tongue out about a month ago using a spoon. I put some peanut butter on the back of it and clicked everytime she licked it. Then once the peanut butter was gone she kept up the licking, then I tried to click just before her tongue made contact with the spoon and then give her a treat but I don't think my timing was very good (and Holly tongue is quick) so we never progressed from there.
I thought I might have been trying to teach it wrong .

I might have another go at it soon though and try to be more patient.

Evie

Experienced Member
It does take a bit of time to teach for the dog to realise that their tongue moving is something they can get treated for. I don't even think most dogs realise they have tongues .... kind of like most dogs don't seem to realise they have back legs until you do some sort of back-end awareness with them lol