Blue Merle Border Collies

krazykaine3

Reputable Border Collie Breeders

Does anyone here know any reputable BC breeders that use the Super Dog program?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Technically, anyone with a border collie can have blue merles. They aren't a separate breed, and breeding merles to merles is a recipe for health problems for the pups. Blue merles are simply a rare outcome. Find a reputable border collie breeder, and see if they have either a merle stud or a merle bitch. Most breeders will let you reserve a merle puppy before the litter is born, and if they don't have one, they will give you the option of either waiting for the next litter or breeding another pair of dogs.

ruffmuttk9z

For doG's sake, if you're going to buy a puppy, buy one for it's temperament and personality, not for it's color! It's no wonder our wonderful Border Collie breed is going down the drain.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I don't think she was saying she wanted one regardless of personality and temperament. She was only inquiring about the color and the breed. I too would seek out a merle, provided the temperament met my needs. Eventually I do want a merle. She never said she didn't care about temperament and personality.

ruffmuttk9z

You're right. She didn't say she wasn't interested in temperament. The only criteria she listed here was color. Which to me (and to most) means it's the most important criteria. When you're talking about border collies, color should be the last criteria on the list.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
And as a fellow BC owner and lover, I completely agree. =) I think her question here was simply how merles came about/how common they were. She did ask for reputable breeders, which tells me she is not looking for a puppy mill breeder who is breeding solely for color. She didn't really have to ask here about temperament/personality, because none of us could really answer that as it varies with breeding. Therefore that is simply a question for the breeder, which I think is why she didn't mention it. =)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I have seen one or two BC merles go by on Petfinders.com, even a rare "lilac" BC go by when i was searching for my Buddy. At Petfinders, you can specify a few things, and get 'alerts' when such a dog comes within so many miles of you.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
WOW never seen a lilac on Petfinder but if I did I'd probably have a heart attack, lol. I know someone who will be breeding her blue merle female later this year and I already have pick of the litter. (YIPPEE!) I've always wanted a merle but for some reason lately I've been aching for just a plain old red. Lol. They're gorgeous... If she has a merle and a red in the litter I just don't know what I'm going to do, lol! Maybe settle for a red merle, lol. xD I ran across a BLUE right after I got Zeke and was soooo tempted to get it too...then came across a CREAM entirely by accident and I just about killed myself. But I love my Zekers so that's fine by me, even if he is a halfbreed lol. He's my boy nonetheless.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
This one I've known for a long time. She knows exactly how I raise my dogs and I know how she raises hers. She used to show, A LOT, but has gotten out of it for a variety of life reasons. She's quite proud of this female and still wants to get a pup from her. I don't really have my heart set on a merle, but I know and like this female very much. So we'll see what happens. :dogwub: But it's not for a looong while now, so it won't be anytime soon.

snooks

Experienced Member
TXCG I know you know all about the merle issue..this was more aimied at krazykaine since i didn't know if they were aware of the lethal potential of merle/merle breeding. someone that is asking for a reputable breeder and doesn't know where to find one generally needs a little more info to make sure they make a smart informed decision. and since they were asking I assumed....my goal is healthy dogs for everyone. :doglaugh:

yoyopoodle

ruffmuttk9z;12423 said:
For doG's sake, if you're going to buy a puppy, buy one for it's temperament and personality, not for it's color! It's no wonder our wonderful Border Collie breed is going down the drain.

LOL... this is true and I totally agree with it, but.... have you seen any videos of her and Kaine? Any dog that Ashley were to get would be right up there in the top 10 luckiest dogs in the world, so it's kind of funny to see her get cautioned as to choosing a dog with a good temperament :dogblush:

-Jillian

montsterdog

I would also check out rescue listings first. However, if you are set to getting a puppy from a breeder, I would do A LOT of research before buying one. Don't believe that the breeder is a good border collie breeder just if they have a nice website, do health testing, and make everything sound just wonderful. Do your own research. Write on message boards asking about the breeder, research people's blogs, ask a lot of questions, find people who have dogs from the particular breeder who can tell you the good, bad, and the ugly. I really wish I'd done more research before buying my first Border Collie...

Good luck finding your puppy Ashley!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
yoyopoodle;18027 said:
LOL... this is true and I totally agree with it, but.... have you seen any videos of her and Kaine? Any dog that Ashley were to get would be right up there in the top 10 luckiest dogs in the world, so it's kind of funny to see her get cautioned as to choosing a dog with a good temperament :dogblush:

-Jillian
Lol these were my thoughts exactly when I read this post. ^^ Ashley does a wonderful job with Kaine and I wouldn't be concerned a bit if I were a BC breeder and she were wanting my pups.

krazykaine3

Thank you for the information. I have been doing a lot of research about BC in general and have found some highly reputable breeders. Two of the breeders use the Superdog program and they are clicker trainers (bonus)! They extensively socialize their puppies and don't breed often. The real test, of course, will be to go and see the place for myself.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I do not choose a dog simply because "I like it's color" or because "it's pretty." I did a lot research before I got Kaine. I even waited over 12 years to get a GSD. I had to modify my lifestyle to meet his needs (like daily walks 2x a day, running at the park, mental exercises, ect.).

I even turned down a GSD breeder once I went to visit their house when I realized they were back yard breeders. The ad looked flawless, but going to visit and observe where the puppies were kept, what types of socialization they received, how the parents behave, ect. is the real test.

Ashley & Kaine CGC, NTD

ruffmuttk9z

I can tell you now, just about any breeder of blue merle border collies is breeding dogs solely for profit and nothing else, regardless of what they make you believe.

I've got a nice blue merle rescue boy here right now. Want him? He's 2 1/2 and comes from one of the "best sports dog breeders" in the country and I've got his papers to prove it. Someone paid at least $1000 for this dog. Why the heck is he in rescue if he came from such a marvelous breeder?????

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
What a beauty! Ruffmutz, are plugged into any of the various online Border Collie rescue websites? And Petfinder? To post this dog for people to see him? He's such a looker, i bet he'd draw a lot of interest!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
ruffmuttk9z;19507 said:
I can tell you now, just about any breeder of blue merle border collies is breeding dogs solely for profit and nothing else, regardless of what they make you believe.

I've got a nice blue merle rescue boy here right now. Want him? He's 2 1/2 and comes from one of the "best sports dog breeders" in the country and I've got his papers to prove it. Someone paid at least $1000 for this dog. Why the heck is he in rescue if he came from such a marvelous breeder?????

HA! i still don't have the quote thing down yet!! I was trying to capture you remark about "why would an excellent dog end up in rescue?"

THERE ARE A LOTTA EXCELLLENT DOGS IN RESCUE!! for all kindsa reasons. sometimes on Petfinders, they state, Owner is sick, owner lost job, moving, doesn't like our other dog, etc etc...The dog coulda been dumped by some jerk, or got lost on his own....sometimes the rescue board says "was considered by owner to be hyper, is FINE with me." and stuff. Sometimes it was not good human/dog match up. Doesn't mean the dog is flawed!!!

I am big rescue a dog fan, hoping they will all find good homes. One by one, until there are none...:dogbiggrin:

I strongly urge anyone looking for a dog or a puppy, or a baby dog----- to check out PETFINDERS.COM!!! I have indeed seen evne the rare lilac border collies on Petfinders, and merles, and every color you can think of!!!! Even some blues. I remember, because i wasn't aware they even CAME in that color!!! Of course, i WAS looking every day for a looonnnggg lonnngg period of time to find the right dog for us to SAVE AND RESCUE!! AND i was signed up email alerts on any BCs within so many miles of my home...and then i'd end up just looking at them all, see.....so i saw them all going by, unwanted perfectly great lil dogs, off to death row cuz people wanna 'BUY" their dog, often, "so they know what they are getting" BAH HAHA!!:msngiggle: As if!

Or go look at a rescue board of the breed you are interested in!! A bazillion dogs a day, perfectly great lil dogs!! and baby dogs!! are being put down, while others are "$elling" dogs...Each dog that is "bought" is one less dog that makes it off death row....
and now i step back down off my soapbox..:dogrolleyes: sorry.