Evie B - Border Collie

Discussion in 'Meet the Dogs' started by Evie, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Evie Experienced Member

Decided to make a better video of Evie showing her tongue. I think I've accidently turned my dog into a lizard though :rolleyes: When ever she wants something now, she'll try showing you her tongue to see if it will work lol. And when we're training a new trick, the tongue comes out all the time... just to make sure that's not what we want lol

2. Mr-Remington Experienced Member

That is so cute! It reminds me of a snake!
    MaryK and Evie like this.
  3. jeanniecogan Well-Known Member

i love her ears. and the rest of her.
    MaryK and Evie like this.
  4. k9 crazed Experienced Member

That's adorable!!!
    MaryK, Evie and Mr-Remington like this.
  5. 648117 Honored Member

That is a very cuter trick.
    How did you teach it?
  6. Dogster Honored Member

SO cute!!!!!!:love:
  7. Evie Experienced Member

By putting peanut butter on her nose LOL!! :oops::p

To begin, I put peanut butter on her nose, and clicked for every time she licked it off. Then within a week I had her licking her nose without the peanut butter (it still wasn't on cue, but if I was patient enough when I asked her the cue about 100 times she'd lick it for me). And then once she associated licking her nose with the cue, i started only rewarding 'licks' that DIDNT touch her nose. It was a very easy trick to teach, but it does take a LOT of time to refine.

Evie's had this trick up her sleeve since she was about 5 months old, only I never got around to making a video of it :p
    648117, southerngirl, MaryK and 2 others like this.
  8. MaryK Honored Member

So cute!! :love:
    Mr-Remington likes this.
  9. 648117 Honored Member

I tried to teach Holly to stick her tongue out about a month ago using a spoon. I put some peanut butter on the back of it and clicked everytime she licked it. Then once the peanut butter was gone she kept up the licking, then I tried to click just before her tongue made contact with the spoon and then give her a treat but I don't think my timing was very good (and Holly tongue is quick) so we never progressed from there.
    I thought I might have been trying to teach it wrong .

I might have another go at it soon though and try to be more patient.
    Mr-Remington likes this.
  10. Evie Experienced Member

It does take a bit of time to teach for the dog to realise that their tongue moving is something they can get treated for. I don't even think most dogs realise they have tongues .... kind of like most dogs don't seem to realise they have back legs until you do some sort of back-end awareness with them lol
  11. Evie Experienced Member

Oh and be warned! If you do teach this trick, be prepared to see your dogs tongue when ever you're doing training... and well.... just all the time tbh. Evie loves poking her tongue out now :rolleyes: